Return of the Reverse?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jim Malone

Return of the Reverse?

Post by Jim Malone »

With all the request flying around for returns of certain models i would also like to make a request.

Is it possible to make a return of the Reverse?
Developed bij Michael Janich and Southnarc it was a cool little fixed blade with a reversible handle so you could change the configuration to reverse edge or traditional edge.

I don't ask for any wonder steel. Just make a run again so people who missed out on it can buy it again. I wouldn't even mind it when it came out in the low(er) cost steel 8Cr13MOV of the bow river!
A taco style sheath would be advisable because on of the main drawbacks noted was the fact that the sheath was pretty large for the knife.
These knives don't come out on the secondary market so i guess making it available again ( please make it international available) might be a good idea.
DrHE

Re: Return of the Reverse?

Post by DrHE »

I have an original one that I carry daily in my CHL briefcase (with my P320) and they are outstanding. I would love to have another 1 or 2 to stash where I may need them.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

I'd buy one. I think the BD1 that it originally was in was great for the purpose, and fairly inexpensive. And by most acounts a good steel in general. I don't know if 8CrMoV is cheaper but if so again would be fine for the purpose. So would plain old 440C which has the advantage of being American made. But I know these days everything is about the newest steel d'jour. For many knife aplications they're important,but sometimes I see people saying they would buy that model if it just wasn't in x steel but y steel just for the newer steel, not because of any differance in performance or need there of.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I find this new focus on steel so weird. I think you should balance out the steel you use for the intended tasks of knife. In say this case you need a shock resistant steel that is easy to sharpen and has some corrosion protection. You don't need a steel like S7 build for choppers, you don't need steel that gets a fantastic edge but rust due to sweat. You don't need ultra long cutting power with an edge that is brittle and chips when it hits bone. You need a steel that follows a middle of the road attempt to be what the average knife USER needs for this knife. And it should be relatively affordable because this is clearly intended as a user knife and not a sockdrawer knife. I always find simularities with racebikes. I need hydraulic brakes, it needs to be carbon fiber, it needs to be light, it needs to be exclusive, it needs to have hydraulic steer shifting.....nice but do you ride it? No it's to beautiful to ride it, if i fall i'll break my 8000€ bike.....
But in the mean time no one can buy a normal racebike because all the manufacturers are making high end racebikes for some urban snob who just rides his custom bike one time a month under good weather conditions but brags to his mates all the time that he has a very exclusive bike.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Maybe can Sal give us some feedback if a return of the Reverse will ever be possible?
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

I agree Jim, for most people S30V is everything they need. BD1 or BD1N by all accounts are excellent steels for not just this but pretty much any knife use. Holds an good edge for a decent amount of time, perhaps not as long as others but makes up for that by being easy to sharpen and has great corrosion resistance. Haven't heard much about it's shock resistance but if it's good sounds like a great steel that should see more use. Almost an ideal steel, right? Why then isn't it more popular? Percieved value. It's not very expensive or rare so knife consumers are like eh.
Though I have heard many people on here saying they've used a given steel and found it wanting in some area that they require. For them I see the problem if a given model isn't available in a steel that would better fit their needs.
But when I see people respond to threads like this and others or about a new model and they say "I'll buy it as long as it's not S30V I'm so tired of every knife in S30V" I have to laugh. S30V is probably fine for most uses.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I'd buy a Reverse if they made another run. Although a taco-style sheath with a small footprint would be better, I am hesitant to ask for it given the release delays attributed to the sheath of the Swick.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I think it would do better now than when it was first released. Reverse edge knives have really gained a following over the last few years, myself among the followers.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I'd take one, should've picked one up back then!
And yes, the original steel would be great just like many other good basic user steels. The super fancy steels are great for special runs and such but most modern basic user steels are already a great quality for a daily user.

(I practice some grinding and knife making (fixed blade), will keep everything in O1 and D2 while I'm still learning how to grind, maybe someday when I get better I'll bother with some fancier steels but for now these should be fine)
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, All:

Thank you for your interest in the Reverse. It was/is a unique design that represented the friendly dichotomy of Craig Douglas' approach to knife tactics and mine. Craig and I have been friends for almost 20 years and I have huge respect for him, his skills, and his abilities as an instructor. I was thrilled that we could create a design based on our ability to "agree to disagree."

For the record, I purposely chose CTS BD1 because it was corrosion resistant and would allow us to achieve a reasonable street price. I wanted it to be affordable. In my opinion, what really held the knife back was the size of the sheath and the lack of a trainer. Even with that said, it's a specialized tool with a limited audience. That makes it a challenge to produce as a commercially successful design.

Sadly, I doubt we'll see it return.

Stay safe,

Mike
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Ok thx Mike. I love your designs. Have them all except the Reverse. So it's missing in my collection. I think a trainer and a taco sheath is nothing Spyderco could not overcome. Even the taco sheath could be made by a local sheathmaker. Are you shure there aren't any one laying around in the stock? You could send me a private message if you ever find a source. Been searching one for quit some time. Never saw one on the secondary market.
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

In the Reverse the BD1 is perfect for it as the corrosion resistance has been great (even with TX heat!) and I just use it as a defense knife so as long as it holds an edge through that it’s all good. I treasure it as a Brilliant design that’s excellent for its chosen purpose.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031