Bring back the jester?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sethwm

Bring back the jester?

Post by sethwm »

I just got a (used, obviously) 20cv GITD jester. I’ve had it for less than a day, but I gotta say I like it a lot. I think better than my ladybug and manbug. The swooping swedge, or whatever that’s called, is really ergonomic.

I’d certainly buy it again. Maybe a k390 version. Really like the high edge retention steels on these little ones. They’d basically last forever without a sharpening. These are my “open a package” knives, not my “tear down a a garage full of cardboard” knives.
JRinFL

Re: Bring back the jester?

Post by JRinFL »

Many have asked for a return of the Jester, but seemingly not enough to actually make it happen outside of that exclusive GITD version. I love my original burgundy micarta version and my GITD version so I would vote for a return.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I would try one out if it returned as a regular production item.
Hunting for exclusives and sprints is just not worth the effort atm.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

If it's brought back in regular production, I'd buy one.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Why did it drop out of production? That remains a mystery to me. Did the Bugs have something to do with?
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:05 pm
Why did it drop out of production? That remains a mystery to me. Did the Bugs have something to do with?
Lack of sales, like most everything else that gets dropped.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:06 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Think the Jester softened the ground for the Bugs?
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Danke

Post by Danke »

I wanted one for a long long time but all the ones that popped up were pristine collector examples so $$$$$. I did get one from the Knife Joker run and it's fully bumped the serrated/hawkbill Ladybug from my keychain.

I hope other dealers that do FRN runs take note and join in.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I think they should bring it back into production, but in an interesting steel and color to give it some added interest. MagnaCut would be cool obviously, but even something like AEB-L or Z-Wear would give it something extra. Paired maybe with some Blue GITD FRN scales?

A Cru-carta version would also be amazing!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I assume edge retention would have the broadest appeal in such a small blade. And for the economics of it all, considering the low quantity of steel required, it probably makes sense to use a steel already in circulation in Seki.
FRN in combination with k390 or ZDP-189 makes sense to me, but obviously based on a pile of guesswork
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Probably K390 as ZDP-189 is on the way out.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:21 pm
JRinFL wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:
I can't say as I just have no answer. The Bugs added 3 SKUs (more now with the all black models) while Jester only dropped one SKU from the regular line up, so I don't think it was done to reduce active SKUs. My gut tells me it was just due to slow sales because so many did not understand the blade shape. That may still be a barrier in getting it back.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wonder if the added jimping adds to the cost?

I would be ok with the Ladybug Salt adopting the Jester spine, otherwise I very strongly prefer the FFG Ladybug variants. I'd be equally interested in a FFG LC200N Ladybug, particularly in SE.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:32 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:21 pm
JRinFL wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:
I can't say as I just have no answer. The Bugs added 3 SKUs (more now with the all black models) while Jester only dropped one SKU from the regular line up, so I don't think it was done to reduce active SKUs. My gut tells me it was just due to slow sales because so many did not understand the blade shape. That may still be a barrier in getting it back.
I didn’t understand the shape until I got one.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:06 pm
I wonder if the added jimping adds to the cost?

I would be ok with the Ladybug Salt adopting the Jester spine, otherwise I very strongly prefer the FFG Ladybug variants. I'd be equally interested in a FFG LC200N Ladybug, particularly in SE.
Not likely because the jimping is cut into the blade when the blade itself is cut out. Jimping is not done as a post process.
-Nick :bug-red
araneae

Post by araneae »

The Jester was gone way before the bugs came along. The Jester morphed into the Ladybug 3 more or less.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
timlara

Post by timlara »

I regret selling my burgundy micarta version years ago. It was a really classy little knife.

I did snag one of the GITD ones recently, but I'd be interested in a sprint for a "gents" version with some kind of nice polished micarta or jigged bone or some other fancy scales option. That would be a really cool 5th pocket carry.
Tim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'll just come right out and be honest. I've never had any attraction to any of Spyderco's micro-sized folders. I've owned a few of them that I have acquired in trades and so forth but I've never used anything smaller than a Caly Jr. Because most of my cutting chores are best done with full sized blades. I even EDCed an M390 Military model for almost 5 years.

And right now I'm EDCing a 2011 Sprint Run, G-10 handled, C-60 Ayoob model. And it's got a blade over 3.5 inches long. I seriously doubt if I ever end up using a Ladybug, Manbug or any of the micro-sized Spyderco folders. But I will admit that I always found the Jester model to have a really elegant blade design. I would love an upscaled version of the Jester in a fixed blade at least 4 to 5 inches long. Because I really do like the design.

So I do like the Jester from that standpoint. But I doubt I'll ever buy or trade for another one. Heck I've never used a Hawkbill blade smaller than the Merlin or Harpy. My cutting chores need serious tools. The Micro-sized Spyders just don't do it for me.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Honestly I think 20cv is just about the perfect steel for a micro folder. Great edge retention and corrosion resistance is just a really good combo for a tiny knife you don't want to have to worry about much maintenance on.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Sethwm,

Thanx for the thread. Gail carries a Jester or two most of the time. She has the Burgundy Micarta version, the FRN version and the GITD version. There seems to be some interest here, and we just did an exclusive run so it's probably worth the discussion. Though I must say than anything decided now wouldn't see reality as a production piece for 1-1/2 to 2 years.

The original concept for the "forefinger-dip" was to there to permit a very focused cut using the forefinger close to the tip of the knife. I also wanted to make sure that there was enough purchase to support the forefinger position. I used the concept on the Jester and the ATR as production pieces. Remember, this was a couple of decades ago. Reaction was mixed as I think I was trying to "sell" a concept as an added feature in a cutting tool. Back then, many more purchased their knives by look and function wasn't as high a value. Spyderco wasn't very popular then. With the advent of internet, forums, increased number of shows, etc., Knife buyers are far more savvy about more functional stuff like; steel, grinds, ergonomics, edge geometry, heat treat, etc. Topics that were sought by a much smaller group 20 years ago.

So if we were to go for a sprint run, I would have to understand what you wanted?

FRN or Exotic handle material?
Steel?
Salt or regular model?
Plain and serrated?
Even Blade shape is open?
How many to make?

Maybe some type of poll?

thoughts?

sal

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Enter not ye of narrow mind lest they understanding be open to suggestion"