Why is the Rockjumper so great??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Why is the Rockjumper so great??

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:25 am
i just think of the rockjumper as a wharncliffe delica in a more comfortable handle with a more neutral grip. i'm not sure i understand the whole grip to blade length ratio obsession.

It is not an "obsession", and it is not really about "grip to blade length" ratio.
It is just about that a longer blade / edge generally is more versatile and a better performer than a shorter one in most cases (for me actually always) - discussed for example in this recent thread, even the designer of many Spydercos (by the name of Sal Glesser ;) ) seems to see the advantages of longer blades (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89337&start=40#p1511659)

Now if I have a great, comfortable, but still compact handle that I really like: Naturally I want it to have a long blade too, just so the knife gets more versatile. It is actually what fixed blades do: Long FIXED blade blades don´t have really long handles most of the time (TOO long handles can even get in the way a bit when sticking out at the back of your hand)

So, in summary: A compact, nice to carry, but perfectly ergonomic handle makes imho for a better (or at least more versatile) knife if combined with a long blade (Stretch 1 being a good example).
My perfect folder actually is technically not possible, cause it would combine a police- ish blade with a Stretch handle: Does not work with a pocket knife ;) - but if a knife comes closer to this ideal: I´ll take it.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i understand to a degree. i also like longer blades. however, there are times when i only want to carry a 3" blade and i'd rather have a handle that is more comfortable.

i personally don't care for the bumps on the delica and think the rockjumper design is far more comfortable (i suppose... i haven't had a chance to hold one yet, but i have others with similar shapes). so, if i can have a delica sized blade in a more ergonomic handle, that seems like a win. i'm not bothered by the fact that the handle is longer than the blade.

i should probably say here that the delica is fine. i like mine a lot. it's not an uncomfortable handle. i just think the more neutral design is a better way to go for more people.

it's all personal preference though. i happen to think this handle design is a huge step in the right direction and i look forward to seeing the leafjumper and the xl versions of each, if/when they are made.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:07 am
i understand to a degree. i also like longer blades. however, there are times when i only want to carry a 3" blade and i'd rather have a handle that is more comfortable.

i personally don't care for the bumps on the delica and think the rockjumper design is far more comfortable (i suppose... i haven't had a chance to hold one yet, but i have others with similar shapes). so, if i can have a delica sized blade in a more ergonomic handle, that seems like a win. i'm not bothered by the fact that the handle is longer than the blade.

i should probably say here that the delica is fine. i like mine a lot. it's not an uncomfortable handle. i just think the more neutral design is a better way to go for more people.

it's all personal preference though. i happen to think this handle design is a huge step in the right direction and i look forward to seeing the leafjumper and the xl versions of each, if/when they are made.

Sure, when I bring a more specialized knife (so when I KNOW 3" of blade will be sufficient) a large, roomy handle and the short blade are great to have!
And as said: I actually like the not-as-long-as-possible blade and the generous handle in the wharnie RockJumper

But in a versatile, all purpose EDC knife (for me the Leaf Jumper) I´d have hoped for a longer, more "handle- filling" blade.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
FRNFanboy

Post by FRNFanboy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:06 pm
K390!
I second that!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Please tell me there are RockJumpers in the works with a different steel/different color frn... This design is so great!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 5:49 pm
Please tell me there are RockJumpers in the works with a different steel/different color frn... This design is so great!

I would expect it to at least be included in the next round of Seki steel sprints.

Is Spy27 a Golden only steel or has it been made in Seki yet?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:07 am

For me it's a little of both. I could probably get by with a Rock Jumper for the rest of my life, it does hit a sweet spot for a medium sized blade and I think it would do me just fine for most situations. On the other hand I totally understand Wartstein's desire for more blade length, it's less about need and more about "why not?". If a handle can support more blade length, it should have more blade length, and that pretty much applies to every folder if you ask me. It's not even about blade to handle ratios, it's just about maximizing the whole package. Like the Military, it could have a Police 4 sized blade so why doesn't it? If I'm going to carry a handle that big I may as well have a blade that big to go along with it, otherwise I'll just carry a Caribbean.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Evil D wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 2:30 am
Is Spy27 a Golden only steel or has it been made in Seki yet?

It seems that Sal would like to see SPY27 in a Police model, but that doesn’t guarantee we’ll see it in other Seki models.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88724&p=1489579&hil ... 4#p1489579
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I think this knife is perfect to extend the blade to the end of the handle. The lip towards the end perfectly hides the tip. I bought one knowing there will probably be redesigns. I want this model to succeed. It is that good. Great ergos for a mid sized knife. The action is fantastic.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JSumm,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for the kind words.

sal
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

drexcell wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:20 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:34 am
drexcell wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:33 pm
The Delica and the Endura are the only two Spydercos that I have in VG-10. I waited until the Endela came out in K390 before I picked one up and I think I will do the same with the Rockjumper. It does look like a 'must have', but I will wait patiently something other than VG-10.

Sometimes this is a bad idea and can lead to missing the knife altogether if they get discontinued. I held out for a FRN D'Allara 3 but it never happened (though I think it will eventually). With the RJ I think it will happen too since they invested in FRN molds right from the start, just saying gotta be careful with this strategy.
They wouldn't do that to me! I think that the Rockjumper is going to do well enough that there will be options available. Having said that, I was saving up my allowance for a Slysz Bowie and that got discontinued....... That still hurts. I will be careful though. Thanks for the input.
This very well could been part of the issue with the manix backlock. I saw quite a few disappointed posts here and elsewhere after it was quickly discontinued saying "I was just waiting for a good sprint".
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 8:45 am
I think this knife is perfect to extend the blade to the end of the handle. The lip towards the end perfectly hides the tip. I bought one knowing there will probably be redesigns. I want this model to succeed. It is that good. Great ergos for a mid sized knife. The action is fantastic.

So in other words you´d also want to have it a longer blade? (Which the available space in the handle would allow for?)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 4:42 pm
JSumm wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 8:45 am
So in other words you´d also want to have it a longer blade? (Which the available space in the handle would allow for?)

Absolutely! It can be longer and not affect the overall footprint of the design. Basically maximize the amount of blade with the same handle design.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:43 am
I'm carrying mine today. I have to say this is one of the most perfect designs available. I'm even coming around to loving the thumb ramp after years of leaning towards not having thumb ramps.

Mine has developed a good amount of up and down jiggle when opened, so much that I've considered sending it to Golden to see what they think of it. It doesn't bother me much but it feels like a lot for a relatively new knife, I haven't used this one nearly as much or hard as my Caribbeans.

I agree with the RJ being an awesome design but I am quite concerned about that up/down play. Do you have any news ? I just bought a serrated one and I am in love with the knife but I hate when they develop vertical rock... one of the reasons I am not a backlock fan...I wonder what Sal has to say about this....

P.S Did anyone else experience the same vertical rock with theirs ? ...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

elena86 wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:38 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:43 am
I'm carrying mine today. I have to say this is one of the most perfect designs available. I'm even coming around to loving the thumb ramp after years of leaning towards not having thumb ramps.

Mine has developed a good amount of up and down jiggle when opened, so much that I've considered sending it to Golden to see what they think of it. It doesn't bother me much but it feels like a lot for a relatively new knife, I haven't used this one nearly as much or hard as my Caribbeans.

I agree with the RJ being an awesome design but I am quite concerned about that up/down play. Do you have any news ? I just bought a serrated one and I am in love with the knife but I hate when they develop vertical rock... one of the reasons I am not a backlock fan...I wonder what Sal has to say about this....

P.S Did anyone else experience the same vertical rock with theirs ? ...
I have had this on my RJ as well. I put blue loctite on the pivot screw and the lockbar screw and tightened both down until it was tight enough, but could still open and close smoothly one handed. I use loctite on the Seki models on these two screws because they seem to get looser over time on the Seki models. Seemed to get it to a very minimal play similar to my other Seki models. And it is still smoother to open than any of my other backlock models.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
sal

Post by sal »

I just OK'd the Leaf Jumper sample. Should we go another run with either, the Rock or Leaf Jumper, the blades will be lengthened a bit.

sal
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

sal wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:44 pm
I just OK'd the Leaf Jumper sample. Should we go another run with either, the Rock or Leaf Jumper, the blades will be lengthened a bit.

sal
i was hoping to see a picture, but this is great news! i can't wait to see the lj!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

This is going to make a lot of people here very happy.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

sal wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:44 pm

sal
I would think the Leaf Jumper being new and a more versatile blade shape would be more in demand. My guess, first run would run out fast unless VG-10 holds some people off (not me).
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I think so too.