Best place to sell?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Best place to sell?

Post by Sharp Guy »

Snacktime wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:04 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:42 pm
I disagree with the SHOULD be free part. Sounds a bit entitled to me. I'm pretty sure revenue isn't the only reason they ask sellers to buy a membership.
Originally forums where privately owned a long time ago. Membership was to help pay for servers vs having adds. As time went on they all got purchased by big server companies and used to make money selling adds. If you give Bladeforums.com money are you supporting the forum or making someone else rich?

20 years ago, you got an email, private messages and a forum by just signing up. Ran 100% on donations and even paided for raffle items. Good ole MaxxTraxx.com set the standard.

Let's not go down the Reddit hole ⛳
ASFAIK Blade Forums is still privately owned

I fully understand how forums work. I've been a moderator on a fairly big one for over 10 years. And yes the one I belong to was bought out by a big media company. So I understand that too
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
vivi

Post by vivi »

cabfrank wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:43 pm
Maybe try the Spyderco Swap on reddit, if for no other reason, there isn't a lot of activity there. vivi has a thread, I think you also have to pm him to be added.
yep, just added two members tonight.

www.reddit.com/r/spydercoswap

no fees, only people from this forum allowed, price things as you see fit as long as its reasonable.
:unicorn
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

The nice thing is dealing with people from this forum.
czgunner

Post by czgunner »

vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:34 am
cabfrank wrote:
Maybe try the Spyderco Swap on reddit, if for no other reason, there isn't a lot of activity there. vivi has a thread, I think you also have to pm him to be added.

no fees, only people from this forum allowed, price things as you see fit as long as its reasonable.
Sent you a PM requesting access. Thank you!
timlara

Post by timlara »

cycleguy wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:10 pm
I would like to know myself.

I dislike using ebay but it is where I have had the best success as a seller and seems the easiest format. Most of what I own is Exclusives and Sprints and long discontinued and can sell for a premium. I look at past sales and determine the range and list somewhere around the middle of that range. Things usually sell quickly. I also use make an offer which sometimes brings in offers in excess of the listing price, reasonable lesser offers, and of course low ball and ridiculous offers. Ebay also makes shipping easy with their prepay shipping labels and slightly discounted shipping prices. You are responsible for the item until delivered so I always insure for the full amount which usually runs about as much as shipping so shipping nearly doubles in cost after insurance. Also, since you have to be an ebay member to participate, questionable buyers seem to get weeded out and I don't bother with International shipping so those buyers are weeded out as well unless they use a US address for delivery.

Unfortunately with ebay, buyers don't get the best pricing as they are burdened with tax and likely an increased selling price to offset ebay fees.

I tried selling on Bladeforum this year and found I can sell about 10 on ebay to every 1 on bladeforum, and I adjusted the price down on bladeforum so the in my pocket dollar amount was equal between the two websites. It seemed most on BladeForum were looking for items below the reasonable sale price and I often received trade offers for items like a briefcase or fancy pair of tennis shoes; and non-members to cheap to buy a base membership will reach out to you for your email so they can send a lowball offer.

Bladeforum seemed to work better to keep selling price up on current production knives that sell for less than new since selling fees and taxes aren't involved as they are on ebay.

I rotate my collection and that is why I have the need to sell, I don't do this to flip and pocket a few dollars. The money is so little i'm surprised people even bother with flipping. As a collector it is nice to be able to pursue an interest and not have to incur much cost for the entertainment gained when you decide to change things.
This has been pretty much my exact experience as well. I mainly sell to fund new purchases and try to stay as close to a "one in one out" policy as possible to make the hobby more affordable.

Ebay's fees have gotten quite high, which is a bummer, but for me personally it is still worth the convenience of reaching a huge audience of buyers and having everything be pretty much automated to the point that all I have to do is take a few photos and pack up the knife when it sells.
Tim
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

vivi wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:34 am
cabfrank wrote:

Messaged mods in reddit as user the_superfool.
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I sell exclusively on Bladeforums and I have been a supporting member for a few years. I have sold at least 100 blades there (you don’t always recurrence feedback even if you ask). It’s quick and painless really. In fact, sold a knife Saturday in less than 30 minutes. Majority of the time I get what I paid for the knife or close to it, of course shipping is a minus but hey… better than having it sit and on to the next!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006