Seconds sale

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AlexRus

Re: Seconds sale

Post by AlexRus »

Congrats to everyone on their Seconds Sale scores! :bug-red-white
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Bstueve wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:40 pm
I bought:
Manix2 LW cts bd1n $37
Manix2 g10 m390 $69
Canis s30v $105
Para2 g10 s90v $95
Para 2 g10 s45vn $53
Para3 g10 s45vn $58
Yojimbo g10 s30v $53
Sage 5 lw s30v $54
Mule lc200n $58
Mule s45vn $35
Mule Spy 27 $30
Huge assortment of stones $15
Was looking for Watu or Kapara but no luck there. Had several more in basket before checking out but had to put a few back so I could afford gas for drive home including para 2 tanto.
People on eBay are selling these for 2-400 dollars today. SMH
MRj “Weak things break!”
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Mrj wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:44 pm

It's not for me to say what's fair, but it would cost a lot more than a measly $400 to get me to wait in line in Golden.

I just checked Expedia, and to fly round trip from SNA to DIA is $60. I find that shocking, because every time I go someplace, it costs me ten times that. My lack of shopping skills aside, we'll call it $100 because I'll want to buy a latte at the Starbucks in the airport. This whole endeavor would require an overnight stay, so tack on $150 for a hotel room. Don't forget a car and gas for both days, for $200. Food doesn't count, because I tend to eat wherever I am. Car service to the airport from home is going to cost upwards of $100.

So already the out-of-pocket is at $550, and that doesn't include 48 hours of my time. So if there are indeed "Second Hand Flippers" from last week's event, and they're doubling the price, they're still providing a service at a bargain price.

ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Nice work and thanks to Spyderco for doing it. I am a little envious of the Lc200n Mules that went out. All the support for Spyderco and people lining up gives me a warm fuzzy feeling and helps me to forget about being 2000 miles away.

Anyway, are there any leftovers? I have been dreaming of a second seconds lineup on line.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I was surprised to be third in line this year and get in on the swag as well. I was proxy shopping for six people and did pretty well with some help from my friends. Didn't bat a thousand, but only struck out completely once. I gotta win the lottery before the next one.

I had already handed off one proxy order and my girlfriend's gifts for putting up with me before I got home, so there are a few missing out of these pictures. Plus two Mules and a coffee mug had already gone into their respective collections, so they aren't shown either, but here is what I got home with.

Proxy shopping.

Personal shopping

It was a blast, and I'm looking forward to seeing all you good people again next year.
DFD04

Post by DFD04 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:52 pm
I was surprised to be third in line this year and get in on the swag as well. I was proxy shopping for six people and did pretty well with some help from my friends. Didn't bat a thousand, but only struck out completely once. I gotta win the lottery before the next one.

I had already handed off one proxy order and my girlfriend's gifts for putting up with me before I got home, so there are a few missing out of these pictures. Plus two Mules and a coffee mug had already gone into their respective collections, so they aren't shown either, but here is what I got home with.

Proxy shopping.

Personal shopping

It was a blast, and I'm looking forward to seeing all you good people again next year.

Great haul…it was so good to meet you! Hopefully we will make it next year.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Big Thanks to Yablabowitz for grabbing a Brouwer for me!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Funny, I never even thought to ask about PITS being available in the Seconds Sale. I figured they were all long gone by now, but I see at least one was at the sale. I wonder what other old models can be found?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

ykspydiefan wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:48 pm
Anyway, are there any leftovers? I have been dreaming of a second seconds lineup on line.
Online second seconds would be wonderful!
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

I cannot begin to explain how much fun it was this week. Hanging out with everyone from the forum, going out for pizza, sharpening sessions, oversized jenga competitions, cornhole competitions, bs’ing by the fire, walking the showroom, telling stories of how we got into Spyderco, the crew coming out and hanging out with us randomly throughout the day.
The knives were a second thought for me on this trip. It ended up being all about the friendships that I made this week. These are people that I really clicked with right out the gate and plan to talk with regularly from here on out. Thanks you all for everything!!

If any of you guys use other social media my Facebook is (Rich Cox) and my Instagram is (Candyman2891). Please reach out!
Rich
Think for yourself
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

sounds like a great time!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:38 pm
Mrj wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:44 pm

It's not for me to say what's fair, but it would cost a lot more than a measly $400 to get me to wait in line in Golden.

I just checked Expedia, and to fly round trip from SNA to DIA is $60. I find that shocking, because every time I go someplace, it costs me ten times that. My lack of shopping skills aside, we'll call it $100 because I'll want to buy a latte at the Starbucks in the airport. This whole endeavor would require an overnight stay, so tack on $150 for a hotel room. Don't forget a car and gas for both days, for $200. Food doesn't count, because I tend to eat wherever I am. Car service to the airport from home is going to cost upwards of $100.

So already the out-of-pocket is at $550, and that doesn't include 48 hours of my time. So if there are indeed "Second Hand Flippers" from last week's event, and they're doubling the price, they're still providing a service at a bargain price.

Meh I disagree. I can find the original firsts at the same or less on eBay. I could see middle of the road mark up but 400 for a pm2 that won’t hold value in a collection doesn’t seem viable. To each there own tho.
MRj “Weak things break!”
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Awesome to read about the great times there! I'd love to be able to meet folks in person as well, more so than about the knives themselves! Nice hauls everyone.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:52 pm

Proxy shopping.

Personal shopping

Awesome score! 👍
z1r

Post by z1r »

I met some great people both in line and inside the store. People were all too happy to try and help you find knives you'd been looking for. Me, I've wanted a Smock for quite some time. I was talking to a group of three guys and one of them had been waiting forever for a Smock to appear. Low and behold, a kind lady put out a tray in front of me with two Smocks in it. Someone grabbed one and I grabbed the other. A little while later I ran into the group of three who were leaving, the guy looking for the the Smock seemed kinda bummed so I handed him the Smock. The smile on his face was worth all the waiting on line and digging through trays of knives. When I finally realized I had more knives than I could buy, I started handing out the one's I couldn't afford to those that had been searching for them. The staff was great. They had water, snacks, and best off all, Chappy and some of the others were outside prior to opening serving hot coffee to those waiting on line.
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

Many thanks to Yablanowitz for grabbing the other Brouwer and Sun and Moon Chaparral for me!
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Rinzler wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:26 pm
I didn’t feel like fighting the lines and finally showed up 20 minutes to closing. I waited in line about 30 minutes and spent a good bit of time in the store perusing the stacks of knives.
So thinking to next year: I could, in theory, show up 10 minutes before 5pm closing and then be able to get in and wander the show room till I was done at say 7pm or however long it took me to go through what I wanted? :thinking
z1r

Post by z1r »

This last post makes me want to thank the staff who had an incredibly LOOOONG day putting on this sale for us. I was exhausted when I left at 4pm. I can only imagine how they must have felt being there before the store opened and leaving well after it closed! Many thanks!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

troutinCO wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:20 am
So thinking to next year: I could, in theory, show up 10 minutes before 5pm closing and then be able to get in and wander the show room till I was done at say 7pm or however long it took me to go through what I wanted? :thinking
If you are THAT guy, the one that every retail clerk on Earth wants to stab in the neck, and you are brave or stupid enough to do that in a showroom filled with thousands of sharp pointy things, give it a try. There are several descriptors for people like that, none of them complimentory. And trust me, they WILL remember you the next year, and they might not let you in even if you are first in line.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

troutinCO wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:20 am
Rinzler wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:26 pm
I didn’t feel like fighting the lines and finally showed up 20 minutes to closing. I waited in line about 30 minutes and spent a good bit of time in the store perusing the stacks of knives.
In theory yes, but you have much less time to browse the stock. If you’re only looking for one or two knives and don’t mind picking through everyone else’s rejects over the entire day, then yeah it could work out for you.

Spyderco was very kind and generous to let us have a few minutes to look for knives after closing time BUT they were quick to let us know that it was closing time. Once the lights started flickering off and on, I headed straight to the registers and got out. The employees had a long hectic day and I didn’t want them to prolong it any more than necessary.