Spyderco Military Observations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dan31

Re: Spyderco Military Observations

Post by dan31 »

Tip down is where it’s at. Once the handle gets long enough it’s a big benefit. Of course everyone can have a preference.
vivi

Post by vivi »

dan31 wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:26 am
Tip down is where it’s at. Once the handle gets long enough it’s a big benefit. Of course everyone can have a preference.
I think the perception of X knife being too long for tip up is dependent on how you draw your knife.

If you pinch the exposed part of a clipped folder to draw the knife, even a Stretch could require adjusting your grip between the draw and opening motions.

If you stick your thumb down into your pocket and pinch further down on the handle, for me at least, it means there's no issue drawing something the size of a Millie / Police tip up:

https://streamable.com/g1hfja
:unicorn
dan31

Post by dan31 »

You sir, have decent sized hands 🙌.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:39 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:02 am
Xformer wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:41 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:56 am
Don't ever look at my knives. Fifty Police Models from a PIG to a serrated K390 P4 -all tip down. A dozen Endura and Delica 4s, all tip down. 4 Native Chiefs, all tip down. Original Manix and 83mm Manix, both tip down. I don't and won't own a Manix XL, in part because of that tip-up only clip.
Sure, there are some/many who do like tip down on larger knives! Just as valid as tip down and only depends on personal preferences.
Mine is tip up even on larger folders, and I´d guess I am not in the minority with that (but what do I know. Just a guess).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’m OK carrying tip up, or tip down, depending on the model. Medium-sized or smaller, I prefer tip-up. If I carry a knife IWB, it must be tip-down; unless I carried IWB behind my back, which I never do.

Jim
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:09 pm

Sure, there are some/many who do like tip down on larger knives! Just as valid as tip down and only depends on personal preferences.
Mine is tip up even on larger folders, and I´d guess I am not in the minority with that (but what do I know. Just a guess).
I'm pretty sure that if you took a poll of everyone in the world over the age of 12, the majority opinion would be "Huh? What are you talking about?"
PocketShredder

Post by PocketShredder »

While I prefer tip-up carry on my folders, I actually don't mind the tip-down setup on the Military. It took some time to get used to, but now that I've got the hang of it, I can very easily draw and open the knife in a fluid motion, unlike the much smaller Calypso Jr., which was always felt awkward to draw and open without having to alter my grip.
Image:bug-red-white
"All God's critters have knives."
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Gernot mate, you and the tip up mob are bloody geniuses and only fair you’re not in the minority.

I been carrying a Military tip up (easy mod) all morning and I’m really liking it. :cheap-sunglasses

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Theldraskien

Post by Theldraskien »

*Slowclap*
sal

Post by sal »

We are blessed with "Bloke".

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:35 pm
Wartstein wrote:
I'm pretty sure that if you took a poll of everyone in the world over the age of 12, the majority opinion would be "Huh? What are you talking about?"
:') and good point!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:33 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Gernot mate, you and the tip up mob are bloody geniuses and only fair you’re not in the minority.

I been carrying a Military tip up (easy mod) all morning and I’m really liking it. :cheap-sunglasses

:')

Alex, YOU are the genius here!
Your mod looks as extremely practical as it is amazingly pretty.
Now I am sure Sal sees when something is just the perfect solution, and so I don´t doubt the Millie 2 will come with no clip attached at all, but instead with that clamp. Problem solved.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I feel like this clip position discussion is dragging out for no good reason.

It seems like a very simple consideration from a design perspective.
- Tip down works pretty well and isn’t really keeping fans of the model from buying and carrying it. I.e. keeping it like it is wouldn’t be the end of the world.
- Options are better. If a tip up option can be added without compromising the design, there’s no reason not to (except possible financial/r&d capacity considerations). If screw anchors for a tip up clip position can be added without significantly adding weight, cost or weakening the structural strength, the tip up crowd will be even happier, maybe carry it even more AND the model might even extend its market reach to include some hardcore tip up fence sitters.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

That's why you can't find a Military for sale and there's been no Sprints for a couple of years. because Eric has a Military 2 that he's testing?

If it's a compression lock you should call it Para2 XL and leave the Military alone.

I don't get this tip-up or tip-down jihad there is no other way than my tip-up or tip-down religion.

I think this was well designed, grab it by the pivot between thumb and index finger and while lifting your arm the knife easily rotates and the curved scales naturally sit inside your palm and then just open it.

Is that rotation making the tip-up devout lives so miserable? Really?

This doesn't need sets of extra empty holes for tip-diagonal in-between-left-or-right-carry or any other improvements like that.

Stronger pivot or anything else that would make it generally even stronger without making it heavier or looking ridiculous is OK.

Platform for new steels, OK, but now they are doing that on every cheapweight model.

If you can improve the manufacturing processes to reduce costs and hence price without making it look and feel cheap that would also be OK, but I doubt Spyderco would pass that down, prices are only going up.

At the last CQI, the lanyard hole syndicate at Spyderco made the lanyard hole bigger but the way this carries that end of the scales will go deep into the pockets along with the lanyard itself so not sure what's the benefit of this.

Or having a lanyard on a large handle like Military's. For a tip-up small handle the lanyard stays outside and you can grab by it and pull it out and the lanyard can increase the hold with 3 fingers on the small scales and one more on the lanyard, so it makes sense, but for a large scale like the Military where the lanyard ends-up deep inside the pocket...

Is it possible instead of that lanyard tube to have a lanyard pin?

I know this is the see something flat drill a hole in it company - singing, With eeevery hole will maake the woorld a beeeetter plaaace - but one less hole in the scales would not do anybody any harm...

Like someone above I have a lifetime supply as well and the hoarder in me will still try to get a couple more before these are gone.

Because I have a bad feeling they will screw this up just trying to please an extra 0.5% prospective buyers that probably would not buy a Military anyway: because it's huge or it's too small or it's too heavy or it's too light or it's too black or it's too S30V or the blade is too thick or the blade is too thin and not strong enough

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Gsg9 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:19 am

I don't get this tip-up or tip-down jihad there is no other way than my tip-up or tip-down religion.
Is that rotation making the tip-up devout lives so miserable? Really?
So far I read nothing in this thread that would indicate a "tip up OR tip down jihad" and "there's no other way than my tip up or tip down religion"??!

Again, tip up or tip down are both equally fine, and It's just a matter of personal preference which mounting position one prefers.
Of course "rotation does not make "tip down devout lives" (you can't mean anyone who posted in this thread anyway by that if you actually read it) "miserable".

Tip up is just a bit preferable in carry, operation and ergos for some.
Not sure if your "there must not be three tiny holes more in the handle" devotion should be the cause that a lot of folks can't get a tip up option on the Millie.. ;)

Would these tiny holes make your "tip down only life actually so miserable"? ;)
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:33 pm
Wartstein wrote:

You sir, are a true craftsman. I would have just used duct tape.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'll go on record saying I'll buy a tip down only Military 2.

I'll also go on record saying having tried a tip up Military, it works better for me.

It's not a deal breaker, but it is what I prefer.

I've never carried a Pacific Salt tip down, but I'm glad the option is there on gen 2 for those that want it.
:unicorn
noddy

Post by noddy »

dan31 wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:45 am
... a K390 Military.
This is true :) I have the PM3 in K390 and am very happy with the way it behaves.

I missed the M4 Militaries that were around for a bit, then the secondhand prices got away from me. I'd definitely grab an M4 Millie if it showed up, as well as one in a tough stainless.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Gsg9 wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:19 am

At the last CQI, the lanyard hole syndicate at Spyderco made the lanyard hole bigger but the way this carries that end of the scales will go deep into the pockets along with the lanyard itself so not sure what's the benefit of this.

Or having a lanyard on a large handle like Military's. For a tip-up small handle the lanyard stays outside and you can grab by it and pull it out and the lanyard can increase the hold with 3 fingers on the small scales and one more on the lanyard, so it makes sense, but for a large scale like the Military where the lanyard ends-up deep inside the pocket...
The basic problem here is that people have been using "lanyard" and "fob" interchangably for so long that most don't realize that they are NOT the same thing. Ironically, the larger lanyard tube is primarily to facilitate attaching a fob, which I agree has limited utility on both a tip-down knife and a long handle. A lanyard on the other hand is useful on both tip-down and long-handled knives, since it is a length of line used to secure a tool to prevent loss in the event it is dropped. If the attachment point (the lanyard tube) is inside your pocket, the bulk of the lanyard can be as well, making it less likely to snag on something and pull the knife out of your pocket.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Tip down is preferred clip config. on big blades that have a choice of clip position-- Police & Endura-- for me. I like to carry them in the back RH pocket...just feels safer/more secure with the spine pressed against the pocket seam.

I've reached my hand down into a tip up Resilience that had popped partially open >>> won't be doing that again!!!

Even when I buy custom scales I am sure to specify tip down holes to be drilled.

I ask for tip up to be drilled also with the prospect if I decide to sell to make it more attractive to one of you t/u kids who think t/d looks old-timey :eye-roll ...one last thing >>>> stay off my lawn! :steam-nose
What is truth? Pontius Pilate