Native Chief XL - FOLDER!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kobold

Re: Are You Up For A Native Chief XL?!

Post by kobold »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:10 am
I do like big knives and occasionally carry my K2 but it is a little over the top. I might buy one for the novelty but I would rather see a 3.5 inch Native/Chief.
thewoodpecker wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:19 am
I'd rather see something between the Chief and the 5 in the Native family.
PocketShredder wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:20 am
I wouldn’t be opposed to a Native Chief XL, but I’d sooner like to see a mid-size (3.5”) Native or a SE Native Chief.
Enactive wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:38 pm
I like the Chief a lot as it is. As for "next in the family" I would also prefer a 3.5 inch Native with a mid lockback and same build as the N5 and Chief. I like the Shaman a lot, but it is bulky and the outlier of the family.

I am with you guys.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

kobold wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:27 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
I do like big knives and occasionally carry my K2 but it is a little over the top. I might buy one for the novelty but I would rather see a 3.5 inch Native/Chief.
thewoodpecker wrote:
PocketShredder wrote:
I wouldn’t be opposed to a Native Chief XL, but I’d sooner like to see a mid-size (3.5”) Native or a SE Native Chief.
Enactive wrote:
I like the Chief a lot as it is. As for "next in the family" I would also prefer a 3.5 inch Native with a mid lockback and same build as the N5 and Chief. I like the Shaman a lot, but it is bulky and the outlier of the family.
I am with you guys.

OK, so why don't you guys start your own thread and request the knife that you would like in that thread. I will say though that I have more than enough knives with blades between 3 and 3.6 inches.

This thread is in support of a Native Chief XL, which many have pointed out would be an excellent knife.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:37 pm
OK, so why don't you guys start your own thread and request the knife that you would like in that thread. I will say though that I have more than enough knives with blades between 3 and 3.6 inches.

This thread is in support of a Native Chief XL, which many have pointed out would be an excellent knife.
I'm with you.

Bring on the XL!
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:43 pm
Naperville wrote:

I'm with you.

Bring on the XL!
Yep, well said. There's a wealth of options in that size range, including the Shaman which aside from the lock is quite similar to a scaled down Chief.

There's very few models in the size range of a 4.5-5" blade Chief.

While I don't expect Spyderco to jump on this idea, I'd certainly buy one if they did.

I'm also interested in a Catcherman sprint or Catcherman 2, another long blade but lightweight folder. Mainly just want to see a modernized clip on it and some nice salt steel options.
:unicorn
James Y

Re: Native Chief XL?! No I Won't Shut Up!!!

Post by James Y »

There is definitely a market for “mega-folders,” even if it is a smaller share of the market. Look at Cold Steel. I can’t think of a better candidate in the Spyderco lineup at this moment than the Native Chief to have its own mega version.

Jim
Matus

Post by Matus »

I am fairly indifferent to both M and XL sized Chief. I am off to start a new thread 😋
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
kobold

Post by kobold »

Naperville wrote:
kobold wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:
thewoodpecker wrote:
PocketShredder wrote:
Enactive wrote:
I am with you guys.

Why ask a question if you don't wanna hear the answers? :thinking
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

kobold wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:40 pm
Naperville wrote:
kobold wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:
thewoodpecker wrote:
PocketShredder wrote:
Enactive wrote:
I am with you guys.

Why ask a question if you don't wanna hear the answers? :thinking
I returned to my first post and looked and I did ask. My bad...but if YOU want something, you do have to ask for it.

More threads are popping up with people asking for larger knives, so maybe this is a segment that needs to be addressed by Spyderco. WE are not the first persons asking for longer blades and WE will not be the last.

After seeing a general rendition of the knife by BOLSTER, I have to say that I like it, but that I would like a little more height in the blade, perhaps another 1/4 to 1/2 an inch by the time the blade edge stops at the choil. But by no means am I put off by the rendering that BOLSTER gave us.

Hopefully you can see that this is a worthwhile project for those of us that want the knife.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

:party-face
James Y

Post by James Y »

I think the Golden-engineered back lock, like on the Chief, would be the best lock for a Spyderco mega-folder like a Chief XL. For example, I wouldn’t want a mega-folder with a compression lock; the larger and longer blade would put more stress (and probably faster wear) on that little ball detent.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:32 pm
I think the Golden-engineered back lock, like on the Chief, would be the best lock for a Spyderco mega-folder like a Chief XL. For example, I wouldn’t want a mega-folder with a compression lock; the larger and longer blade would put more stress (and probably faster wear) on that little ball detent.

Jim
[+1] Back lock all the way!!!
MyelinSheath&Borborygmi

Post by MyelinSheath&Borborygmi »

Or maybe even Power Lock just as in Chinook 4 ?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

MyelinSheath&Borborygmi wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:48 pm
Or maybe even Power Lock just as in Chinook 4 ?
[+1]

Looks good. Sal and Eric would know whichever is the stronger lock and I leave it up to them(of course).

I don't mind the idea of liners either since it is a larger knife and liners might be necessary for the Power Lock.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have no need of one, but I would not be opposed to it being made. There are giants among us and they need proper fitting cutlery as well.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:10 pm
After seeing a general rendition of the knife by BOLSTER, I have to say that I like it, but that I would like a little more height in the blade, perhaps another 1/4 to 1/2 an inch by the time the blade edge stops at the choil. But by no means am I put off by the rendering that BOLSTER gave us.

I happen to know this dweeb, Bolster. He is an excessively lazy individual and all he did was use the Stretch command in Photoshop to create the XL version, then copy over the hole so it wasn't excessively ovalized. Then he went and ovalized the hole anyway with a bit more stretching, the jerk. But note that he did nothing to fix the (now ridiculously elongated) finger choil, etc. It's nice of you to say that you're not put off, but Bolster's weak efforts at artwork put me off every time. I'd like to use stronger language, but in view of not getting banned, let's just say that as an artist, Bolster is an incompetent hack.

:cussing
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

:thinking

:winking-tongue I've received warnings for less....
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:20 am
Naperville wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:10 pm

I happen to know this dweeb, Bolster. He is an excessively lazy individual and all he did was use the Stretch command in Photoshop to create the XL version, then copy over the hole so it wasn't excessively ovalized. Then he went and ovalized the hole anyway with a bit more stretching, the jerk. But note that he did nothing to fix the (now ridiculously elongated) finger choil, etc. It's nice of you to say that you're not put off, but Bolster's weak efforts at artwork put me off every time. I'd like to use stronger language, but in view of not getting banned, let's just say that as an artist, Bolster is an incompetent hack.

:cussing
Ok, first off, I read this and was quickly trying to sign in to defend your honor. The new Avatar threw me.

2nd, I have no 2nd.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:42 am

Ok, first off, I read this and was quickly trying to sign in to defend your honor. The new Avatar threw me.

2nd, I have no 2nd.

LOL. No second needed. Solidarity of the Nobility!

So I found Bolster...sleeping of course...and stood over him while I supervised Naper's suggested changes, particularly a bit taller blade. He complained that he'd never buy a folder that big, but I told him to do it anyway. Was painful to watch, he makes so many mistakes. Then I made him fix the finger choil, too. Looks ever so slightly Shamanized now, does it not...?
Attachments
Stretch Chief 2.jpg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wonder what the weight would be if they could keep it linerless? Maybe 5.25-5.5oz?
:unicorn
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:40 am
LOL. No second needed. Solidarity of the Nobility!

So I found Bolster...sleeping of course...and stood over him while I supervised Naper's suggested changes, particularly a bit taller blade. He complained that he'd never buy a folder that big, but I told him to do it anyway. Was painful to watch, he makes so many mistakes. Then I made him fix the finger choil, too. Looks ever so slightly Shamanized now, does it not...?
Most fantastico! I'll take 4....TAKE MY MONEY!

:drooling