Which GOLDEN ERA Model Should Be Next?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Co Pilot

Re: Which GOLDEN ERA Model Should Be Next?

Post by Co Pilot »

bearrowland, Thanks man. I can't take all the credit. Well maybe some,lol. Sal seemed to like the idea pretty quickly and the rest of you guys speaking up helped for sure. I joined up just to take what seemed like a pretty long shot and post that thread. Who knew it might pay off? Hope it does come to fruition and pleases a lot of Spydie fans.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:35 pm
When was the first Spydie produced in Taiwan? And what model was it? I’m trying get a geographical sense of the GOLDEN ERA.
I'm not exactly sure on that one. It seems like I started seeing the first Taiwan units back around 2012 or thereabout.

I think they actually had one made in Italy before any of the Taiwan units came about. I'm sure that SpyderWiki has got the straight scoop on it ( if you know where to look anyway).
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

lilshaver wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:08 pm
I am a long time Jess Horn fan so I would certainly love to see the return of the full size model with micarta scales in a good stainless steel.
Yeah you can't go wrong with any of those Jess Horn models. I just wish that Jess Horn would have had at least one bigger, full sized collaboration similar in size to the POLICE & Military models.

My favorite Jess Horn model was the Burgundy, ZDP-189 model from about 2006 I think it was.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I still think Spyderco should do a "heritage" series of sprint runs of many of the earlier models. Do them all in Spyderco's Spy27 and maybe do a G10 pattern that matches the Spyderco box or something really unique. Do it in a yearly or biyearly cycle, it would be huge with collectors.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:05 am
I still think Spyderco should do a "heritage" series of sprint runs of many of the earlier models. Do them all in Spyderco's Spy27 and maybe do a G10 pattern that matches the Spyderco box or something really unique. Do it in a yearly or biyearly cycle, it would be huge with collectors.
That's an excellent idea!!! Albeit I wouldn't necessarily want to restrict them all to SPY-27 blade steel but that's something that can be talked over and negotiated. But the overall idea I think would be awesome for Spyderco's sales charts.

There are so many newcomers and particularly in the past 3 to 5 years that aren't even aware of many of the GOLDEN ERA models we speak of. And to call it the "Spyderco Heritage Series" would be an almost perfect slogan.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:39 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:35 pm
When was the first Spydie produced in Taiwan? And what model was it? I’m trying get a geographical sense of the GOLDEN ERA.
I'm not exactly sure on that one. It seems like I started seeing the first Taiwan units back around 2012 or thereabout.

I think they actually had one made in Italy before any of the Taiwan units came about. I'm sure that SpyderWiki has got the straight scoop on it ( if you know where to look anyway).
Per Sal, in 2002 (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5904&p=60496&hilit=Salsa#p60496), it seems like the lion-share of Spyderco’s GOLDEN AGE production occurred in Japan.

This fact leads me to ask more insistently how feasible it is to ask that Spyderco bring back oldies but goodies.

Skills are said to have waned (Moki particularly), QA has faltered from time to time in recent years (Sakai?), and tooling may have gotten lost. And let’s not forget the needed permissions for bringing back collaborations.

I recall Sal doubting that the Ayoob’s tooling could be found. Fortunately, it was found, but what about the tooling for other 1998-2004 models mentioned in this thread?

Is the Taipei maker of the C71 Salsa still in business? What about the Swiss and German maker of, respectively, the C22 Walker in CF and the C53 Herbst in Ti?

All to say, it’s a miracle that we’re getting another stab at the Ayoob, but expecting more miracles seems like going to the well one time too many.

Said Yablonowitz recently to a newcomer, acquiring a rare Spydie “means buying one out of someone else's collection”. I think he nailed it. Now, if he’d just give me access to his micarta Calypsos.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:07 pm
Evil D wrote:
That's an excellent idea!!! Albeit I wouldn't necessarily want to restrict them all to SPY-27 blade steel but that's something that can be talked over and negotiated. But the overall idea I think would be awesome for Spyderco's sales charts.

There are so many newcomers and particularly in the past 3 to 5 years that aren't even aware of many of the GOLDEN ERA models we speak of. And to call it the "Spyderco Heritage Series" would be an almost perfect slogan.

I just figured it's their proprietary steel, there are a bunch of dealers who have their own series of steel/handle combos and Spyderco could get in on that action with essentially their own exclusive series and they would be super unique to Spyderco because nobody else can use that steel, or at least at this point no vendor has done a sprint with Spy27. The only issue you may see is people not feeling like the steel is "special" enough.
~David
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

If it hasn't been mentioned already, The original Fred Perrin Street Beat needs to make a come back.

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

Evil D wrote:
I agree, in fact I suggested something similar on page 4, just without thinking of the Spy27 which is a great idea. I suggested maroon g10 for the handles as I don't think that color material has been used much before. What do you think?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Co Pilot wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:46 am
Evil D wrote:
I agree, in fact I suggested something similar on page 4, just without thinking of the Spy27 which is a great idea. I suggested maroon g10 for the handles as I don't think that color material has been used much before. What do you think?

I like maroon, so long as it leans a bit more towards red than purple and isn't too bright and candy colored.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:58 am
Co Pilot wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:46 am
Evil D wrote:

I like maroon, so long as it leans a bit more towards red than purple and isn't too bright and candy colored.
OK Brother I just can't stand it anymore. I know I'm putting you on the spot but I've been wanting to get an answer from you for some time now. How do you rate the JD Smith model now that you have first hand experience? And how would you stack it up against other premium Spyderco full SE models? Or just GOLDEN ERA models for that matter.

Yeah I know you're an American under the Constitution and you have the right to remain silent>> and I guess you could continue to do that. But I'm really wanting to know what you think of that great GOLDEN ERA model.

Also if they ever make a full SE version of the JD Smith model again which steel would you like to see it in?
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I agree “Heritage “ series yearly release would really be a great idea along with using SPY27 . In the past we only see sprint runs , why not just dust off an older model run for a year ? SPY27 steel needs more use in more models not just lwt model runs . Great idea ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:30 am
I agree “Heritage “ series yearly release would really be a great idea along with using SPY27 . In the past we only see sprint runs , why not just dust off an older model run for a year ? SPY27 steel needs more use in more models not just lwt model runs . Great idea ! MG2
I will admit that the idea is growing on me each passing day. But I do think there are some things to consider regarding blade steel. First off the steels that make for a great plain edge don't always bode well for serrated/Spyderedges and vice-versa. I've found over the years that many steels that have had little fanfare like GIN-1, AUS-8, ATS-55 and 440V do have a great track record when used in full SE models.

With that said they could use up some old, left over bar stock if they should so choose. And if they were to do a "Heritage Series" you must include full SE models. Because during that era almost every model was available in SE & PE both.

I have no idea how SPY-27 would perform in a full SE model. However I have yet to try SPY-27 in PE yet.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:

There was a really unfortunate timing of Spy27 and MagnaCut, and it doesn't help when Spy27 hasn't even come out in a lot of models yet. MagnaCut has become a hype machine and has taken the wind right out of the Spy27 sails which is kind of a shame because if they did this heritage idea you know the first question would be "why not MagnaCut".

It just seemed like a good idea to me. Spyderco have done "series" knives before with the Kopa and Kiwi and today they're highly collectable. All the dealers are doing similar themed combinations and collectors love that sort of thing. It just seems like a sure thing if they nail down the steel/handle/color combo.
~David
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:50 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
I will admit that the idea is growing on me each passing day. But I do think there are some things to consider regarding blade steel. First off the steels that make for a great plain edge don't always bode well for serrated/Spyderedges and vice-versa. I've found over the years that many steels that have had little fanfare like GIN-1, AUS-8, ATS-55 and 440V do have a great track record when used in full SE models.

With that said they could use up some old, left over bar stock if they should so choose. And if they were to do a "Heritage Series" you must include full SE models. Because during that era almost every model was available in SE & PE both.

I have no idea how SPY-27 would perform in a full SE model. However I have yet to try SPY-27 in PE yet.
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:56 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:

There was a really unfortunate timing of Spy27 and MagnaCut, and it doesn't help when Spy27 hasn't even come out in a lot of models yet. MagnaCut has become a hype machine and has taken the wind right out of the Spy27 sails which is kind of a shame because if they did this heritage idea you know the first question would be "why not MagnaCut".

It just seemed like a good idea to me. Spyderco have done "series" knives before with the Kopa and Kiwi and today they're highly collectable. All the dealers are doing similar themed combinations and collectors love that sort of thing. It just seems like a sure thing if they nail down the steel/handle/color combo.
I couldn’t agree more which is sad in my opinion .Spyderco steel has a lot of potential , I think it should be given a chance to shine . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:28 am

OK Brother I just can't stand it anymore. I know I'm putting you on the spot but I've been wanting to get an answer from you for some time now. How do you rate the JD Smith model now that you have first hand experience? And how would you stack it up against other premium Spyderco full SE models? Or just GOLDEN ERA models for that matter.

Yeah I know you're an American under the Constitution and you have the right to remain silent>> and I guess you could continue to do that. But I'm really wanting to know what you think of that great GOLDEN ERA model.

Also if they ever make a full SE version of the JD Smith model again which steel would you like to see it in?

I'd like to plead the fifth on account of potentially incriminating myself. In fact I'd like to speak with my lawyer at this time.

🤣

I like it a lot. I would like it a lot more if the ricasso wasn't so huge, but I really like the blade shape and besides the ricasso thing I like the ergonomics a lot. It seems like there used to be a lot more knives that leaned more towards being classy and almost gent's knives than there are today, maybe part of that is today's textured G10 vs polished micarta that was used a lot back then. The JD Smith and Wayne Goddard both also seem to have a higher level of fit and finish than comparable knives from today. There has definitely been a big shift towards more tactical designs in the last 20 years and not just with Spyderco and those older models seem to have been designed with a whole different philosophy than we see today.
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have an aversion to upswept spines, but that JD Smith is appealing to my eye, EXCEPT for that unused edge of a ricasso. Why, oh, why is it there? Still, I ponder finding one.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:02 pm
I have an aversion to upswept spines, but that JD Smith is appealing to my eye, EXCEPT for that unused edge of a ricasso. Why, oh, why is it there? Still, I ponder finding one.

It works well enough as a finger choil and in fact feels pretty good ergonomically, it almost feels like a precursor to the finger choil.
~David
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

C 22 Michael Walker
C 46 Lum Tanto (hamagiri grind is a must)
C 55 Terzuola Starmate
All 3 with at least S35 or M390. I would buy all 3!
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder: