Spyderco pocket blowtorch???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bjz

Spyderco pocket blowtorch???

Post by bjz »

Who’s in for a clipitool with a small butane lighter/torch?!?!

Just kidding…but it would have been useful this morning. Over the long holiday weekend weather where I am transitioned from rain, to 20’s overnight and every padlock on every gate at work was frozen solid. I had to break into the facility, go grab an actual torch from the shop and melt out the locks. Not what I was intending for my Monday but so it goes.

Now to go shovel a lot of snow so I can get my job done…with my trusty tenacious LW SE at my side!
bearfacedkiller

Re: Spyderco pocket blowtorch???

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I wish I had bought a Firebyrd back in the day.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bjz

Post by bjz »

I forgot about all the wacky byrds, and the fact that this actually existed!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I LOVE the Firebyrd! I would be ecstatic to see a Spyderco version of it!

Of course, a soft flame lighter like a bic wouldn’t do you any good dealing with frozen pad locks. Just quickly brainstorming, maybe a knife could be integrated into a case that fits those butane torch Zippo inserts? I don’t think bic makes a torch flame lighter yet but that would be really cool! Bic reliability plus a torch flame would be a winning combo.

———

Reference for those wondering about the Firebyrd.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... trade-/207

-Nick :bug-red
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:32 am

Of course, a soft flame lighter like a bic wouldn’t do you any good dealing with frozen pad locks. Just quickly brainstorming, maybe a knife could be integrated into a case that fits those butane torch Zippo inserts? I don’t think bic makes a torch flame lighter yet but that would be really cool! Bic reliability plus a torch flame would be a winning combo.

———

This is a April Fool's Day Hoax... or what?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Granoo Fink wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:19 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:32 am

———

https://i.imgur.com/gizMboT.jpg
This is a April Fool's Day Hoax... or what?

LOL Nope they really made that.

The design itself could probably use an update but I love the concept.
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

This is the first a noob like me is seeing of this neat little Firebyrd, I like it! Just throwing my 0.02 in that I would buy several of these for myself and friends. **** I'd even buy a 60 dollar model if it could have the Spyderco branding/hole.

One would assume there was pushback against a knife/gadget like this for one legal nitpick or another? Or was it just not a good seller? Seems like a fun gadget that even my non-knife smoker friends would enjoy.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I don’t think they sold well. They were easy to find for low prices about ten years ago.

I would like to see an updated version that is a Spyderco and not a Byrd but for most people that would make it much too expensive.

I think it is really cool but the Byrd version is definitely ugly. If it came back I would assume it would need an update.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
araneae

Post by araneae »

Wish I had snagged one, such an oddity.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

if they made a mini bic holder with a ladybug hawkbill blade, i'd jump on it so fast. i'd prefer to drop the bottle opener and have the lighter face the opposite direction, but i'd still buy one of these.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:06 am
if they made a mini bic holder with a ladybug hawkbill blade, i'd jump on it so fast. i'd prefer to drop the bottle opener and have the lighter face the opposite direction, but i'd still buy one of these.

Definitely agree on dropping the opener! "From the deep vaults of days past, the Spyderco Firehawk, a hawk-billed, updated version of our Firebyrd model, etc etc words words words."
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

bjz wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:51 am
Well... no. But plenty of times I've scrubbed the spine of my knife on a ferrocerium rod to start a fire. It's great for starting a campfire, but maybe not as good if you're looking to spark up a blunt.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i carry a lighter every day and i don't smoke. i mostly use it for loose strings and candles, but i feel like fire is such an important element of human survival that it's almost wrong not to carry a lighter when it's so easy.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:15 pm
bjz wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:51 am
Well... no. But plenty of times I've scrubbed the spine of my knife on a ferrocerium rod to start a fire. It's great for starting a campfire, but maybe not as good if you're looking to spark up a blunt.
But for those who are looking to do that, something like this would be great for me… I mean them. :winking-tongue
ladybug93 wrote: if they made a mini bic holder with a ladybug hawkbill blade, i'd jump on it so fast. i'd prefer to drop the bottle opener and have the lighter face the opposite direction, but i'd still buy one of these.
I really like that idea! Using a mini bic would be a good excuse for a redesign and I would just personally prefer to just drop the bottle opener as well. Also, where it would only be two tools, I like the idea of facing them in opposite directions. For me, I’d rather there be a new blade designed for it over using an existing blade but the concept is still there.

A Spyderco version of the Firebyrd would quickly become my most carried and used Spyderco product ever.
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Ha, crazy how stuff like this pops up sometimes. I saw these about a week ago and really thought I needed one! 🤣!
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Come to think of it, Bic lighters have oft been my most handy bottle openers anyway :thinking