Question about Damascus

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Soanso McMasters

Question about Damascus

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Hello all,

For Christmas my wife and son got me the KnifeCenter Damascus Delica! I noted that on one side the Damascus waves come very close to the sharpened edge. Close enough that at some point when sharpening, it will likely enter in to that area. Is this of any concern? I’ve no idea what portion constitutes the core of VG10 so I thought I’d source the limitless wisdom of all things Spyderco. That’s you all.

BTW, this knife is a looker. It will look great with my tuxedo, which is really just one of those t shirts with a tuxedo print on it. I’m a hillbilly at heart.
desmodue

Re: Question about Damascus

Post by desmodue »

The blade is layered, VG10 is the center layer. The outer layers are forge welded to produce the etched pattern, no matter how many times you sharpen the blade the cutting edge will always be VG10.
:bug-red Bow River 8Cr13MoV * Zome Dragonfly VG-10 * Para 3 LW BD1N * Para 3 CPM Rex 45
PM 2 Böhler M390 * PM 2 CPM 20CV * PM 2 CTS 204P * PM 2 CTS Maxamet * Yojimbo CPM M4
Shaman Zapp Z-Wear PM * Spydie Chef Zapp LC200N * Techno 2 CTS XHP * Drunken CPM S90V

Benchmade Griptilian 20CV * Mini Grip S30V * Kershaw Launch 1 CPM 154 * Kershaw Link S35VN
Gerber Applegate Fairbairn Covert ATS 34 * KaBar 1211 AISI 1095 * Cold Steel CS-13QMBIX CPM 3V
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

And the etched part is still a steel surface, just formed by two different steels. When some of it will have to be abrased (don't know if it is the right word) it'll act like any steel. Won't change your experience much except that this knife of yours is a beauty ! Have fun and merry christmas.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Thanks to you both and Merry Christmas!