Lanyard Hole In Spyderco Models: Important Or Not?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SRT392HEMI

Re: Lanyard Hole In Spyderco Models: Important Or Not?

Post by SRT392HEMI »

A lanyard hole doesn't bother me, but I have no need for lanyards. Wouldn't affect my decision on whether or not to purchase a particular knife.
vivi

Post by vivi »

never used one, never had a need. wouldn't miss them if they were never used again, but them being there doesn't exactly bother me.
:unicorn
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

The only time I've used lanyards on anything has been while climbing. I always used one on my nut tool, and when I carried it, a camera. The only reason for doing so is because losing those items could be a big inconvenience. Dropping a knife while standing on the ground could hardly be considered an inconvenience, but using a knife that's tied to my pants seems awful.
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

Tried them, didn't like it. I like lanyards on fixed blades, knives too small for a full grip, and possibly salt knives. Everything else it just gets in my way. I have no issues with lanyard holes but I feel like there are better ways to tackle this issue. First, way more people use pocket clips than lanyards. So imo the pocket clip should have priority of placement. Secondly, can't we attach the lanyard in a more elegant way? What about the CRK method of wrapping around a standoff? Seems much better to me.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I don’t use lanyards or fobs.

I’m fairly handy with cordage and can tie all sorts but I find they all end up filthy in no time on any knife I use regularly.

If I were to use a lanyard or fob, I’d plait one using kangaroo leather strip.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:59 am
I have no need for them and knives that have them tend to make the clip placement suboptimal for deeper carry. They should at the very least be secondary to clip placement in priority of design.
This. I've only ever had a fob on a crk, and i left it vestigially on because it was at the butt of the knife and didn't compromise a) clip placement b) Grip. As i said I've never used fobs on a spyderco, doesn't the fob interfere with grip? On some models it's practically in the middle of the handle. I want nothing to interfere with the designated design, albeit i am fairly against modding, finding pleasure in experiencing the pure knife.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

"Not."

Have never used, and probably won't.

Clip > Hole
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I like having the option of a lanyard hole. Knives smaller than a Delica/Native should definitely have them for adding fobs for extra grip area.

Though not often, I have used lanyard holes for actual lanyards while on the water for extra security.

So long as it's designed well, I want it included.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I am another one of the "never use a lanyard hole on a folder (not even when climbing), but don´t mind them being there" folks.

Or, perhaps I like lanyard holes indirectly, cause they often prevent a deep carry placement of the clip, and if there is one thing I almost "hate" when it comes to folders, it´s deep carry.

If I were into really small folders I might want to attach a fob, but since the Chap is a really tiny knife for me already, this is not the case.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:40 pm
I like having the option of a lanyard hole. Knives smaller than a Delica/Native should definitely have them for adding fobs for extra grip area.

Though not often, I have used lanyard holes for actual lanyards while on the water for extra security.

So long as it's designed well, I want it included.
Yeah that's kind of where I am on the subject. Again I would rather "Have It And Not Need It Than To Need It And Not Have It".

And you again drive home my point of being safe rather than sorry when working on a boat on an open lake, Ocean, river or even a local creek as far as that's concerned. I have not one Spyderco knives "OverBoard" and I'm here to tell the horrible feeling is sickening beyond belief.

And I'm willing to bet that the lanyard hole can be used for other purposes as well.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

On larger knives, having a lanyard hole is not important to me. In fact, I normally ask anyone making custom scales for me to omit it. That said, it's not something that would ever stop me from buying and using a knife I otherwise liked. Key ring knives are the exception, as they need either a lanyard hole or a bail, and a lanyard hole offers more options.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

If a lanyard/fob aids in purchase during use, I understand adding one. If it does not, it's little more than a dangly distraction, imo. I think a fob is helpful on the smallest of knives.. I've attached fobs to all of my Lady/Man-bugs and my Squarehead LW and find them helpful in adding something for that pinky finger to hold on to. I have never attached a lanyard/fob to a medium/large knife and honestly, I don't really see any point in doing so.. except maybe for aesthetic reasons.. lanyards do not typically appeal to me aesthetically, so...

Generally though, I don't mind lanyard holes being in knives for those who appreciate them, so long as they don't mess too much with pocket clip placement. I would however, be in favor of removing them completely from most designs, especially if doing so reduced manufacturing costs and knocked a couple pennies off the cost to the end user..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DSH007 wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:04 am
If a lanyard/fob aids in purchase during use, I understand adding one. If it does not, it's little more than a dangly distraction, imo. I think a fob is helpful on the smallest of knives.. I've attached fobs to all of my Lady/Man-bugs and my Squarehead LW and find them helpful in adding something for that pinky finger to hold on to. I have never attached a lanyard/fob to a medium/large knife and honestly, I don't really see any point in doing so.. except maybe for aesthetic reasons.. lanyards do not typically appeal to me aesthetically, so...

Generally though, I don't mind lanyard holes being in knives for those who appreciate them, so long as they don't mess too much with pocket clip placement. I would however, be in favor of removing them completely from most designs, especially if doing so reduced manufacturing costs and knocked a couple pennies off the cost to the end user..
Help me please? you just stated "It's little more than a dangly distraction">> I don't get that? How is any lanyard hole in any model a "dangly distraction" >> are you speaking of a corded lanyard or a lanyard hole?

I've owned dozens if not hundreds of knives in the past 20 years and I've never once ever had a lanyard hole ever bother me or ever interfere in any cutting operation ever. Please help me to understand that one?
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:38 pm
DSH007 wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:04 am

Help me please? you just stated "It's little more than a dangly distraction">> I don't get that? How is any lanyard hole in any model a "dangly distraction" >> are you speaking of a corded lanyard or a lanyard hole?

I've owned dozens if not hundreds of knives in the past 20 years and I've never once ever had a lanyard hole ever bother me or ever interfere in any cutting operation ever. Please help me to understand that one?
The lanyard itself is a dangly distraction (my opinion, take it with a grain of salt), not the lanyard hole.. hahah sorry if that wasn't more clear. Though I don't necessarily see the point of lanyard holes in most knives (except for the really little ones), I'm generally ok with them so long as they are not a detriment to pocket clip placement.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

I never realised how much I’d gotten used to them until I picked up the light weight Police…. No lanyard hole took me by surprise, am tempted to drill one out.

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
archangel

Post by archangel »

SRT392HEMI wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:20 pm
A lanyard hole doesn't bother me, but I have no need for lanyards. Wouldn't affect my decision on whether or not to purchase a particular knife.

^^ this. I don't need it, but it does not bought me. I say let's keep them, for those of you that make use of them.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I would prefer them without the lanyard hole, but on the other hand i have never been actually annoyed by them either.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

I can see the need for a lanyard hole on a knife used on a boat where dropping the knife could mean a lost knife.
Having a lanyard hole on a knife doesn't make a bit of difference to me.
I kept a small piece of 550 paracord on my Delica 3 for almost 3 years, but now that it's removed, I don't miss it.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Never used it; never had a problem with it being there.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

I love a lanyard, working on a ladder or needing to cut a fishing leader, I like grabbing a short lanyard hanging out of my pockets, it’s just as important as a thumb hole to me !!
Also rope getting wrapped around a boat propeller, a fast grab is a must!
Some of my lanyard are wrest loops slide on wrist jump in water it’s in my hand instantly before the hull bangs my head in heavy sea
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red