Overall disappointed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curlyhairedboy

Re: Overall disappointed

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Can’t say I’ve seen a folder climb out of a pocket before, even with a loose clip.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the only spyderco knife i've had come out of my pocket when i didn't want it to us my dragonfly salt. not sure how you're getting them to climb out on their own.

i've done lots of running, playing sports, been tossed around by the ocean, etc. with a pacific salt in my waistband and never had any issues with it. i've done plenty of hiking with a variety of knives in my pocket with zero issues. in fact, the only issues i've ever had with knives like you are describing have been with my old edc, which was a sog flash 2. ironic since it has a deep carry clip and i lost it constantly on jackets, seatbelts, backpacks, etc.

as far as serrations go, i guess they aren't for everyone, but i love both types of edges. if i'm only carrying one knife, it will be serrated because i'd rather be prepared for emergencies than anything else and a spyderedge will get someone out of a seatbelt more reliably than plain edge. i care about that more than pretty, clean cuts.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Tools are not for all primates.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Very strange, I’ve never had a knife ride up and out of my pocket while doing normal things. Never even lost a smooth as glass knife like say a titanium on titanium clip and knife, let alone a spoon clip sitting on bi directional Frn. Something fishy is going on here, maybe Spyderco isn’t for you? Enjoy your Buck and kershaws, great knives as well.
Josh
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

My para 3 lightweight that I parted with would often get hung up on bushes and snagged from my pocket. That and other reasons led me away from that model. It was not for me. However, I still see it as a great design, and don't think twice if someone else loves it.

There was a time that I only wanted deep carry clips. I would replace the factory clips with deep carry aftermarket. I realized after use it wasn't as convenient to draw out of the pocket without a little handle sticking out to grab onto. The spoon clip on FRN is ideal for me. Easy to draw for frequent use, but still offers great retention. I feel it is just right.

My perspective has been that Spydercos are amazing users. Not overbuilt and bulky for frequent use. Light enough to use in a variety of situations and grips. And great ergonomics.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The entitled generation speaks! The post reads like “I can’t keep track of my gear and cannot figure out a secure method to carry my gear so it is someone else’s fault!”
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'll add my .02....I use the h@ll out of my PM2 for everything from biking to hiking, pruning trees to cutting food in the kitchen and I've found that the harder I use it the more I love it. This knife just doesn't quit...and it looks just as good as the day it came new from the factory. I guess to each their own, but I love mine!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

JRinFL wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:44 pm
The entitled generation speaks! The post reads like “I can’t keep track of my gear and cannot figure out a secure method to carry my gear so it is someone else’s fault!”
Amen.
Josh
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Oceansidepatrick wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:29 am

The only people I know who buy spydercos just keep them in sock drawers or a case or on top.of their dressers.
You have a friend in special forces and you climb in Joshua Tree?
You must be awesome.
I want to carry whatever knife you carry.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Sounds like you need a fixed blade in a belt sheath with a retention strap.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Never had one come out of my pocket and carried one to work for over 10 years as a agriculture officer working, climbing on oil rigs, big vessels and all over machinery. Carried PM2s, Para3s, Salts, Pacific salts, Delicas and a GB1. All on original clips. ( but do go clipless a bit every now and then. )
Has to be one of the easiest knives to open with wet and dirty hands ever made.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
paladin

Post by paladin »

Patrick, tell SpongeBob I said "Hi!" :zany
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:40 pm
My para 3 lightweight that I parted with would often get hung up on bushes and snagged from my pocket.

Perhaps a bit more likely to happen with a wire clip and a not too long knife like the Para 3 (and Chaparral, and other Spydies) is?

The ops Salt even has a spoon clip though...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Are you sure you were carrying the knives the right way?

Wrong:

Right:

:winking-tongue
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Matus

Post by Matus »

Sorry for your disappointment and loss, I can fully understand your frustration. Depending on the type of pants you wear when biking I can well imagine stuff coming out of pockets as one is pedaling. I have not been much of a biker in the past years, but back when I was young and had a future, I did and I did on occasion had stuff crawl out of a pocket (not THAT stuff :tonque-out )

And yes - the Spydiehole we tend to like so much is a possible issue if a key gets stuck in there or such. That did happen to me back when I had a Ladybug on my keys and the knife actually opened by accident when taking the keys out of my pocket. I will not wear a Spyderco on my keys again, but that does not make me dislike them. Yet - if Spyderco knives don't work for your, then just pick a different knives. There is a TON of great knives out there. I personally like the 'weirdness' of many of the Spyderco designs as well as the plethora of steels they offer and the only reason why I don't own many other knives is simple because I don't collect knives and try to keep the total number reasonable.

... yes there are quite a few collectors around here, but very most use at least part of their knives regularly. No need to try to offend people just because you got frustrated though ...

I wish you better luck with your next knife choice - whatever it may be.

Take care, Matus
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Bad luck - better luck next trip! Losing even small things is annoying. I picked up a lens cap on a walk in a nature reserve only yesterday. About a mile down the track I found a couple with cameras and bino’s, and the guy was so absolutely delighted to be reunited with this small disc of plastic, it briefly made me feel good about myself.

I keep my knives in my sock drawer and my socks in my knife drawer - it’s just a thing.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

This thread is an example of how nice the people are on this forum.
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

Speaking of losing things - I spent weeks looking for a bright orange Olight flashlight which I'd somehow misplaced. Then one day I parked in the snow outside the stables where my daughter goes riding and saw a soft orange glow through the dead leaves and ice. I picked at it, and found my flashlight, which must have dropped from my pocket weeks earlier. It had been run over about 1000 times so its anodised finish looked pretty shotgunned but it still worked. So that cheered me up on a miserable November day!
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I find it really unlucky, sorry for you.

As for my knives, i throw them at the numerous feral cats around my home. That's why I have to buy them often.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:02 am
I find it really unlucky, sorry for you.

As for my knives, i throw them at the numerous feral cats around my home. That's why I have to buy them often.

May I recommend

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... Large/1132
All SE all the time since 2017
~David