BladeHQ PM2 Aluminum-scale Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manixguy@1994

Re: BladeHQ PM2 Aluminum-scale Exclusive

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

:smirk
Superflex wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:05 pm
I dunno.
It would have to be a new steel or blade shape to get me to bite.
Maybe a SE Wharnie in LC200N or Magnacut
As far as I know CSI has the exclusive right for Wharnie PM2 models . I got an email yesterday stating that exclusives are scheduled for sometime next year . I only have one Aluminum scale knife in my collection and it is rather small so I don’t carry it much . Blade HQ teaser looks nice but not my preferred scale material . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

One big advantage of using aluminum is that it can be anodized much more vibrantly and in a much wider range of colors than titanium.

This exclusive looks like it’s going to be a “BladeHQ blue”, which is a color that’s not achievable when anodizing titanium.

A while back on here I was wondering why more aluminum scales weren’t used, for that reason in itself. It significantly increases the range of color and pattern possibilities on knives. The consensus seemed to be that people didn’t want their knives to look used and carried because anodized aluminum isn’t the most durable and gets scratched up easily. Hard anodizing is possible on aluminum but the range of colors is largely reduced.
-Nick :bug-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have Protechs and Benchmades that are hard anodized aluminum and they are holding up well enough.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
benben

Post by benben »

I love the aluminum scales on my older C60 Ayoob, they warm up nicely just like titanium after being in your pocket for a little while.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I would love old surefire style ha III in natural - no one does that finish anymore
Peacedivision

Post by Peacedivision »

are these slabs like their copper PM2 or just scales over liners?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Peacedivision wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:09 am
are these slabs like their copper PM2 or just scales over liners?
I'm hoping this was a reason to reuse the R&D of the copper models unique design.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I almost hate to admit it, but I'm actually kind of excited about this one. I'm not a fan of slick aluminum, but the texturing on this looks really nice. As long as the price isn't outrageous, I'll probably be trying for this one. Hah, I guess I've resisted the urge to buy the last 3,714 PM2 exclusives, they were bound to wear me down at some point..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Different and/or exotic handle materials WOULD be a big draw for me.... on any knife but the PM2 that must have 100 different aftermarket scale options widely available from many sources.

It's a hard sell for me.

Why not some exclusive handles on knife that DOESN'T have 101 aftermarket scales that are arguably better than the ones you're offering.

Now that I've been critical, let me say the scales look nice, they're cheaper to buy already installed (as opposed to buying a knife + scales), and you don't have to install them which can be tricky.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Matus

Post by Matus »

I just leave this here 😋

https://youtu.be/Y3ZHYga1oCA?t=195
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Yawn...
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

While I'm not excited about yet another PM2 exclusive...I have to disagree with Nick. It's not Spyderco's fault that supply chains have been strained, dealers have ordered a tons of PM2 exclusives, and work was sporadic. I mostly blame dealers ordering PM2 exclusives...I mean, SMKW with THREE PM2's back to back to back. That is just overkill. The production schedule basically forced Spyderco's hand as well with all the exclusives. It was just a perfect storm I think. They could tell dealers they aren't going to do PM2s for a while, but that would be a stupid business move because PM2 = money. I just wish dealers would pick something else...I mean, you have so many awesome models yet...let's do another PM2!

Spyderco only has so much production capacity, and they are a pretty small company for the amount of success they have, and they are expanding so it wil get better.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Matus

Post by Matus »

I would hope that it is Spyderco who decides on what order knives get made, not dealers. But also - we need to remember that all the exclusives that were coming out were probably ordered back in 2019 and Spyderco might be contractually bound to make them happen within certain period of time. Then add all the issues with supply chains pretty much all industries were experiencing the past 2 years, and you may have your answer. Or not. Just my hypothesis.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Let's all be glad it's not Jade G10 when talking a BladeHQ exclusive.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Snacktime wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:45 pm
Let's all be glad it's not Jade G10 when talking a BladeHQ exclusive.
+1
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

These are posted on their Facebook page.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think I'd get one and strip the anodizing off and polish the aluminum and make myself a ghetto fluted-ish Para 2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:30 pm
These are posted on their Facebook page.
Yeah just saw them. I don't think I'd get one either way but there's too much other spending going on for me right before Christmas. So probably won't be in on this one
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Kinda old school (you don't get many aluminum handles anymore), but kinda modern (with the texture and contouring) - too broke for this, but it's cool
Last edited by GarageBoy on Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.