OpFocus Program Update (FIXED)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wolfeman

Re: OpFocus Program Update

Post by wolfeman »

Also a pharmacist here. I was also a member of the previous OpFocus Program before the migration to the ID.me verification. I was happy when registering that ID.me considered pharmacists to be medical professionals but quickly deflated after finding out that Spyderco chose to exclude pharmacists from that group.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear wolfeman:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
wolfeman

Post by wolfeman »

Sorry for the duplicate post. I had posted and didn't realize that the post was pending approval. I just thought it didn't go through. Thank you, Michael, for the welcome.

Jeremy
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

To All:

I just finished a meeting with our Marketing Team and our Sales and Marketing Director. We confirmed that the exclusion of pharmacists under the ID.me program was an unfortunate mistake. We never made a deliberate decision to take that profession off the list. The list of professions offered by ID.me is enormous and in the hours that it took to manually review it, we made an error.

That error has been fixed and pharmacists should once again be able to register for the OpFocus program and enjoy its benefits. If in this process you run into any issues, please let us know via PM and we'll do our best to sort them out as quickly and efficiently as possible.

We are also ensuring that all members of our Sales Staff are aware that this was an unintentional error and that they have a clear understanding of all the professions eligible under the OpFocus program.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Stay safe,

Mike
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Opfocus is a nice benefit
Last edited by DOUBLE D on Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DOUBLE D wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:30 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:15 pm
RustyIron wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:53 am
Freediver wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:11 am

... For any of us to complain because we don't receive a gift is self-centered and greedy.
I think Freediver made it clear that this is not about the "gift"/discount, but about how his profession is seen (resp. not seen anymore)

I think that just because a profession is hard, or helpful to others, or puts you in dangerous situations doesn’t mean you deserve discounts, or recognition. I definitely have respect for pharmacists, however, they make 2-4x as much as the military/first responder group that the Opfocus was meant for. A business has the right to choose who they want to help out and for what reasons they want to do so.

Someone mentioned the “recognition culture” that we live in, which I think is playing a part in some of these feelings. The pandemic has definitely increased this mindset where everyone wants to be recognized and considered a hero. (Could this be stemming from the “every child gets a trophy” phenomenon that began a decade ago?) This is just my personal feelings, but I don’t think anyone should be considered a hero or need recognition for doing the job they signed up for and get paid to do, even if it is to run into burning buildings.

If the doctor or pharmacist wants the discount/recognition of a program like the opfocus, then quit and get a job that pays half as much and is twice as dangerous, and then they will still have to hope that the company decides to keep the discount/recognition program around, which they don’t have to do at all. But If they do, then great.
Edit: I have no idea why the text in my post is in bold and large... ?!?!? :thinking

Valid points and well said!

But to put my post into context again: I was specifically replyinge to someone saying (quote)

" For any of us to complain because we don't receive a gift is self-centered and greedy"

And I personally think that does Freediver not right.

- He was not "complaining because he did not receive a gift", but disappointed, because his profession till recently was actually always considered as "medcial professionals" and qualified for the OP , and suddenly, without an explanation not anymore.
I can see why this can be confusing or disappointing, and it is not like he actually ASKED for a recognition, but just wondered why this established recognition was stopped
- He also made clear that this is not about the discount, and that he actually did not want that one.

Again and to be clear, I see and respect your very good points (and I am not a Pharmacist and not even American myself ;) ), but in this particular case I think some here are too hard on Freediver.
Just my 2c of course
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:47 pm
but in this particular case I think some here are too hard on Freediver.
i've been keeping my mouth shut for this one, but i agree 100%. it was a fair question/concern and none of the negativity in this thread was warranted at all, even if he was asking to be added back to the program.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Lol large and bold. You must be mad! Lol. My post wasn’t directed at you at all warstein, so I apologize if it came across that way!

Edit. Somehow mine is large and bold now!
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:14 am
To All:

I just finished a meeting with our Marketing Team and our Sales and Marketing Director. We confirmed that the exclusion of pharmacists under the ID.me program was an unfortunate mistake. We never made a deliberate decision to take that profession off the list. The list of professions offered by ID.me is enormous and in the hours that it took to manually review it, we made an error.

That error has been fixed and pharmacists should once again be able to register for the OpFocus program and enjoy its benefits. If in this process you run into any issues, please let us know via PM and we'll do our best to sort them out as quickly and efficiently as possible.

We are also ensuring that all members of our Sales Staff are aware that this was an unintentional error and that they have a clear understanding of all the professions eligible under the OpFocus program.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Stay safe,

Mike
Seems strange to quote myself, but this issue has been fixed. It was an error and has been corrected.

Stay safe,

Mike
GrandallK

Post by GrandallK »

Not that I have standing here (longtime lurker)...but I really appreciate Spyderco's response and their care for their customers. Bravo, team. Thank you!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DOUBLE D wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:12 pm
Lol large and bold. You must be mad! Lol. My post wasn’t directed at you at all warstein, so I apologize if it came across that way!

Edit. Somehow mine is large and bold now!
No need at all to apologize!

You made interesting points worth thinking about.
But since you quoted me, I just wanted to make clear how my comment was exactly meant in this context.

I think Freedivers surprise and disappointment is totally understandable and his post was perfectly fine, but your general thoughts about "recognition culture" are valid ones imho.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Thank you Mike and Spyderco for taking the time to address this. I am truly sorry to add more work to your plate during such a busy time and appreciate what you did.

Warstein and Ladybug93, thanks for the kind words and for actually being able to comprehend what my original post was about.

Outside of work, I rarely discuss what my profession is. I’m not looking for a pat on the back or a discount. There are plenty of people around with more important professions.

I enjoy these forums as a way to get away from stress and regret bringing some of that here.

Edit: This thread has probably run its course and can be shut down. Thanks again Mike.