Which endura to get?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cowboyfromhell

Re: Which endura to get?

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Ouch , I just read that write up by larrin on Zdp and in his conclusion he stated its the most overrated steel. Now Im not so sure on the Zdp variant. Might just get the teal s30v for only $89...that is a good deal!
Last edited by Cowboyfromhell on Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Still undecided as of now...
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:39 am
Ouch , I just read that write up by larrin on Zdp and in his conclusion he stated its the most overrated steel. Now Im not so sure on the Zdp variant. Might just get the teal s30v for only $89...that is a good deal!
Yeah, part of why I never had much interest in it. Seems like there is better edge retention in M390/20CV with better toughness and corrosion resistance. Probably better edge stability too which seems more important.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:39 am
It seems that S30V Teal is the better deal from what is currently available. That is about the same price or less than the VG-10 standard model.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The teal S30V is nice. I have one. I was never ga-ga over ZDP-189 like so many were. I have two knives in it and would rather have another steel. That's me. I kinda contrary sometimes, but I never saw the benefit. It is not very stainless (in fact it rusts easily). It is hard to sharpen. It is brittle. I'd rather have VG-10, S30V, or K390. S30V gets me very good edge retention, is easier that ZDP-189 to sharpen, and is not brittle. It is very rust resistant, too.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

What and why ? Depends on what you like in a knife and/or what you'd be using it for.

If it is just to have another variant of the design that would be really different from the K390, a serrated version might be nice.

The Endura 4 Wharncliffe serrated seems to be a killer knife ! And it could be used very differently and/or in very different situations than your K390 Endura.

Otherwise, there is the more "collection" route where you could pick up a "special" steel like S30V, 20CV, ZDP-189...
ZDP-189 is not a bad steel, it is overrated according to Larrin because it is not a super steel like many tend to say. It's still a steel that can achieve really high hardness and really good edge retention. You won't get Rockstead's level of performance out of it but it'll give you a run for your money.

I'd personnally pick S30V or 20CV if I had to buy a special run. And SE Wharncliffe if VG-10 is fine.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Another vote for the FFG SE Wharnie.

VG10 in SE is an amazing performer and so easy to maintain.
A few strokes on the brown rods and it's paper slicing sharp again.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

If ZDP-189 is out of the running, the 20CV exclusive would be next. The HAP40 pakkawood was out of stock last I looked but it’s in the running.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:46 am
I came across a vg10 sabre ground blade with stainless handles....this doesn't seem too common.

I got a stainless steel Endura quite recently and really like it a lot
Mine has the "old" sabre hollow grind though (not the true sabre grind) and tbh this is at least 50% of what makes this knife so nice...
(see also here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79554&start=2640#p1586011)

I'd try to find a sabre hollow instead of "just" sabre variant if I were you..

Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I agree 💯
ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:04 pm
pacific salt in se h1!

edited to add photo.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

I don’t think of ZDP-189 as a super steel in anything except holding a slicing edge far longer than anything else I’ve used. Something that made it stand out for me was cutting dirty and sandy felt sheets we use to wrap tree trunks and it would still slice 3 ply sisal rope cleanly with little effort. S110V, S30V, VG-10, S35VN, Hap-40, Rex-45 and a few others did not do as well in my experience. I haven’t used K390 in the same way yet so I can’t compare it. Compared to K390 I appreciate its better corrosion resistance in my environment. I don’t carry any tool steel to work until summer is over here for that reason.

I have to echo some on this thread though. VG-10 is underrated. While I like a lot of other steels if I were left with just an Endura in VG-10 I’d be able to do anything I want a folder to do.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wdr65 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:40 pm
I have to echo some on this thread though. VG-10 is underrated. While I like a lot of other steels if I were left with just an Endura in VG-10 I’d be able to do anything I want a folder to do.
I agree with this. Endura in VG-10 would leave me very happy and blessed with no other options.

MC could be a king of the Well Balanced Steels and that is what is exciting for me.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Crox

Post by Crox »

Casually reading this thread. I don’t own an Endura, but I now have teal s30v in my cart with an itchy trigger finger…..
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Crox wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:08 pm
Casually reading this thread. I don’t own an Endura, but I now have teal s30v in my cart with an itchy trigger finger…..
Do it! I did not realize it had dropped in price. That is an amazing deal. Better than the 20CV Knifejoy. And I think that is a great deal.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

I see quite a few people talking about vg10 being good, or underrated. I have to respectfully disagree. I have had very poor edge retention from vg10, even when taking the edge geometry quite thin, like 10 degrees per side. With so many other steels available on the endura, vg10 would be my very last choice.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

DOUBLE D wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:13 pm
I see quite a few people talking about vg10 being good, or underrated. I have to respectfully disagree. I have had very poor edge retention from vg10, even when taking the edge geometry quite thin, like 10 degrees per side. With so many other steels available on the endura, vg10 would be my very last choice.
I get that. There are certainly better options out there for edge retention. S30V for the same price or less is a know brainer in this format.

VG-10 does however provide a relatively easy to sharpen experience with an incredibly sharp edge for some of us with questionable sharpening skills. I am one of those who's sharpening skills are lacking, but VG-10 makes me look like I know what I am doing. I like that SPY27 is an updated PM steel based on VG-10 with higher HRC. It also sharpens well and strops back easily.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Crox

Post by Crox »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:09 pm

Do it! I did not realize it had dropped in price. That is an amazing deal. Better than the 20CV Knifejoy. And I think that is a great deal.
Well, I need no encouragement, but you tipped me over the edge. No tax and free shipping was too good to pass up. Looking forward to trying it out.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Crox wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:28 pm
JSumm wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:09 pm

Well, I need no encouragement, but you tipped me over the edge. No tax and free shipping was too good to pass up. Looking forward to trying it out.
The Endura is one of my favorite user designs. Lots of edge in a thin lightweight design. You will love it!
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I would have to agree about how good the endura is. It is legendary and one of spydercos oldest still in production.
Wdr65

Post by Wdr65 »

The Endura is tied for my favorite Spyderco along with the Manix LW. I have twelve plus two Pacific Salts. I want to add a few more, a spare ZDP model and an LC200N. Maybe a SE K390. My first obsession was the Delica but once I discovered the Endura I don’t think I’ve carried a Delica as a primary aside from a couple of times.