Knife that's like a comfortable pair of shoes?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
z1r

Re: Knife that's like a comfortable pair of shoes?

Post by z1r »

jstanfield103 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:50 am
I have the regular Manix 2 with G10 scales and liners. Love it, but never carried it that much. Carried the Efficient because it was cheaper and just felt good to use. But I found my perfect comfortable knife when I ordered a Manix 2 LW. It has not left my side since. I like that knife so much I have bought two more for Christmas gifts to my 2 Son In-Laws. Perfection
Comfort wise, in use, it is a wash between the G10 and LW. Though, to be fair, the G10 has a slightly better feel. But, for me, the G10 variants are just too heavy for EDC but the LW carries nicely.

Though I've never really thought about it much, since the Endela has become my #1 EDC, it must "fit" me the best.
DerRock

Post by DerRock »

Military is my favorite and most used knife. He's with me for about 10 years.

Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Paramilitary 2 feels the best for me. Delica 4 gets an honorable mention.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:41 am
Oddly enough, the Dodo is the one that offers me a firm handshake, then drags me around looking for things to cut.
i like that. good way to put it.
Wartstein wrote: Several that feel extremely comfortable to me, but the particular term "like a comfortable pair of shoes" fits best for the Stretch 1.

Feels very "locked in", but just a bit less than it is for example with the Manix 2 LW, but in return, well.. more comfy, somehow "softer", like really "worn in" (if knives were shoes and could actually wear in handle-wise).

This handle feel translates to the Stretch 1 being the most comfortable, least "hotspotty" Spydie I personally own when it comes to cutting really tough stuff, where one has to grip the handle really tight.

i've always loved the look and feel of the stretch, but i've never seen one in a steel that was compelling to me. if there was a stretch salt in lc200n, i'd be much more interested.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

The stretch might become my news favorite pair of snickers (I'll have to buy 2...). The ergos might just be perfect. There's a blade ramp but the hand position on the handle is further away, might be perfect !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Like others, stretch is that knife. It's kind of in the middle for me, if I didn't have other knifes this would be the only knife I ever carry.

Chief has become a close second, just need one to come in salted with green handles...
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:38 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Wartstein wrote: ......
i've always loved the look and feel of the stretch, but i've never seen one in a steel that was compelling to me. if there was a stretch salt in lc200n, i'd be much more interested.
You are more into stainless (like in very corrosion resistant) steels, right?
So HAP40 (Stretch 1), ZDP 189 (Stretch 1 and 2) or K390 (Stretch 2) are not the best options I guess?

Honestly, for me VG10 (Stretch 1 and 2) does not feel that different to LC200N in my use...seems to have even better edge retention and no corrosion issues. So perhaps the "basic" VG10 Stretch could be one to consider? (Though it still has liners, unlike the Seki Salts)

I could imagine that people who enjoy the Manix (like we both do (LW for me)) will often also like the Stretch.
Not too different in some regards, but different enough in others ;)
Especially the Stretch 1 has pretty much the same grip area behind the choil as the Manix, and also that nice (on larger handles!) "hook" on the handle end.

/ Concerning a Stretch Salt: I could imagine that we´ll see one eventually, but my guess is that in that size category the Endela Salt will come first.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Manix XL.

Not the first knife I tend to reach for each morning, the Pacific Salt and Yojumbo currently share that honor. But every time I use it I marvel at how perfectly the handle melts into my hand.

:unicorn
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

PM2. Every time I go back to it I question why I have other knives.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:40 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:
Wartstein wrote: ......
You are more into stainless (like in very corrosion resistant) steels, right?
So HAP40 (Stretch 1), ZDP 189 (Stretch 1 and 2) or K390 (Stretch 2) are not the best options I guess?

Honestly, for me VG10 (Stretch 1 and 2) does not feel that different to LC200N in my use...seems to have even better edge retention and no corrosion issues. So perhaps the "basic" VG10 Stretch could be one to consider? (Though it still has liners, unlike the Seki Salts)

I could imagine that people who enjoy the Manix (like we both do (LW for me)) will often also like the Stretch.
Not too different in some regards, but different enough in others ;)
Especially the Stretch 1 has pretty much the same grip area behind the choil as the Manix, and also that nice (on larger handles!) "hook" on the handle end.

/ Concerning a Stretch Salt: I could imagine that we´ll see one eventually, but my guess is that in that size category the Endela Salt will come first.
i much prefer the bump of the manix to the hook on the native, caribbean, stretch, etc. so much so, that i planned on shaving that hook off on my caribbean when i got it, but decided to just leave it after i got it in hand. for me, that issue has nothing to do with grip and everything to do with how the knife sits in my pocket, where it spend most of its time.

everyone says the manix is a pocket hog, but i've been trying to tell everyone for years that the way the handle narrows at the clip is perfect for pocket carry when you need to get around your knife to other items in your pocket. it's one of the most ingenious aspects of the design.

vg10 is fine, but it's just not exciting to me. i only own one vg10 knife and i only got it because it's damascus and it looks cool. for me to get another lw backlock knife, it has to be a steel i really like, a design i really like, or a salt. the stretch is almost there for me, but just not quite enough to push me over the edge when i have other models i know i prefer with locks and in steels i prefer, such as the manix 2 lw (mine is the xhp exclusive from knife center).
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Shaman/Superleaf, very similar and the Manix 2 LW or not. I think it’s the locks. The Comp lock in the humorless configuration and the CBBL just feel right to me.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
pngeezer

Post by pngeezer »

ImageI admit that I have not handled very many Spydercos but I recently got a Sage 5 LW and I freakin' love this thing! It's ergos fit me great and it is razor sharp and very fun to play with too.
:bug-red Native 5 LW Spy27, Cat, Delica, Sage 5LW S30V :bug-red-white
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

For me, the old Stretch, the Caribbean, the Delica, and the Endela are like the old shoes. I haven’t handled the newer Stretch, though from photos I think I’d like it in a similar way.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:55 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:40 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
i much prefer the bump of the manix to the hook on the native, caribbean, stretch, etc. so much so, that i planned on shaving that hook off on my caribbean when i got it, but decided to just leave it after i got it in hand. for me, that issue has nothing to do with grip and everything to do with how the knife sits in my pocket, where it spend most of its time.

everyone says the manix is a pocket hog, but i've been trying to tell everyone for years that the way the handle narrows at the clip is perfect for pocket carry when you need to get around your knife to other items in your pocket. it's one of the most ingenious aspects of the design.

vg10 is fine, but it's just not exciting to me. i only own one vg10 knife and i only got it because it's damascus and it looks cool. for me to get another lw backlock knife, it has to be a steel i really like, a design i really like, or a salt. the stretch is almost there for me, but just not quite enough to push me over the edge when i have other models i know i prefer with locks and in steels i prefer, such as the manix 2 lw (mine is the xhp exclusive from knife center).
- 100% agreed on the carry!
The Manix 2 LW carries extremely well, and I am pretty sure you made me aware of that one reason for that is the shape of the handle end.

Additional reasons for me are that it is a rather short closed package and luckily (for my taste) has NOT a deep carry clip, which makes it feel like an even shorter knife in pocket.
And, what I found: The combination of a bit wider profile but very light weight for that make the Manix 2 LW extremely "stable" ("unfloppy"), especially in looser pockets made of lighter garment (crude analogy, but if one imagines two balls of the exact same weight, but one has 1" in diameter and the other 10", the latter will bounce around less when one puts each ball in a bag and shakes the bag around a bit. A bit like this it is with knives in pocket too imho - though of course not the same, cause factors like pocket clips and so on come into play).

- I know your Manix 2 LW from some pics :smlling-eyes - I totally love my REX 45 LW, and this is true also for the looks/color, but honestly your version is the only one I´d even prefer over mine, at least concerning the looks, with its brown scales!

- As you said: In hand the "hook" of the Stretch 1 feels really similar to the "bump" on the Manix 2 LW, at least concerning the side where the pinky sits (see comparison below (for folks/lurkers not familiar with the models: Black = Stretch 1, orange = Manix 2 LW))
Never looked at it that way, but you are right! Though the Stretch overall is a slimmer/narrower closed package, at the handle end (so where the hand starts to be "guided" around the handle when reaching in the pocket and passing by the knife) it is the Manix that is narrower!
Though the Stretch 1 is not bad in that regard too: Much narrower at the handle end than a Caribbean, also more curved and by that closer to the Manix

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
benben

Post by benben »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:06 pm
Here is an old shoe in my pocket today . MG2
I've got a BNIB Chinook 3 I've never once carried, may need to give it a try?
benben

Post by benben »

My old dingy yellow Pacific Salt SE is as comfortable an old knife as it gets for me!
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Manix LW for me. Unfortunately it was the first Spyderco I bought, so it makes buying new knives less fun when I always end up carrying my oldest one again in the end :winking-tongue
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

I find the Native 5 LW the perfect fit for my hands and cutting tasks. I like the textured handles for a secure grip too. Salt 2 would be next in line for balance and grip while using the knife.

Caribbean and Para 3 for honorable mention for handle comfort while in use.

I think I would like the Military a lot, I just don’t carry it enough…
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The PM2 (among 65 or so other Spydie models I still readily enjoy) has become the one with most everything I want and nothing I don’t.

I speak here of the standard blade.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Shaman
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal