Describe the upsides and downsides of your favorite knife in a single statement.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Describe the upsides and downsides of your favorite knife in a single statement.

Post by JD Spydo »

My current EDC: The 2011 Sprint Run, C-60 Ayoob model.

To me the knife is a superb, super functional design>> a newer/better blade steel would enhance that great model. No negative issues at all.
Abyss_Fish

Re: Describe the upsides and downsides of your favorite knife in a single statement.

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Watu:
Slim, comfortable, drops free, and cuts like a dream. The blade tip will shatter if you look at it the wrong way.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

S90v Fluted CF Native 5

It's a high end gentlemans/utility knife, made with the best materials you can get.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:00 pm
Watu:
Slim, comfortable, drops free, and cuts like a dream. The blade tip will shatter if you look at it the wrong way.
Also it looks like Sal asked a 5 year old to draw a knife then designed the Watu based on that :rofl
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:33 am
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:00 pm
Watu:
Also it looks like Sal asked a 5 year old to draw a knife then designed the Watu based on that :rofl
It's part of the ethnic series & based on an African design, much used by the Chokwe people of Central and Southern Africa (you probably already know ;) ) and people say it's very practical, as well as being a thin, light carry. I would have tried one if they weren't so darned expensive... but it would be an attention getter (which I wouldn't like).
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Endura 4: Thin, just long enough high performance blade, light, and my favorite locktype - but knife a tad long in the pocket.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Caribbean leaf:
Big blade, right to the handle,
Untroubled by rust
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

Native Chief Upside - It's big Downside - It's big. Otherwise it's great.
z1r

Post by z1r »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:16 pm
Endura K390, reground - best functional knife I own, but a little boring sometimes.
This is exacly how I feel about my K390 Endela.
z1r

Post by z1r »

dkelley661 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:48 pm
I'm currently favoring a DLC M4 Chief mainly due to the blade but I alway feel trepidation when using while in company of others.
The Chief is such an awesome knife, just too big for me. I envy those that can carry them, especially in the configuartion of yours!

Everytime I see one, I want to buy it, then remember, I can't carry it!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Watu is a superb daily carry and an awesome slicer but it sports the wrong lock.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

elena86 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:47 am
Watu is a superb daily carry and an awesome slicer but it sports the wrong lock.
I was carrying mine the past couple days and actually thought the same thing. The blade is too light for the compression lock.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
elena86

Post by elena86 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:50 am
elena86 wrote:
I was carrying mine the past couple days and actually thought the same thing. The blade is too light for the compression lock.

Yep...it's almost destined to sport a liner lock or even better... a frame lock.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

The Para 3 G10 models have excellent ergonomics, though I would like a slightly smaller version still yet, with better pocket clip placement for deeper carry. In fact, I would take a smaller version of many knives in the lineup. Kapara at 3 inch or less, Watu at around 2.75 in, mini Spydiechef, mini Sage, etc.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

lilshaver wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:00 am
Native Chief Upside - It's big Downside - It's big. Otherwise it's great.
Could not help but see
minus one apostrophe
it's a great haiku:

Native Chief Upside -
It's big Downside - It is big.
Otherwise it's great.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:00 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:50 am
elena86 wrote:

Yep...it's almost destined to sport a liner lock or even better... a frame lock.
This.

It really should have been a true "Lil Chokwe" for me.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
James Y

Post by James Y »

Hard question, because I don't know if I have one favorite Spyderco.

The closest is my G10 DLC Manix 2.

Pros: Great ergos, built like a tank, CBBL is rock-solid, carries easily, comfy in use.

Cons: Only possible con for me is if the coil spring is vulnerable to getting gunked up. Hasn't happened to mine yet, though.

Jim
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

Manix 2 LW, Knife Joker Exclusive.
Great steel, awesome color, but if something happens to it it’ll be harder to replace.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Fluted Ti Native,
it is pretty much perfect,
heavy in summer.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

XHP Shaman - It's a lot of knife.