Trying SE for the first time on a Byrd ?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
PocketShredder

Re: Trying SE for the first time on a Byrd ?

Postby PocketShredder » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:02 pm

Ramonade wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:50 pm
Well, haven't had much time with it for now on but I can already say that it blows through a lot of material easily.
It eats wood like popcorn and cardboard, well, a plain edge wouldn't cut this as easily :
Wowza! I think I know which Byrd I'm getting next :winking-tongue

Kale

Postby Kale » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:33 pm

I'll have to try it with cardboard! The Byrd hawkbill is already my favorite knife, thanks to utility in the garden and it's nice precise tip. Upgrading with the Meadowlark's titanium scales, it looks really nice as well.

z1r

Postby z1r » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:28 pm

Ramonade wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:46 am
Lost my whole post because of a missclick... What an idiot :shush
Here we go again...

I received my Hawkbill today ! The amazon product page listed it as a Meadowlark II with Hawkbill blade shape in SE, I guess it's the old name for it since I can see both stickers on the box. I was just surprised seeing "Hawkbill" on the handle ^^

Right out of the box, you can see that this is a mean blade shape with gorgeous teeth ready to cut! I did some testing and it can go through like 5 layers of thick cardboard when a PE would just give up. Pretty impressive, and it is really thin BTE thanks to the hollow grind.

However, I feel a ton of grittyness while opening and closing the blade. This means one thing :

Just after having almost removed the liner, I put it back when I remember the PITA it is to put it back on the FRN knob on this kind of knives :

Let's go the other route then :

These two pics show the suspects : the residue on the blade and washers, that looks like a dry mechanic oil (?), and the burrs at the inner diameter of both washers :

Almost done, all cleaned, burrs removed on the washer without thinning them away, there's just this wonderful step left due to this method :

The knife runs smoothly now ! The edge itself had a minuscule burr near the tip, but it was easy to remove it. I'll try to upload a "1 month use" post or something like that.
I can already tell this can eat through a lot !
I needed a knife to keep on my bike so I picked up a Cara Cara 2. It too was a little less easy to open than it should be so I deburred the washers, and did the cleaning you did. Now it smooth as can be.

Ramonade

Postby Ramonade » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:21 am

Interesting, it needs a bit of love and care upon arrival, but a byrd can run very smooth and secure !
:respect Owned :respect : S35VN, S45VN, S30V, S90V, S110V, M390, K390, ZDP-189, Maxamet, CTS-BD1N, CTS-XHP, CPM154, LC200N, D2, 12C27(+mod), 14C28N, 420HC, Victorinox's steel, 440C(and others), 8cr...., the end ?

Return to “byrd Knife General Discussion”