Sage 1 Maxamet: This goes to 11

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Soanso McMasters

Sage 1 Maxamet: This goes to 11

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I just received my Sage 1 in Maxamet. Love the feel of this knife and would love to see a return of a Sage 1 with Carbon Fiber and S30V or some other stainless steel. Can the kind folks at Spyderco please do so? ;)

And the perennial question: Force a patina or let it happen naturally?
adv23

Re: Sage 1 Maxamet: This goes to 11

Post by adv23 »

Just let it happen.

Make the Sage Max a compression lock and take my money!
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:51 pm
I just received my Sage 1 in Maxamet. Love the feel of this knife and would love to see a return of a Sage 1 with Carbon Fiber and S30V or some other stainless steel. Can the kind folks at Spyderco please do so? ;)

I did both, but for different steels.
I let Rex 45 form a patina naturally, took about 2-3 weeks of cooking board use. Went through a nice spectrum of colors, never even a sign of rust.

I forced it on M4 with white and cider vinegar, after rubbing the blade with a slice lemon. Mostly to protect the pivot area. Took a nice cloudy gray tint. It feels immune to most things now, but I'll probably redo it when I clean the knife in the spring.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Congrats on the sage. On my list too. I go natural when it comes to patina. In my experience, maxamet will patina fairly quickly w reg use. Cheers
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Not sure I've posted much about it, but I've got a Maxamet Sage 1 and really like it. It has the typical excellent Taichung fit and finish. The Sage is a great knife design. And the blade showcases Maxamet quite well. The blade stock is thin and mine is about .020" behind the edge. That's quite excellent straight from the manufacturer. The gray G10 is fine with me, but the Sage does beg for something a little more upscale.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
jdw

Post by jdw »

Mine quickly became one of my most carried knives. It is a beast of a slicer and I love the ergos. I have let a natural patina develop on mine but with regular maintenance I haven’t found it to be particularly prone to corrosion.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Soanso McMasters

ThomC wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:27 pm
Soanso McMasters wrote:

I let Rex 45 form a patina naturally, took about 2-3 weeks of cooking board use. Went through a nice spectrum of colors, never even a sign of rust.

I forced it on M4 with white and cider vinegar, after rubbing the blade with a slice lemon. Mostly to protect the pivot area. Took a nice cloudy gray tint. It feels immune to most things now, but I'll probably redo it when I clean the knife in the spring.
Those look great. Love the gray on the Para. So did you disassemble for the vinegar?
Soanso McMasters

Wandering_About wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:09 pm
Not sure I've posted much about it, but I've got a Maxamet Sage 1 and really like it. It has the typical excellent Taichung fit and finish. The Sage is a great knife design. And the blade showcases Maxamet quite well. The blade stock is thin and mine is about .020" behind the edge. That's quite excellent straight from the manufacturer. The gray G10 is fine with me, but the Sage does beg for something a little more upscale.
The high polish on the liners really pop. It’s a looker.
Soanso McMasters

jdw wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:22 pm
Mine quickly became one of my most carried knives. It is a beast of a slicer and I love the ergos. I have let a natural patina develop on mine but with regular maintenance I haven’t found it to be particularly prone to corrosion.
Larin has it rated with D2 in corrosion, and the handful of blades I have in D2 don’t seem to require babying either.
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

Another vote for the return of the Sage 1 in S30V. Not interested in Maxamet.
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

I love this knife! It's action and ergos are unparalleled! Congrats to Spyderco and the Taichung factory. It would've been cool with a tumbled blade finish, but the satin is nicely done. The liners are an unexpected positive addition, as well as the wire pocket clip. Don't be afraid of sharpening Maxamet. It's not unlike other steels, in that it responds if you take your time and go through the progressions. But, it's a monster in edge retention and sharpness when you put in the time!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I just took my Sage 1 Maxamet out to bring with me to work tomorrow. It's definitely a good one!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

As one who really appreciates a good linerlock as well as the overall Sage look and style and I am sure ergos... but does not need Maxamet or CF or G10: I'd really wish for a more affordable version of this knife.
S30V and FRN like the Sage 5 LW would be perfect, but G10 - if not a lot more expensive - just fine as well.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I love my Sage1 in Maxamet but I love my CF Sage1 in S30V even more. I wish they bring back the Sage1 in full peel ply CF and S90V or 20CV... maybe in a sprint run. I am tired of being concerned about rust in the pivot area.

P.S The ''lightweight'' Sage is not my cup of tea. It's not quite lightweight and that FRN pattern could be nicer.
Last edited by elena86 on Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:23 pm
ThomC wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:27 pm
Soanso McMasters wrote:

Those look great. Love the gray on the Para. So did you disassemble for the vinegar?
That's the Millie ! And yeah, I took it apart first. I got it secondhand and it had never been used or opened, but I always clean the knives I get that aren't new.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Soanso McMasters

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:59 am
As one who really appreciates a good linerlock as well as the overall Sage look and style and I am sure ergos... but does not need Maxamet or CF or G10: I'd really wish for a more affordable version of this knife.
S30V and FRN like the Sage 5 LW would be perfect, but G10 - if not a lot more expensive - just fine as well.
I bought it for the liner lock. I’d have gladly purchased in a different blade steel if they had other options. S30V, S35VN, S45VN, XHP, SPY27 (with cobalt blue G10!) all would have suited me fine.
Soanso McMasters

You know a joke didn’t land when you have to ask but did anyone get the Spinal Tap reference? My son and I have been joking about it since it arrived!
BearShark44

Post by BearShark44 »

jdw wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:22 pm
Photo of the patina? I wish the Sage max came in stonewash blade to patina easier. Curious how the satin finish ages / patinas? Looking like a tool steel worker?
Last edited by BearShark44 on Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
:bug-white-red :camping MT39P-15V, MT33P-Rex76; Sage1-Maxamet, Endela-K390, Delica4-M390, PM2-K390, PM2-S30v, Dragonfly2-SB, AmbitiousSE-8Cr13MoV; others TBD
gooeytek

Post by gooeytek »

My frankenSage hasn't patina'd yet, but I've only used it to cut packaging, rope/twine, and dowels.

HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

gooeytek wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:29 pm
My frankenSage hasn't patina'd yet, but I've only used it to cut packaging, rope/twine, and dowels.

That's beautiful. I bought a 2nd-hand PM2 Maxamet that already had great aging on it,including micro-pitting. It didn't show in the seller's pics, but the edge was dull. Initially the aging also bugged me, so I was bugged all the way around, but after I polished it with Puma Paste and then sharpened it, it is now possibly my favorite - not sure how to describe it, but I thoroughly enjoyed the sharpening process and it is now at least as sharp as any other knife I own.

As a result I had been looking for another Maxamet, and today ordered a Sage 1. I want to see how it ages out of the box. For now this is my favorite steel, but I haven't tested it enough yet.