Would you purchase a Spyderco Kitchen Knife in LC200N?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you purchase a Spyderco Kitchen Knife in LC200N?

No, not interested in kitchen knives in LC200N
40%
No, but only because it isn't worth rebuying the knife for the upgraded steel.
2%
Yes, at current prices.
26%
Yes, at up to 25% price increase
14%
Yes, at up to 50% price increase
4%
Yes, at up to 75% price increase
No votes
Yes, at up to double current prices.
14%

Total votes: 50

Eli Chaps

Re: Would you purchase a Spyderco Kitchen Knife in LC200N?

Post by Eli Chaps »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:39 pm
Magnacut seems the better choice. With a toughness that can support thin grinds and sub 15dps edge angles.
Yes.
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

I like low edge angles and high hardness in the kitchen. Corrosion isn't an issue for my style of use and care. It can be a bonus, hence why I appreciate it in high impact ceramic, S110V/Vanax etc., but it isn't something important to me. There are way better steels that Spyderco uses which would fit kitchen use than LC200N
Matus

Post by Matus »

My personal take - I don’t need super stainless kitchen knives, in fact most of my kitchen knives are made from carbon steel. But I would not necessarily consider the high resistance to rusting a negative. But this steel only goes up to about 60 hrc and I prefer the feel and behavior of a higher hardness steels. BUT. Should Spyderco come up with a kitchen knife that would have grind geometry that I would be curious about, than I would not mind it being made out of LC200N. Maybe in the process I would find out it is mich better than I am willing to believe it is.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Magnacut seems the better choice. With a toughness that can support thin grinds and sub 15dps edge angles.
LC200N is tougher than Magnacut. Magnacut can be heat treated harder, so the overall edge stability might end up better than LC200N, but LC200N should also support thin grinds and low edge angles because it is tougher than most other stainless steels.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:38 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
LC200N is tougher than Magnacut. Magnacut can be heat treated harder, so the overall edge stability might end up better than LC200N, but LC200N should also support thin grinds and low edge angles because it is tougher than most other stainless steels.
Aogami Super can support very nice, thin grinds. It's what is used in the Carter colabs but, as has been said, I've read reports of them being somewhat thick in overall grind. No firsthand experience.

I doubt Spyderco would run an LC200N kitchen knife at steep angles and thin behind the edge.
Kale

Post by Kale »

Thanks everyone, interesting feedback. Just to refine my thoughts, in response to Eli and others... I appreciate excellent corrosion resistance for any knife that's going to be cleaned and maintained by someone other than myself. Way easier to just choose a steel that can tolerate everyday abuse (soaking in the sink, etc.) than to get people to change their habits.

Same goes for choosing a knife as a gift. In my experience, kitchen knives typically have great corrosion resistance and poor edge retention. So most people will no doubt appreciate the edge-holding of MBS-26, but I don't know if it can handle the aforementioned abuse, to the extent that people are accustomed (not that MBS-26 is particularly prone to corrosion, but there have been anecdotal reports of rusting from care that I wouldn't consider abusive). For a gift to someone who is not a knife person, I want it to be reasonably idiot-proof. LC200N does that.

Fair point about Magnacut -- its corrosion resistance and toughness are no doubt good enough and the additional edge-holding would be worthwhile. If Spyderco can acquire enough for their kitchen knives, I can see that being hugely popular.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:51 pm
metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:38 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Aogami Super can support very nice, thin grinds. It's what is used in the Carter colabs but, as has been said, I've read reports of them being somewhat thick in overall grind. No firsthand experience.

I doubt Spyderco would run an LC200N kitchen knife at steep angles and thin behind the edge.
Toughness *and edge retention. I left that out. Yes LC200N has a little more raw toughness, but Magnacut makes up for it in edge retention. Thin edges that last.

And as long as it's thin behind the edge, I can take of the edge angle.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

I use my kitchen knives and then wash and dry them. I have no real need for high rust resistance in a knife that is always within a couple feet of the sink.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Setheronie

Post by Setheronie »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
My thoughts exactly.

Maybe the no stain isn't a huge priority for some and fireman makes a good point, but with 63+ HRC, micro edge stability and extreme angles sound like a perfect job for Magnacut. Sharpening Magnacut on my mule isn't bad either, but maybe not ideal for the commercial chef.
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

I just commissioned a knife maker to make me an 8” chefs knife in LC200N. I guess I’ll find out in a couple of months what kind of kitchen knife it makes, but I’m betting that it’s going to be a step up from my Wushtof’s.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

I’ve been trying to track down one of zwilling’s old knives in their version of lc200n for YEARS. I would snatch up an lc200n kitchen spydie in a heartbeat, would go right to work.

Edit: Well that or magnacut. Why not both.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Honestly, I'd just kill for some VG-10 kitchen knives. But Magnacut would be fantastic.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Matus

Post by Matus »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:39 pm
Honestly, I'd just kill for some VG-10 kitchen knives. But Magnacut would be fantastic.
VG-10 is pretty OK for kitchen knives, but it would not be a good marketing move IMO for Spyderco - especially given the existing market is flooded with VG-10 'higher end' kitchen knives.

I also expect Magnacut to be a great steel for kitchen knives, but give that these blades are pre definition much larger than pocket knives, it also means that steel at the price category of Magnacut would probably brings a non negligible price increase (and plus of course the higher machining costs relative to something likt BD1N). I don't expect Spyderco kitchen knives in Magnacut anytime soon for these reasons. In general it is not easy to penetrate the enthusiast kitchen knife market for comapnies like Spyderco, as those users are usually much more oriented towards hand/manufacture made (read - Japanese) or custom knives (I would count myself in that group). So bringing a gyuto in Magnacut for around $500 (just my guess) could be a tough sell.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

For me, it would come down to whether or not LC200N was available in similar thicknesses to the past and current MBS-26 blades. If so, then I'd be interested, even more so if they could be done a bit "higher end" with full tang handles and nice looking scales. That would mean blades around 1.4mm for a new version of the K03, 1.5mm for a new version of the K02.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!