Spyderco Military Observations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Spyderco Military Observations

Post by vivi »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:02 pm
The KW CF/Ti framelock exclusive Military in S90V is my most treasured Spyderco. A Military to end all Militaries IMO.
I'd really like to try one of the CF / Ti runs someday. Not sure if I'd prefer it to the lighter G10 version, but it sounds nice.
:unicorn
elena86

Post by elena86 »

vivi wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:11 pm
elena86 wrote:
The KW CF/Ti framelock exclusive Military in S90V is my most treasured Spyderco. A Military to end all Militaries IMO.
I'd really like to try one of the CF / Ti runs someday. Not sure if I'd prefer it to the lighter G10 version, but it sounds nice.

It’s fast in hand, trust me. You wouldn’t say it’s heavier. It feels and looks classy, perfect fit and finish, semi-custom quality if you ask me. It’s a beauty.

Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:58 am
Apparently the comp lock Millie is still a thing. We should see one eventually. I would still prefer a back lock or a button lock or a stop lock.

I like simple locks without a lot of joints and things to go wrong. The CBBL would be okay and a lot less prone to spring breakage than an Axis lock. I wonder if there is room in that slim handle for one with a button large enough to get gloved hand on, though. I doubt it.
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:59 am
- And, no surprise: A comp. lock would ruin the Millie a bit for me.
Firstly, I actually do find the cutout for the linerlock actually comfortable in hand, a bit like chamfering (not kidding!)
Secondly, I found that a comp.lock cutout makes a knife uncomfortable and "hotspotty" in prolongued use, due to its particular location on the handle (might be the case just with my particular handsize / hand"geometry")
I wonder, would a smock-style button-actuated compression lock satisfy everyone?

Seems like a small addition which would remove the need for a cutout and make it a bit easier to actuate with gloves. While it's different from my Para 2 & Para 3, and messes with my OCD a bit, I'd be happy with it.

As demonstrated by the Para 3 LW, the compression lock can be achieved with minimal liners, so it should be easy enough to keep the weight down.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

vivi wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:07 pm
I'm waiting for the Rex45 version to release to give it a test drive. I've been wanting to try that steel but I missed the Military run and the other Rex45 knives are a bit small for me.
We must have similar tastes!
The two most interesting Rex45 sprints to me are the Military and Chief.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:38 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:58 am
Apparently the comp lock Millie is still a thing. We should see one eventually. I would still prefer a back lock or a button lock or a stop lock.

I like simple locks without a lot of joints and things to go wrong. The CBBL would be okay and a lot less prone to spring breakage than an Axis lock. I wonder if there is room in that slim handle for one with a button large enough to get gloved hand on, though. I doubt it.
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:59 am
- And, no surprise: A comp. lock would ruin the Millie a bit for me.
Firstly, I actually do find the cutout for the linerlock actually comfortable in hand, a bit like chamfering (not kidding!)
Secondly, I found that a comp.lock cutout makes a knife uncomfortable and "hotspotty" in prolongued use, due to its particular location on the handle (might be the case just with my particular handsize / hand"geometry")
I wonder, would a smock-style button-actuated compression lock satisfy everyone?

Seems like a small addition which would remove the need for a cutout and make it a bit easier to actuate with gloves. While it's different from my Para 2 & Para 3, and messes with my OCD a bit, I'd be happy with it.

As demonstrated by the Para 3 LW, the compression lock can be achieved with minimal liners, so it should be easy enough to keep the weight down.
It might. I prefer locks with a bias to close itself. But a button comp lock might be ok if the detent were really strong.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:38 pm
...would a smock-style button-actuated compression lock satisfy everyone?
This would ruin it for me, honestly. I don't like the look or the idea of the button compression lock.
--Jeremy
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The Military is one of my favourites! It is the first knife I reach for when I have to do a lot of cutting, or when I go camping.

I recall my first impression of the M390 model in 2012 was how “ridiculously” large it was for a pocket knife. At the time I was used to SAKs, and thought the PM2 was large... But over time and during use it “shrinks” to a point where it feels just right, and everything else feels too small to take seriously.

This is the stable at the moment:

Over the years I’ve used and sold a M390 and an old secondhand S90V model.

@vivi, have you tried to carry it in your LFP, with the blade hump and jimping towards the seam? It works to improve the comfort in the pocket, but takes a while to get used to.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
jdw

Post by jdw »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:21 pm
vivi wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:11 pm
elena86 wrote:

It’s fast in hand, trust me. You wouldn’t say it’s heavier. It feels and looks classy, perfect fit and finish, semi-custom quality if you ask me. It’s a beauty.

Great write up and I have to agree with this. The CF/Ti combo isn't my favorite Military but it is extremely well made and it is really fun to carry.
It will pretty much jump into your hand.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
noddy

Post by noddy »

Nice little history that, vivi. The Military is just about the perfect knife. I had a few in the past, dating back to 2007 like you, but let them go. Then I picked one up in CF/52100 and have scarcely carried anything else since.

Not many Millies out there to buy at the moment. I'd like one in a stainless of some kind. :)
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

If the liner lock was replaced, I feel it should have a different name. If you need gloves to use it, and those who serve use gloves, the liner lock works. I understand other models have different locks under the same name but the Millie is a bit different. Let’s think of some names…
“Civilian” would be good but that is taken.
“REMF” would be awesome if you know what that means but I don’t think it would fly.
“Bureaucrat” would be funny
“Paramilitary XL” would be perfect but confusing with the PM.
Military AF would be good for the Air Force. Do that many Air Force people use gloves? I would love a “Salt” version to be called the Navy as well.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Fireman wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:04 pm
If the liner lock was replaced, I feel it should have a different name. If you need gloves to use it, and those who serve use gloves, the liner lock works. I understand other models have different locks under the same name but the Millie is a bit different. Let’s think of some names…
“REMF” would be awesome if you know what that means but I don’t think it would fly.
Military AF would be good for the Air Force. Do that many Air Force people use gloves? I would love a “Salt” version to be called the Navy as well.
First has been very interesting and thank you for the background story . I only have the first run of the Lefty Military , it is my most special Spyderco I own . If there ever a change why not Military 2 ? Since it would be a dramatic change , it definitely fits into the second generation category . Regards MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
sal

Post by sal »

Wow,

Great story Vivi, thanx much for sharing.

And thanx for all of the comments and suggestions. I don't know how I missed this thread last year, but it looks like a good thing that Noddy brought it back. Eric has a Military 2 that he's testing, but I'd be interested in a discussion for improvement, especially from those that enjoy and appreciate the model. I'll go through it in more detail later (running right now).

sal

=============================================================================

"Continual improvement is our evolutionary obligation to Humankind".
James Y

Post by James Y »

Fireman wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:04 pm

I've mentioned this a few times in the threads that have discussed the upcoming compression lock Military; IMO, the best name for it is the PM4. PM4, because it would be the fourth iteration in the Paramilitary family, and also because of the 4" blade. So we'll have both the Military and the PM4.

Jim
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

Sal,

Thank you for taking the time to join this thread and for asking us for input. While I am open to a Military 2, and I will definitely buy one when they become available, I’m in the group that hopes the current Military continues to be produced. To me, it is perfect in every way. The only “improvement” I would like to see is more steel options. I have 3 versions of the current Military and almost every single time I use one, I am reminded why the Military is my favorite folder.
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Nice thread, always cool to see Spyderco's and someone's history intertwined !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:53 pm
Wow,

Great story Vivi, thanx much for sharing.

And thanx for all of the comments and suggestions. I don't know how I missed this thread last year, but it looks like a good thing that Noddy brought it back. Eric has a Military 2 that he's testing, but I'd be interested in a discussion for improvement, especially from those that enjoy and appreciate the model. I'll go through it in more detail later (running right now).

sal

=============================================================================

"Continual improvement is our evolutionary obligation to Humankind".

Dear Sal,

as has been discussed extensively already anyway in this and other threads:
I am among those who just wish that the Millie would keep the linerlock. Imho a bit better suited for this particular (!) (kind of) model than a comp.lock - better usable in the outdoors with gloves and cold fingers, better ergos in real "hard use" (no hot spot that a comp.lock cutout can create), safer in operation if one does not want the "fingers all the time out of the blade path" comp.lock pinch grip method (which can make a knife make a bit unsafe in hand in harsh conditions concerning accidental dropping)

I know you said already that the linerlock Millie "1" will remain in the lineup anyway, but perhaps, as suggested by many here and to avoid confusion, calling the comp.lock) "Millie 2" something like "Para 4" "Paramilitary XL" or "PM2 XL" would be something to consider - ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I am still in the camp of leave it alone. It’s perfect. Look at all the praise. I am surprised we have not seen a K390 Military. I thought after the BBS PM 2 and PM3 we would see a Military somewhere. Perfect steel for this model. Oh well, I will keep my eyes open for the next Military.
phaust

Post by phaust »

Honestly as long as the weight doesn't go up, I trust I'll like the changes (and I love the current version). The Millie stands out for its size and weight. Another 5+ oz/3.5-4" edge knife would get lost in the crowd though.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Had to put my Pacific Salt in my knife drawer and reach for my Military today after seeing this thread bumped back to page 1.

After using it for some chores around the house, to me the #1 update the Military needs is a four way clip option. Other than that I think it's about as perfect of a design as Spyderco offers.

I don't have strong feelings either way with regard to the liner lock vs compression lock debate.

The liner lock has an advantage when it comes to ease of use, especially with gloved hands.

The compression lock for me would have the advantage of better ergonomics while using the knife, as the large cut-out for the liner lock interferes with ergonomics more than the cut-out on the back side for a compression lock.

Being limited to right hand tip down, to me, feels like a design cue outof the past. Simple giving the model a four way clip and offering it in a new cutting edge steel would go a long way towards modernizing a Spyderco classic.
:unicorn
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

vivi wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:01 pm

the #1 update the Military needs is a four way clip option. Other than that I think it's about as perfect of a design as Spyderco offers.

Being limited to right hand tip down, to me, feels like a design cue outof the past.
I agree. As someone who changes knives through the week it makes it difficult to have only one model carried tip down. It takes a day just to get the muscle memory down.

The comp/liner debate is less important to me. I enjoy both.