To those who have multiple variants of the Native Chief..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheGiant80

To those who have multiple variants of the Native Chief..

Post by TheGiant80 »

The discussion about the fluted Ti Chief got me thinking about the variants that are currently available. I’ve got one in REX45 and I have to admit I’ve really come around to it.

The place I get my gear from still has the carbon/S90V in stock, and I’d like to hear from folks who have a few Chiefs (or just that one in particular). Why would this be a good purchase? What are your thoughts on it in general? Do you find the difference between it’s steel and my REX to be substantial?

Any input is appreciated. And I have to say, a Chief in titanium would be an instant buy, fluted or not!
TJB

Re: To those who have multiple variants of the Native Chief..

Post by TJB »

I have 3 Chiefs, rex45, s90v and dlc XHP. I would say fit and finish between all of them are A+. The carbon fiber s90v model is the stiffest of the 3 but i can still easily spydie flick it is i desire to. I think there is enough difference between rex45 and s90v to warrant it and not to mention the linerless carbon fiber is beautiful.

But that's just my 2 cents
kobold

Post by kobold »

The CF is only 6 grams lighter but much more beautiful than the burnt orange G10.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I did a blade swap of mine, so now my Rex45 is in that beautiful CF handle...and the S90V is relegated to the unused drawer with it's ugly burnt orange handle.
--Jeremy
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

Let me put it this way, I really like my REX45 Chief, but I love my S90V Chief.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

If I were going to EDC the Native Chief, I would do it in S90V & CF. I have a Rex Chief and really like the model a ton, I'm happy to have it in Rex45, but I don't intend on EDC-ing it.

The orange is not my favorite and Rex will stain readily; S90V is my favorite EDC steel and carbon fiber is just as functional as it is attractive.
So it goes.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I cant stand that its smooth cf. I really wish they had done peel ply cf.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:51 pm
I cant stand that its smooth cf. I really wish they had done peel ply cf.
Man, I gotta say that I feel the exact opposite of this, and I suppose that puts me in the minority. Nevertheless, I hope you get your wish with some future variant.
--Jeremy
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Thanks for the responses so far folks. One thing I’m wondering about; does the carbon have a decent amount of texture or is it pretty smooth? VooDooChild called it “slick”, so I imagine that means slippery. This thing is going to be a user, and no grip is no good.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I would say the cf Chief is more smooth than textured, but I also feel the texture on the siren should be the standard g10 texture. After carrying for a few months it all seems to smooth out too much anyway.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:50 pm
Thanks for the responses so far folks. One thing I’m wondering about; does the carbon have a decent amount of texture or is it pretty smooth? VooDooChild called it “slick”, so I imagine that means slippery. This thing is going to be a user, and no grip is no good.
The texture is smooth.
--Jeremy
dan31

Post by dan31 »

You should handle the CF S90v. It has some texture but it’s not like grippy G10. I think it’s perfect.
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

dan31 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:59 pm
You should handle the CF S90v. It has some texture but it’s not like grippy G10. I think it’s perfect.
I agree. I think it’s the perfect texture. I carry and use mine a lot and it has never once felt like it wasn’t secure in my hand. Part of this might be the shape and size of the handle and the fact that it feels like it was made for my hand. I also have the CTS-XHP Chief and my grip feels the same as it does with the CF. Both very secure. I like both of the models a lot. Fit and finish is excellent on both of mine but the carbon fiber makes the S90v version a little more unique to me.
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I really liked the standard S30v chief. But I absolutely adore the cf/s90v variant. The handle shape itself gives you plenty of purchase so there is no need for any grip texture imo (like with the Shaman). The cf is beautiful, and s90v is just amazing. Wish I could get my hands on an s90/cf shaman as well but I'm not paying $500 on the secondary market.

Should have picked up an m4/jade chief when they were released... Hindsight I guess!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
kobold

Post by kobold »

The CF is definitely not slippery. I think it is perfect too. Besides, I think it is the ergonomic handle and finger choil that locks your grip better than any surface treatment.

I use the Rex45 in the kitchen (rotating it with a Military) and the S90V/CF as a utility knife (mostly to cut leather too thick for scissors).
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JMM

Post by JMM »

I have all seven models, and the Rex45 & S90V models get 90+% of my 'Chief' pocket time, which is really just a result of those being my two fave Tool & Stainless steels, nothing to do with the scales per se... I'm not a huge fan of CF in general, but if it's done right (for me it's a texture/slickness thing) I do like it -- all of which is to say I really do like the CF on the Chief, it's among the best Spyderco CF I've ever had/owned/used. So while the CF/S90V Chief was the most expensive, I would buy it again in a second. I suspect until a fully serrated model comes out I will probably continue with my current usage pattern, Rex45 & S90V are both such great steels, I'm really glad that of all the steels possible Spyderco chose those two to be used on the Chief...
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I have a Rex and a CF.

The plan was to use them both, but the CF version is so good the Rex is still in the box!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
jdw

Post by jdw »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:36 am
I have a Rex and a CF.

The plan was to use them both, but the CF version is so good the Rex is still in the box!

Exactly the same for me as well. Even though the CF is smooth, I have found it to be very 'grippy' and with the ergos of the handle it has never felt slippery to me even when wet.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
VipeX

Post by VipeX »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:12 pm
The discussion about the fluted Ti Chief got me thinking about the variants that are currently available. I’ve got one in REX45 and I have to admit I’ve really come around to it.

The place I get my gear from still has the carbon/S90V in stock, and I’d like to hear from folks who have a few Chiefs (or just that one in particular). Why would this be a good purchase? What are your thoughts on it in general? Do you find the difference between it’s steel and my REX to be substantial?

Any input is appreciated. And I have to say, a Chief in titanium would be an instant buy, fluted or not!
They still have 31 in-stock and they started with 45, months ago. You still have time to think about it ;)

I too was eyeing the s90v/CF, the only problem is the price. Didn't pull the trigger yet...
Last edited by VipeX on Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
sovereign

Post by sovereign »

N/M, just caught your edit.