Native chief vs Endura?. **Now with pics**

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pancake

Re: Native chief vs Endura?. **Now with pics**

Post by Pancake »

Theldraskien wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:51 pm
I’m actually curious how the Police 4 compares to the Chief in the larger backlock category. Anyone have comparison pics for this two?
viewtopic.php?t=84961

It just happens that I made a thread some time ago comparing Chief and Police 4.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Attachments
20200420_230636.jpg
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Theldraskien wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:51 pm
I’m actually curious how the Police 4 compares to the Chief in the larger backlock category. Anyone have comparison pics for this two?

One is just a few posts above yours: viewtopic.php?p=1414374#p1414296

... and here is a whole thread where Pancake makes a great comparison of the two including a lot of pics:
viewtopic.php?t=84961
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
acer

Post by acer »

Native chief . What a super cool folder. 🕸⚔️
Theldraskien

Post by Theldraskien »

Pancake wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:57 pm
It just happens that I made a thread some time ago comparing Chief and Police 4.
Thanks Pancake, I actually found this thread after I posted. Very helpful :)
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

N/a
Last edited by DOUBLE D on Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Deleted… sorry. Playing around with post functions. Didn’t mean to bring up the thread
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

A pic for reference. These are all stock; no mods.

I'll refrain from comparisons at this time as the Endura has mostly been in my pocket for the last few months with the Native Chief next on deck. But, I sharpened the Stretch (1) the other day after a hunting trip and it landed back in my pocket ... so the Native Chief keeps getting pushed out its due pocket time.

Really, these are all great knives; it just comes down to personal preferences. Spyderco does their part well; you just need to do your part well.

CG
Attachments
IMG_3194.jpg
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Winch

Post by Winch »

I've been carrying an Endura for a few years and it's a great value knife. Just today I received a Native Chief and I like it a lot, potentially better than the Endura. I'll carry it for a while and see how it goes.
The knife I received is flawless. One "con" is the relatively sharp edges of the G-10 scales. Not a deal killer but I'm thinking that these edges will wear down to a smoother finish over time while carrying. This is my first knife with G-10 scales.

Question: Is the standard Sharpmaker OK for S30V touch up? I don't really like to let my knife go dull.
30 degree edge?

Thanks!
Winch
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Winch:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Winch wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:12 pm

Question: Is the standard Sharpmaker OK for S30V touch up? I don't really like to let my knife go dull.
30 degree edge?

Thanks!
Winch
Yes. It's perfect for it.

Welcome to the forum.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Endura needs a new handle. Period. Shaving down that first finger bump/point makes a huge difference. Give it a handle like the K390 Stretch or the Rock Jumper and it would be perfect.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:15 am
The Endura needs a new handle. Period. Shaving down that first finger bump/point makes a huge difference. Give it a handle like the K390 Stretch or the Rock Jumper and it would be perfect.
I sanded mine down per your advice to just mellow it out. I do like better. It was not a no go for me on the model because I like all that edge in a slim light package, but I agree that it could be improved. Maybe version 5 could have a more neutral handle with more hidden ricasso. When someone says Rock Jumper, I perk up.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Winch wrote:
I've been carrying an Endura for a few years and it's a great value knife. Just today I received a Native Chief and I like it a lot, potentially better than the Endura. I'll carry it for a while and see how it goes.
The knife I received is flawless. One "con" is the relatively sharp edges of the G-10 scales. Not a deal killer but I'm thinking that these edges will wear down to a smoother finish over time while carrying. This is my first knife with G-10 scales.

30 degree edge?

Thanks!
Winch

Welcome to the forum! :smlling-eyes

- There'll be an FRN Chief (almost can't wait for it myself): As it normally is with FRN I am sure it won't have the "sharp edges" on the handle and overall even better ergos than the G10 Chief due to the FRN chamfering and rounding of the edges (not much of this on the Natives though, but will still make a difference I think).
And it will most likely even lighter.

- As Doc has said already: The Sharpmaker is perfect, you should have no problems keeping S30V sharp with it.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Winch wrote:
... One "con" is the relatively sharp edges of the G-10 scales. Not a deal killer but I'm thinking that these edges will wear down to a smoother finish over time while carrying. This is my first knife with G-10 scales.

----
Added to my previous post:

Of course you can smooth out the edges of an G10 handle yourself with some sandpaper, no problem (cause imo they won´t really get much smoother just over time, as you are hoping).
Just wear some good protection mask, I think G10 dust is probably not the best thing for your lungs... ;) )
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:47 am
Winch wrote:
... One "con" is the relatively sharp edges of the G-10 scales. Not a deal killer but I'm thinking that these edges will wear down to a smoother finish over time while carrying. This is my first knife with G-10 scales.

----
Added to my previous post:

Of course you can smooth out the edges of an G10 handle yourself with some sandpaper, no problem (cause imo they won´t really get much smoother just over time, as you are hoping).
Just wear some good protection mask, I think G10 dust is probably not the best thing for your lungs... ;) )
Yeah. Something about all of that glass cutting up your lungs... ;)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:38 am
There'll be an FRN Chief (almost can't wait for it myself): As it normally is with FRN I am sure it won't have the "sharp edges" on the handle and overall even better ergos than the G10 Chief due to the FRN chamfering and rounding of the edges (not much of this on the Natives though, but will still make a difference I think).
I hope you’re right. But I’m not sure Spyderco has realized/agreed the FRN Native 5 is too hard edged to be comfortable. If the FRN Chief follows suit… I dunno, maybe I will get one and round it off but there has to be enough material on the corners.

So strange. They put all that effort/cost into contouring the Shaman. But the FRN models are rarely all that contoured.