Anyone else concerned?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Re: Anyone else concerned?

Post by twinboysdad »

I would like to see more innovation in the footprint of the Lava, Dfly, Pingo, or Delica at the largest. I have gravitated towards EDC this size and it seems all the cool stuff is much larger than what I will carry?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I like the Brouwer I got from the seconds sale, but I would have liked much much less at full MAP. It is tiny for the price you pay for it, IMO. I think many people are voting on models based primarily on prices these days and I see no way to improve the situation other than fewer releases of new models with more time in between them so people can save up.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:52 am
I wanted to expand a bit...

I get much more frustrated with the knife community than I do Spyderco. So many buyers out there want every nifty feature in every offering.

Case in point for me is the SpyOpera. I immediately fell in lust with that knife when I saw the first picture. Neutral handle, Italian quality, back lock, perfect size... So much I want in a Spydie. But, the community places a strong priority on fidget-factor and back locks just aren't fun. So, in an effort to appeal to them, the SpyOpera gets worked so that it was a super smooth action but that results in it dropping on fingers if you aren't mindful. Just ruined it for me. Why does that need to be a thing on a back lock?

I can't blame Spyderco for that. But, by the same token, I can't judge the community if that is what they to spend their money on.
I am not sure the SpyOpera was modified for fidget factor. The Rock Jumper is incredibly smooth and one of my favorite to fidget with when I am just sitting around. Seems like you can have an incredibly smooth backlock, but still have a riscasso to drop on the finger. I do agree with you though on the closing on your fingers. This knife checked a lot of boxes when I handled one. However, the no ricasso to catch on your finger did not really scream one-handed use knife and killed it for me. I wonder if it was a design aesthetic they were trying to achieve with the SpyOpera to make for a minimal ricasso. It is a beautiful design, but agreed on the finger guillotine making it a no go.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Back locks can be closed in a controlled manner, especially Spydercos. I never used to drop the blade on my finger until earlier this year just to see what the fuss was about. It seems like a bad idea if you use more than one brand of knife. Bad training leads to bad outcomes.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:18 am
Back locks can be closed in a controlled manner, especially Spydercos. I never used to drop the blade on my finger until earlier this year just to see what the fuss was about. It seems like a bad idea if you use more than one brand of knife. Bad training leads to bad outcomes.
most of my cold steel models can can be closed the same way. it's pretty terrifying with the rajah ii, but it works.

edited to add: but my friend (also a spyderco user) tried it with my voyager tanto xl and found out quickly that it doesn't work with all backlocks.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Does anyone actually know if there are less collaborations and/or less "unique" models in current year? Flipping through the 2022 catalog it seems that there are many more collaborator designs as well as more variety in the base Sal & Eric designs.

The 2022 catalog is almost 4x as many pages as the 2010 catalog, and 3x as many pages as the 2015. Am I missing something? Are we spoiled for the riches we already have in wanting more? Maybe I don't understand the thread.

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

spoonrobot wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:58 pm
Does anyone actually know if there are less collaborations and/or less "unique" models in current year? Flipping through the 2022 catalog it seems that there are many more collaborator designs as well as more variety in the base Sal & Eric designs.

The 2022 catalog is almost 4x as many pages as the 2010 catalog, and 3x as many pages as the 2015. Am I missing something? Are we spoiled for the riches we already have in wanting more? Maybe I don't understand the thread.
<snip>
Great post, nice work!

I think for many they are tired of seeing so many variations of the same models, versus seeing all new models get released. Spyderco is only capable of doing so much at once so it will seesaw between "many variations" versus "many new models". Due to the full pipeline of products, their reaction will always lag whatever demand of the week is currently. Once people get used to more new models, the cry will go up about how they cannot get Model X in strawberry flavor like they used to. And round and round... :zany
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Matus

Post by Matus »

I am wondering whether the recent spree of sprints of either long discontinued, or out-of-the-spotlight models by different dealers is a sign that Spyderco might use some fresh models in its lineup. Just something that crossed my mind (I would not even call it my personal opinion)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:52 am
But, the community places a strong priority on fidget-factor and back locks just aren't fun. So, in an effort to appeal to them, the SpyOpera gets worked so that it was a super smooth action but that results in it dropping on fingers if you aren't mindful. Just ruined it for me. Why does that need to be a thing on a back lock?

Doesn't have to be an issue. Learned long ago to drop back locks on my fore fingernail and frame locks on my thumb nail. Pretty much a life long habit. :winking-tongue
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

I don't drop any blade onto my fingers. With back locks (of which I have many from various makers), I put my index finger either in the Spydie hole or on the spine to start the action, then I move all my fingers out of the way and finish closing it. In nearly all the knives I have, I can do that because there is just enough resistance in the pivot that the blade won't drop freely.

It's that or the side of the leg, two handed, etc. depending on what I'm doing but again, none of my back locks just swing closed feely. I am not into that whole "drop shutty" action deal. Not poking those who are by any means, just not for me.

And because of how I close my back locks, and because I have a wide variety, I'm not sure I want to introduce a sole model that is that "loose".
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’ve not read through this whole thread… and I’m not one who could name the models in order of release year. But the OP is remiss in not accounting for Spyderco’s in-house designs. Lil Native? Shaman? Chief? Part of a family, sure, but unique enough in their own way. Yojumbo. Rock Jumper.

As for lamenting variations on existing models, aka sprints and exclusives, well… I would own many fewer Spyderco knives if it weren’t for the sprints and exclusives. I’m one who will wait for a steel I want rather than settle for s30v.

Now, I’d love to see an updated Goddard. Love the blade shape, kill the combo edge, and CruCarta that beautiful beastie!
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

There are plenty of examples (e.g. Case, Buck, et al) that are still in business without apparent innovation. In many cases the lack of innovation seems to be a primary part of their marketing strategy.

On the other hand, higher end Chinese makers seem to be gaining a considerable foothold in the US market. Some innovation. Solid workmanship and materials across several price ranges. I've bought more of these than Spyderco's in the last year (though I've been enjoying my Watu and SpyOpera quite a bit).

And how we research and buy has changed. Broadly speaking, we no longer hear about knives from peers or evaluate by handling them in knife or outdoor shops. We watch youtube videos and order online.

So does Spyderco need to please the collector community with hoard-able uniqueness? I would be surprised if that market is big enough to move the needle on their future business model. On the other hand I would never have thought customers would snatch up their fifth PM2 because it's a new and exciting color/steel mix. So what do I know?

Finally, I would think the innovation grail would be getting young men and women (millennials) to see the value in carrying a knife in their pocket. Then convincing them it should be a Spyderco. That means media buzz and you don't get that with the same 'ole.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Spook410 wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:56 pm
So does Spyderco need to please the collector community with hoard-able uniqueness? I would be surprised if that market is big enough to move the needle on their future business model. On the other hand I would never have thought customers would snatch up their fifth PM2 because it's a new and exciting color/steel mix. So what do I know?
I think this is a much bigger part of the market than anyone expected, or believed. I've been deep diving into new-to-the hobby collectors the past few days, and there are a hundreds (if not thousands) of users who have purchased upwards of 100 knives in their first year or two of collecting.

"SOTC" posts on forums, facebook, and reddit have been very eye opening. I think the average non-collecting user buys 1-5 Spydercos their entire life, the average collector around 50-100. I've been collecting since 2004 and in total I've bought around 80 knives. I'm not closely acquainted with other collectors IRL but the people I've gifted Spydercos to, if they're not still on their first knife, are maybe on their second or third - exclusively as replacements for a lost/damaged knife.

Spyderco's future success may well lie with getting hundreds of thousands of new users who buy few knives over their lifetime - as much as it lies with finding or converting a few hundred collectors who will buy several hundred knives in their lifetime. Strictly speaking to this aspect of course.

I suspect the market has already swayed for this term and we are, conceptually - standing in front of a Walmart with customers streaming in and out, as we look down the street to a shuttered local grocery store - and arguing about the potential affect on small business.
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

" 'SOTC' posts on forums, facebook, and reddit have been very eye opening." Could spoonrobot or anyone else please tell me what "SOTC "means? Thank you!

This thread potentially addresses some very important questions well beyond our affection for Spyderco and Spyderco products. These would focus on a broader discussion of acquisition and consumption but I don't want to hijack the thread.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The cutlery industry in the US has always catered to users (buy one when needed) and the collector (buy multiples to collect) and Spyderco is no different. They need to cater to both markets to survive. They seem to have done a pretty good job if it as well.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

buckthorn wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:14 am
" 'SOTC' posts on forums, facebook, and reddit have been very eye opening." Could spoonrobot or anyone else please tell me what "SOTC "means? Thank you!

This thread potentially addresses some very important questions well beyond our affection for Spyderco and Spyderco products. These would focus on a broader discussion of acquisition and consumption but I don't want to hijack the thread.
I have a lot of thoughts on this as well, if you do make a thread please tag me I’d like to read and contribute.

SOTC means “state of the collection”.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Spook410 wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:56 pm
So does Spyderco need to please the collector community with hoard-able uniqueness? I would be surprised if that market is big enough to move the needle on their future business model.
I too would have guessed that the mass market would dominate a knife company’s financials. But my assumption based on the energy Spyderco puts into multiplying models that cost more than $50 is that they primarily make their money off enthusiasts at this point. Or at least that the money there is more of a sure deal — remember the Alcyone launching to relative disinterest?

Spyderco’s apparent inability/willingness to compete at the bottom of the market probably means stagnation in the long term. Why do I own so many Spydies? Because younger me bought a $30 Native when that was the best deal on a pocketknife. Today if you’re a teen with $50 to throw around you probably are getting a Civvivi or Kizer, and your next $100 is going to them as well.

Spyderco’s strength is clearly in the design (and, to some of us, their dedication to serrations). Their manufacturing capabilities are less and less competitive every year. I’ve not seen any sub-$150 Spyderco that has the fit and finish as my $60 Kizer. Why is that? I don’t think it’s a technical issue. Or to put it more clearly, why isn’t the Tenacious a $30 knife? This baffles me a little bit.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Not concerned at all. I naturally gravitated towards the Sal and Eric designs since I first became aware of Sypderco, just visually and tactile wise they always appealed to me, starting with the Endura/Delica and now a lot of the Golden models. If the direction the company goes is to lean into improvements of these designs, iterations like the chief/shaman/rockjumper, new steels, handles, sprints etc., I am happy and will purchase the things that interest me. If there is really a lack of guest designs (is that even true? I was just looking at an Amalgam and Canis at my local shop) that isn't what got me or kept me interested in Spyderco, although the guest designs are awesome knives too. But personal tastes can always change and that said I'm probably buying a Perrin designed fixed blade next.
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

I have a lot of thoughts on this as well, if you do make a thread please tag me I’d like to read and contribute.

I'd be glad to consult with you but am not sure I have the energy to adequately introduce a potentially complex new topic.

SOTC means “state of the collection”.
Thanks spoonrobot

spoonrobot: Would you please send me a pm elaborating on your name "spoonrobot"? I'll be glad to explain why I'm asking in reply.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear spydergoat:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike