Native Chief CTS-XHP on the fence

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hullk

Re: Native Chief CTS-XHP on the fence

Post by Hullk »

Has anyone ordered one of these from Canada? I'm itching to get one with some extra christmas cash
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

So my last 2021 purchase will be a native chief!.....only question is cts-xhp satin blade or a rex 45 satin blade??? What would you folks get?
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

If you can get one, REX 45. It's a steel worth trying. But the Chief is good in any steel.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:29 am
So my last 2021 purchase will be a native chief!.....only question is cts-xhp satin blade or a rex 45 satin blade??? What would you folks get?
I have the CTS-XHP exclusive from Cutlery Shoppe . Buy what YOU want , really doesn’t matter what I have or anyone one else . Just enjoy the whole knife , different steel options are nice but the whole package is really great . I can warn you once you carry , it is hard to keep out of your pocket . I have to force myself to rotate , it’s that good for me . Great design . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:04 am
Cowboyfromhell wrote:
I have the CTS-XHP exclusive from Cutlery Shoppe . Buy what YOU want , really doesn’t matter what I have or anyone one else . Just enjoy the whole knife , different steel options are nice but the whole package is really great . I can warn you once you carry , it is hard to keep out of your pocket . I have to force myself to rotate , it’s that good for me . Great design . MG2
Hearing this makes me want a future lightweight option even more.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
I would go Rex 45 every time. I find the edge strength of Rex 45 to be a most important attribute in my uses.
Hullk

Post by Hullk »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Has this surprised you that you like it this much? Do you normally like big knives?
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Hullk wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:13 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Has this surprised you that you like it this much? Do you normally like big knives?
I normally prefer larger knives but always have a Dragonfly in weak side pocket. The ergos are great for me the big bonus is how well it sits in pocket compared to other large knives. MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

The future lwt. model sounds very interesting and I like the prototype pics. The biggie will be what steel will be used for initial run and where it will be produced may influence choice of steel. I can easily see exclusive models coming and think they will sell very well .
Henry David Thoreau
Hullk

Post by Hullk »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:29 am
I normally prefer larger knives but always have a Dragonfly in weak side pocket. The ergos are great for me the big bonus is how well it sits in pocket compared to other large knives. MG2
Ok, unfortunately Cutlery Shoppe emailed me and said they don't ship to Canada due to issues at the border. I can get it in Rex 45 from a Canadian website which I might try, it would be my first non stainless steel.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Hullk wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:16 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:29 am
Ok, unfortunately Cutlery Shoppe emailed me and said they don't ship to Canada due to issues at the border. I can get it in Rex 45 from a Canadian website which I might try, it would be my first non stainless steel.
I think you will be happy going that route, many here on the Forum really enjoy that steel in the Native Chief . Let’s us know how you like it and have fun ! MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Hullk

Post by Hullk »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:26 am
I think you will be happy going that route, many here on the Forum really enjoy that steel in the Native Chief . Let’s us know how you like it and have fun ! MG2
Will do, I've been nervous about getting a non stainless but maybe I love it.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Hullk wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:24 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:26 am
Will do, I've been nervous about getting a non stainless but maybe I love it.
There a bunch of great Forum members that can point you in the right direction maintaining the steel. There are a lot of information pertaining to that subject. Hope you like your purchase . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

So between the XHP and REX 45, which one would be a better steel?
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I think it would be difficult for me to truthfully answer since I don’t have one in Rex45 . I’m happy with the CTS-XHP but if I could find a Rex45 from a dealer I would be very tempted. There are many here that could give you a opinion better than me . I guess if would be a matter of preference and availability . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

twinboysdad wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:40 pm
So between the XHP and REX 45, which one would be a better steel?
Maybe not better just different.

Knife Steel Nerds has a ton of good info. and great reading, so definitely check Larrin's site out. Maybe Google the steel then type in Knife Steel Nerds to get to the right articles.

I have not had Rex 45 but it is run harder, and may have better edge stability. But CTS-XHP is no slouch either. Maybe the XHP is easier to sharpen. I have had a few Chaparral's and I really like to sharpen XHP. A little more stainless, but XHP would be on the lower side of stainless of the stainless knife steels. Rex 45 is a tool steel, so not really stainless, but probably not an issue in normal EDC.

Credit to Larrin and Knife Steel Nerds for all of this great work.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
tactikool

Post by tactikool »

I previously owned the standard production s30v Chief, but regrettably sold it a good while back. Since then I have come to have a greater appreciation for what made the Native Chief great. The blade length/ weight ratio, smooth back lock, ergos, ease of carry to name a few. Did a bit of digging here and found this thread on the XHP CS version. Low and behold they are STILL in stock at Cutlery Shoppe. I just couldn’t resist and pulled the trigger on one. Should be here next week.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

tactikool wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:30 pm
I previously owned the standard production s30v Chief, but regrettably sold it a good while back. Since then I have come to have a greater appreciation for what made the Native Chief great. The blade length/ weight ratio, smooth back lock, ergos, ease of carry to name a few. Did a bit of digging here and found this thread on the XHP CS version. Low and behold they are STILL in stock at Cutlery Shoppe. I just couldn’t resist and pulled the trigger on one. Should be here next week.
Awesome! Please post pics when you get it. Manixguy has one that he likes to taunt me with. :winking-tongue As soon as I am able, and assuming they are still in stock and no other variation comes out, I'm going to grab one.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageHere is a picture of mine in natural settings . I owe our Forum members advice a big thanks about this knife and actually want another one in another steel sometime . Like JSUMM has said , if you buy one post some pics and share your thoughts , we are all here to learn and help . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:16 am
ImageHere is a picture of mine in natural settings . I owe our Forum members advice a big thanks about this knife and actually want another one in another steel sometime . Like JSUMM has said , if you buy one post some pics and share your thoughts , we are all here to learn and help . MG2
There it is! Yep it is a great design and the orange is growing on me. The steel is great.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005