BladeHQ PM2 Aluminum-scale Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
abbazaba

Re: BladeHQ PM2 Aluminum-scale Exclusive

Post by abbazaba »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:41 am
I am also surprised that these sold out as quickly as they did. Apparently the right combination of novel/Interesting scale, low price, and incredibly popular design. Different steel helps too, even if not a more popular one.
Nice work BHQ.
Looks like all three colors are still in stock at the moment.
SixShot666

Post by SixShot666 »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:29 am
Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
I am also surprised that these sold out as quickly as they did. Apparently the right combination of novel/Interesting scale, low price, and incredibly popular design. Different steel helps too, even if not a more popular one.
Nice work BHQ.
What are you talking about?!? The Purple scale have been SOLD OUT since Tuesday afternoon! As of Wednesday late afternoon, all three colors are SOLD OUT!!

Kudos to those that picked up either one of the three colors, these look like they're going to be a sleeper, especially when people and YouTube reviewers get them in their hands, and realize how great these aluminum PM2s were.
:bug-white-red Over 300 Spyderco :bug-white-red
27---Hinderer XM-18 3.5"
8-----Hinderer XM-24 4"
9-----Hinderer Eklipse 3.5"
6-----Hinderer Maximus Bayonet Grind
3-----CRK Sebenza 21 Large
18---CRK Sebenza 31 Large
1-----CRK Sebenza 31 Large Elforyn Super Tusk Micarta
1-----CRK Inkosi Tanto Large
1-----CRK Inkosi Insingo Large Black Canvas Micarta
2-----CRK Umnumzaan Drop Point & Tanto
26---Spartan Harsey Folders Special Edition
95---Bark River Knives
18---Dawson Knives
69---Microtech Combat Troodon
27---Microtech Ultratech
9-----Microtech Delta Dirac
3-----Microtech Scarab II
65---Others Microtech Knives (Borka SBD & SBK, Stitch, Arbiter, Exocet, Hawk, Socom Elite, Socom Alpha, Socom Bravo)
27---Marfione Custom Knives
12---Kiku Matsuda Custom Knives
5-----CAS Sobral Brothers Custom Knives
8-----Rockstead Knives
Over 400 Benchmade, Cold Steel, Heretic Knives, Pro-Tech, RMJ Tactical, SOG, TOPS, WE Knives, Reate, Kizer, Condor Machetes, & Fox Knives combined.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Didn't really pay attention to this thread, since though I like the PM2 it is not one of my absolute favorites.

But this is actually very cool... and very light!

Make it a Manix and I'm in! :smiling-cheeks
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I'm not surprised these were popular. People like bright colors and low prices.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

I have owned many PM2s and still have a fair number of them. When these dropped I was lucky enough to get one in purple. First, the fit and finish is excellent and typical Spyderco quality. The aluminum scales are beautiful and to my surprise very grippy. If you’re a PM2 fan you’re going to want one. 😃
8FF0ADCF-DF01-48F7-91EB-740C0509CD0C.jpeg
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Another Guy

Post by Another Guy »

Santa dropped off my purple and blue versions earlier today. The aesthetics are superb. Yes, as Holeshot mentions, the scale pattern has a good deal of texture so the knife feels great in the hand. Brilliant concept and absolutely brilliant execution.

The anodized finish is very vibrant, more than most photos can convey. I’m very curious how these will patina over time.

Good news for those who may have missed this run, the Spyderco paperwork included in the box suggests that other anodized colors may become available, namely red, orange, and/or black.

Beautiful FUNCTIONAL pocket jewelry! 😆
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I looks like this model will come out in three more colors. At around the 3:00 minute mark of the video below, you will see the included paperwork for the knife. It states that, in addition to blue, green, and purple, the knife will come in red, black, and orange scales. I bet orange is for Cutlery Shoppe.

Superflex

Post by Superflex »

SixShot666 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:02 am
abbazaba wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:29 am
Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Nice work BHQ.
What are you talking about?!? The Purple scale have been SOLD OUT since Tuesday afternoon! As of Wednesday late afternoon, all three colors are SOLD OUT!!
When he posted, there were a few of each available. I confirmed all three colors were available. Looks like they had a few cancellations which made the purple and blue available again.
They did that with the PM2 M4 tantos which is how I snagged one.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Red, black and orange coming...interesting. My guess is all colors are for BHQ even orange.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Another Guy:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Based on what I’ve seen we should see three more of these from BladeHQ and hopefully at the same $140 street price:

1. ParaMilitary2 CTS-BD1N Satin PlainEdge Blade "Cosmic Arc" Textured Red Aluminum C81ALPRD2 BladeHQ (USA)
  2. ParaMilitary2 CTS-BD1N Satin PlainEdge Blade "Cosmic Arc" Textured Orange Aluminum C81ALPOR2 BladeHQ (USA)
  3. ParaMilitary2 CTS-BD1N Satin PlainEdge Blade "Cosmic Arc" Textured Black Aluminum C81ALPBK2 BladeHQ (USA)
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Another Guy wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:38 pm
Santa dropped off my purple and blue versions earlier today. The aesthetics are superb. Yes, as Holeshot mentions, the scale pattern has a good deal of texture so the knife feels great in the hand. Brilliant concept and absolutely brilliant execution.

The anodized finish is very vibrant, more than most photos can convey. I’m very curious how these will patina over time.

Good news for those who may have missed this run, the Spyderco paperwork included in the box suggests that other anodized colors may become available, namely red, orange, and/or black.

Beautiful FUNCTIONAL pocket jewelry! 😆

Fantastic first post, followed only by username, welcome to the forum!
So it goes.
Another Guy

Post by Another Guy »

Hello Mike, hello Airlsee, thank you for your warm welcome and your kind words!! 🙏
islandpar

Post by islandpar »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:58 pm
I got a green one. I actually think these will be a sleeper hit after theyre gone.

I like pm2.
I like titanium/steel/aluminum handles just fine.
I like bd1n as an everyday user steel. Its just soooo easy to sharpen, even for us folk who arent good at sharpening.
I like that its somehow lighter than the standard pm2. Ill consider this the pre pm2 lightweight.
I like the handle milling and how the pattern looks.
Price is reasonable.

Ive held off on the last several pm2 exclusives but this picture sold it for me.
20211221_154520.png

Also... I have no idea what the future might hold for an frn pm2 lightweight but, this is probably the last non-frn pm2 that will ever be priced below $150.
This might be the lightweight version already, in my opinion, one in FRN would have competition with the Straight Spine Stretch 2 and the Endela..
"Remember, it is never the knife's fault." - Daniel Boulud

18 Spyders and counting...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

islandpar wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:37 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:58 pm
20211221_154520.png

This might be the lightweight version already, in my opinion, one in FRN would have competition with the Straight Spine Stretch 2 and the Endela..
I personally really don´t think so, an FRN PM2 LW would still be very different to the straight spine Stretch and the Endela -
just like the Para 3 is different to the Delica or the Millie to the Endura - and imho sell extremely well

Both Endela and Stretch have thinner bladestock and generally slicier blades,a backlock, closed back, different FRN pattern and a handle end that makes the knives more convenient in pocket (easier to pass the hand by the handle)
The Endela additionally has a slimmer profile anyway, more grip area on the actual handle and a true ricasso instead of the choil
The Stretch has that unique "edge profile" - not continuous curve, but a long, totally straight portion in the edge before the belly which - for me - gives it noticeably different (for my individual taste better) cutting characteristics.

Again: I also think that an FRN PM2 LW would/will sell like crazy, not really hindered by the existence of the (very cool!) Aluminium version...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:46 am

Again: I also think that an FRN PM2 LW would/will sell like crazy, not really hindered by the existence of the (very cool!) Aluminium version...
Is there any doubt ? Of course it will. The only caveat I could see is the FRN being as blocky as the Native 5 LW which would completely kill the hype.

I was laser focused on the Native Chief LW release until I saw the blockiness of the FRN handles... (Why Spyderco ? :crying-face ).

If it has the same fit and finish as the Para 3 LW, it will be a home run without any doubts.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I grabbed a pair of these and I have to say I am not super into them. I love the lighter weight, but do not love the slab sided aluminum. I was hoping they'd have a little more contouring and these are rather squared. I'll keep hoping for an FRN version with some curves...
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'm really glad I picked one of these up. The lighter weight is immediately noticeable, and the pattern feels very similar to peel ply G10 in grip. Like all aluminum knives, it makes sounds much different than the usual version.

The "contoured G10" look puzzles me a little, which is kind of a tease with no contouring, but it does somehow give it a more natural look I suppose. I agree that it would have benefited from some radiusing of the edges at least, and personally would have liked a fully contoured and "fluted" look more. However, I hope they were saving that for the actual fluted Ti version!

I would have gone straight for a natural, unanodized version if it was available, but the blue is very pleasing. This thing might look pretty great after a considerable amount of "pocket tumbling".

Still excited for the real deal FRN version if it has a wireclip and contouring like the Para3, but this design makes me wonder if we will see a linerless G10 version as well?

VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I just got mine.
Centered, perfect action, sharp, even grind, good detent, all the standatd pm2 stuff. Pivot still needs a little bit of adjustment.

I like it. The scales look amazing in natural light, and by my thumb they seem every bit as grippy as peel ply g10.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
anycal

Post by anycal »

I like this quite a bit. The scales are no milled out. Could have been a bit lighter if they were.

Thinking about doing a M4 DLC blade, black hardware swap. Minus the lock bar...

Peter