Kahr Delica Reintroduction

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
p_atrick

Re: Kahr Delica Reintroduction

Post by p_atrick »

Really happy with my purchase. I’d recommend picking up the greyman edition if interested.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

While I have had two and still own one Kahr Delica, they go for too much on eBay to risk it. I made my own using the original as a template.
While it’s not the same it’s close enough for government work. I also have a saber grind one that I rounded the spine and removed the jimping on that I carry.

ETA: I’d definitely buy another one or two to carry or as a gift for SOs
Attachments
C9A7BBE1-F15E-4DC5-B771-D1678C759B7A.jpeg
544D1851-BDD4-4719-8278-16EE9008B641.jpeg
E61A1C48-E5E4-483E-918E-CA72DFF11437.jpeg
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

zhyla wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:53 pm
Co Pilot wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:09 pm
I would still like to see this model directly from Spydrco. No knock on knives plus or anyone else moding Delicas. Would prefer a factory version, no worries about any damage to heat treat, etc. that way. Plus hopefully could get the color options originally available that are not available on current Delicas
Yes, but if you actually wanted one that bad you would buy one or have someone spend all of 15 minutes grinding one down.
You've posted several comments like this in my thread on bringing back the Co Pilot, and I really don't know why? In that thread you gave me some useful onformation about finding used Co Pilots on ebay, but in some seemed, I don't know, defensive about my posting asking for a reintroduction of the Co Pilot? And here you seem almost argumentative and I have no idea why. Do these two models realy bother you? LOL. Or is it the reintroduction of old models in general?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:14 pm
Really happy with my purchase. I’d recommend picking up the greyman edition if interested.
Dear p_atrick:

I'm very happy to hear you're pleased with your knife. I hope it serves you well.

Stay safe,

Mike
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

Dodge wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:22 pm
While I have had two and still own one Kahr Delica, they go for too much on eBay to risk it. I made my own using the original as a template.
While it’s not the same it’s close enough for government work. I also have a saber grind one that I rounded the spine and removed the jimping on that I carry.

ETA: I’d definitely buy another one or two to carry or as a gift for SOs
Dodge, nice Kahr Delica, and nice mod work. Sadly I'm not that handy and the people I know who are just don't want to try it. Even the knife ones. That's the reason I'd like to see it brought back, and because I think it fills a big need, not just for the places where it's the only legal option that also has a full size handle and the great ergos, but so others couls enjoy it and fill their need for one.
As to why it sold poorly I think Mr. Janich addresed this some time, it was most;y sold through Kahrs website and maybe there dealers. Makes pretty good sense it didn't sell, very little exposure and a lack of understanding of the concept and need.
I think the understanding is there now and it migh sell better, it really is just another version of the Delica, of which there are already many so I think Spyderco isn't opposed to making different versions.
Plus between you, me and a few others who posted we've easily sold 8!
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, All:

I think it's helpful to clarify why the Kahr Arms Delica didn't sell well. Kahr makes guns. As a manufacturer, they feed their own distributor and dealer network at margins that are appropriate for that market. When they buy a non-gun product from another manufacturer like Spyderco, their cost is higher. For consistency, they tried to plug the Delica into their standard margin structure, but the economics are different. For gun dealers, the margin was too low. For knife buyers, the price was too high.

These basic economics are why most Spyderco accessories are being sold consumer direct. That's the only way to keep the prices affordable. Adding margins for distributors and dealers so everyone can eat just isn't practical.

For the record, this is also who many gun companies who make branded knives often end up with low-end quality...

Stay safe,

Mike
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Michael Janich wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:33 am
Hey, All:

I think it's helpful to clarify why the Kahr Arms Delica didn't sell well. Kahr makes guns. As a manufacturer, they feed their own distributor and dealer network at margins that are appropriate for that market. When they buy a non-gun product from another manufacturer like Spyderco, their cost is higher. For consistency, they tried to plug the Delica into their standard margin structure, but the economics are different. For gun dealers, the margin was too low. For knife buyers, the price was too high.

These basic economics are why most Spyderco accessories are being sold consumer direct. That's the only way to keep the prices affordable. Adding margins for distributors and dealers so everyone can eat just isn't practical.

For the record, this is also who many gun companies who make branded knives often end up with low-end quality...

Stay safe,

Mike
I have often wondered about that and now I know. Thanks!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Michael Janich wrote:
Hey, All:

Stay safe,

Mike

Cough..smithwesson…cough
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Really like the finish on the blade and the frn colors. Wish they were available on the standard production models.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Michael Janich wrote:
“Often” is pretty generous. Other than the SOG line they did for HK at one point… it’s all garbage out there.

Curious why Spyderco sells accessories direct to keep the costs down, but they sell knife prices at the bloated MSRP price. I’d gladly order from Spyderco if they sold at street pricing. I’m sure there’s a good reason but I’ve never figured it out.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Glad the OP posted this thread. I have one of these I picked up at a factory seconds sale in 2016 for $10. It was obviously a return and somebody had completely butchered the edge/tip with a power "sharpening." It was super dull and I didn't feel like spending the time to sharpen it and clean up the bevel right then, so I tossed it in a box to do later.

Turns out "later" was yesterday, after seeing this thread. I tossed on a show on Netflix and ran through the gamut of stones (diamond>medium>fine) on my Sharpmaker at 30* to clean up the back bevel, then the 40* to put the edge back on. I'm not super fast, so it took about 40 minutes. But now I have a fairly sharp knife.

The back bevel is still a bit ugly and wavy (due to the aforementioned power sharpening by a previous owner), but it'll do for a user. I'll be carrying this one and putting it to use for the next month or so (I try to swap out my edc rotation every month).
IMG_11122021_135407_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

As the op I'm glad you're glad,lol. Seriously though cool knife and nice job cleaning it up. I think one of the other things I really like about this knife are the handle colors, specifically the khaki color you have. Would you buy another one if they decided to reintroduce it? Hint: Demand would help get it reintroduced.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

What about a Dragonfly Wharncliffe with a 2.28” blade length and either VG-10 or K390?

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

RamZar wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:40 am
What about a Dragonfly Wharncliffe with a 2.28” blade length and either VG-10 or K390?

[/quot
Great knife, different concept. It's not just the wharncliffe blade the kahr Delica offered but the full length handle which offers much more control. Plus the blade was thicker than the ffl Dragonfly or Wharncliffe Delica, providing more tip strength.
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

RamZar wrote:

[/quot
Great knife, different concept. It's not just the wharncliffe blade the kahr Delica offered but the full length handle which offers much more control. Plus the blade was thicker than the ffl Dragonfly or Wharncliffe Delica, providing more tip strength.
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

Apologies for the double post.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Co Pilot wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:48 am
RamZar wrote:

The handle length is what set the Kahr Delica apart allowing a full grip with a legal 2.5” blade length. I have one and it looks odd with so much extra space for the blade in the handle when closed. However, it fulfilled a special need.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

zhyla wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:13 pm
Michael Janich wrote:
“Often” is pretty generous. Other than the SOG line they did for HK at one point… it’s all garbage out there.

Curious why Spyderco sells accessories direct to keep the costs down, but they sell knife prices at the bloated MSRP price. I’d gladly order from Spyderco if they sold at street pricing. I’m sure there’s a good reason but I’ve never figured it out.
Because you don't undercut the dealers you sell to?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:37 am
zhyla wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:13 pm
Michael Janich wrote:

Because you don't undercut the dealers you sell to?
Correct. Sal said the same a few years back when the topic was brought up.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
FK

Post by FK »

Dragonfly vs Delica with special shorter blade.
Agree the D'fly is a great knife with nice thin blade stock however, the short three finger grip has always made me favor the Delica. I presently have only the HAP-40 D'fly in my collection, unique little razor sharp blade that is inactive and in storage.

Regards,
FK