Is MAP pricing % changing come 2022?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cabfrank

Re: Is MAP pricing % changing come 2022?

Post by cabfrank »

I doubt that too. Of course I wish things were cheaper, but they cost what they cost. I'd still rather have a few good knives than a bunch of less good ones. The upside is, I've had my PM2 for around ten years now, and it's still worth what I paid for it. So, free ownership, if I were to sell it, which I'm not.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Ever since I joined this forum the prices have gone up every year. The quality and variety has gone way up too. I suspect I will be buying less knives in 2022 but honestly that's fine by me. Who knows what the future holds?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I wonder if Spyderco has followed the enthusiast crowd too much. Aside from maybe the Tenacious LW there’s really nothing they can sell to the average consumer who needs a knife to cut things. Even that is steep for entry level. $70 for a Dragonfly!

I think prices are a little bit ridiculous. $250 for a nice pocket knife. Think how much farther $250 goes elsewhere. You can buy a shotgun for $250.

I don’t think Spyderco is gouging or anything. Their prices go up because their costs or demand go up. But at current prices I’m more likely to look elsewhere for a non-essential knife purchase.
SSR3

Post by SSR3 »

There will still be a magical surge in demand following the price increase, as there has for the past 5-6 years. Y'all have revealed yourselves to be all talk and no action.
vivi

Post by vivi »

SSR3 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:40 pm
There will still be a magical surge in demand following the price increase, as there has for the past 5-6 years. Y'all have revealed yourselves to be all talk and no action.
speak for yourself. i've held true to my $200 or less rule.
:unicorn
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

vivi wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:23 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:11 am
vivi wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:43 am
Hard to believe the Para 2 launched at under $100 and Endura 4's were around $50.
I paid $113 for my first Para2, a digicam base model, from Knifeworks. That was either late 2012 or early 2013.

I got no issues with Spyderco and I hope they are doing well in these tough times. That said, I have to admit that it has drastically reduced the volume of my purchasing.
Same.

I am happy Spyderco raised their prices instead of moving all their Golden models to China like some companies have done. I will continue to support them, even if I buy less than I did a decade ago.
+1.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the funny thing is that the models that have lost their value the fastest (aside from the shaman) are models made overseas (seki) already.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

vivi wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:11 pm
i've held true to my $200 or less rule.
Hope you like your 2026 Tenacious 2 😂
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

SSR3 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:40 pm
This does seem to be true overall, looking online. But I do wonder if it's actually reflected in sales both units and overall dollars.

I've always been a secondary-market favoring buyer but the price increases and market changes over the past few years have eroded my enthusiasm for anything new. Some of it is just fatigue from being in the hobby for a long time, and some is just the trends are not very favorable to my preferences as they were in the past. I hope the Golden expansion works out, and new users are continually brought to the brand. I still purchase new knives several times a year for gifts and awards and although the increases always make me twinge a little (I remember regular, street price, non-sale, $45 Delicas! I bought a bunch!) it's worth it supporting a great company that makes good products.
cali

Post by cali »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:20 pm
I wonder if Spyderco has followed the enthusiast crowd too much. Aside from maybe the Tenacious LW there’s really nothing they can sell to the average consumer who needs a knife to cut things. Even that is steep for entry level. $70 for a Dragonfly!

I think prices are a little bit ridiculous. $250 for a nice pocket knife. Think how much farther $250 goes elsewhere. You can buy a shotgun for $250.
10 years ago Spyderco knives were recommended for everyone who needed a tool. Now they are expensive toys for enthusiasts. Year after year, down the slope. It's a pity.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

cali wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:30 pm
Spyderco knives were recommended for everyone who needed a tool. Now they are expensive toys for enthusiasts.
It's definitely hard to recommend to the average guy who just bought a well stocked tool kit for under $200 that they should buy a PM2 for the same price. It's an enthusiast market for sure.
tools.jpg
standy99

Post by standy99 »

A Delica or a Byrd is a everyday tool that’s still worth its money as a good reliable knife.
Anything above is a enthusiast luxury product.,

Same as pens, I use a Spoke Roady and love it another guy who has Spyderco’s at work uses a Lamy…..90% of work mates use a $30 issued Excalibur knife and a under $2 work issued pen.

Spyderco and Benchmade knives are not cheap knives so can’t be compared to $50 Chinese produced knives in my book. (Even most $50 Chinese knives 5 years ago are $60 nowadays)

I should have stopped buying knives after the GB1…Perfect in my eyes ….But I have bought 10+ knives I don’t need since :zany
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Gsg9 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:41 am
cycleguy wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:45 am
Gsg9 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:21 am
vivi wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:09 am

No one is forced to purchase after market clips though. That's like me blaming Spyderco for having to buy rit dye to make a green H1 Pacific Salt.

I'll let you figure out how much of this sticks out of the pocket.
It cost them nothing to bend the clip backwards first to make it deeper carry but they don't want that.

YEP!!! I hate it too when manufacturers won't/don't produce to my spec. :zany :vomit

YEP!!! you can now get off your horse bicycle and drink your milk
Gsg9 what knife company do you like? It sounds like your money isn’t with Spyderco, why waste your breath?

I for one like the clip options from Lynch and MXG. These company’s give options, and they are made here in the States too. Win win.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Mystery Flavor

Post by Mystery Flavor »

I was hoping Sal or Kristi might chime in. It's starting to appear like spyderco does not want customers to be aware ahead of time of MAP % price changes. We should just "enjoy" being surprised with price increases is how it can seem?

I agree with many of you. If things keep going with the yearly price increases it only makes sense that more and more people will be choosing to spend their money elsewhere or on less spydercos per year. Or simply to start discovering other knife brands.

The tool kit example is a really good way to visualize what a certain amount of money can get a person. It really makes me realize just how much spyderco's products are losing the appearance of "a good value" at an ever increasing rate.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I often don’t like the weather, but complaining about it sorta worsens my mood.
-Marc (pocketing a VG10 JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Mystery Flavor

Post by Mystery Flavor »

If anyone doesn't like this the "weather" in this thread you certainly don't need to read any posts in here or reply.

Complaining just to complain is one thing. If some people didn't notice this thread I started was with a very simple and specific question. So far nobody has been able to answer it.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Mystery Flavor wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:50 am

The tool kit example is a really good way to visualize what a certain amount of money can get a person. It really makes me realize just how much spyderco's products are losing the appearance of "a good value" at an ever increasing rate.
Why don't you just buy some knives now?
You still have two weeks before the new year.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Mystery Flavor wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:50 am
It’s apples and oranges. You are comparing cheap Chinese tools to a quality American made knife. You need to compare a Byrd to that Kobalt stuff and compare a Para2 to some quality tools. Quality tools are not super affordable either.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Kobalt hand tools are made in Taiwan, likely down the street from the Taichung factory. It seems a fair comparison to me. I don't feel that Spyderco is up at the Stahlwillie or Gedore level. Maybe Felo level I could see.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Mystery Flavor wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:04 pm
If anyone doesn't like this the "weather" in this thread you certainly don't need to read any posts in here or reply.

Complaining just to complain is one thing. If some people didn't notice this thread I started was with a very simple and specific question. So far nobody has been able to answer it.
You seem to have mistaken my point. The weather and inflation are alike in their ubiquity. We know production costs at Spyderco, as elsewhere, have gone up.

Do you honestly imagine MAP pricing won’t change to our disadvantage (like the weather often does). If you’re actually as jaded as many of us here, your question is rhetorical.

Plan on a change, be happy if it doesn’t get worse.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing a VG10 JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”