Urban size discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Urban size discussion

Post by Doc Dan »

Here's what I think. If the Metropolitan is going to use the SPYDK handle I am for it being 2.75" and the Urban remaining at 2.5". I like the feel of the SPY-DK.

The new blade on the 2.5" Urban is shaped all wrong. It is odd looking. The point to too upswept or something. The point on the K390 was perfect. So, if you keep the 2.5" blade on the Urban, then fix the profile just a little. Then, if the Metro is as nice as the K390 Urban, I'll be a happy camper.

I said all of that to say, look at the K390 Urban LW. It was a perfect pocket knife. I love everything about it (except my wife can't use it because the spring is too hard, but I can give her a UKPK). If the Metro is like that knife, I'll be ecstatic.

If you don't make the Metro, then please go back to the 2.61" Urban with the K390 profile.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Doc,

That is my current plan. (which was the original plan). Change the shape of the blade on the 2.5" Urban (Lower the point) Use the same shape on the Metro, then add drop point and Warncliffe blades.

Then can talk about steels and colors.

The Slipit was my baby from the beginning and most thought I was nuts, (not that I'm not), but I saw the need and it has served many to date. The UK family will be the UK (3.0", Metropolitan (2.75"), Urban (2.5"), Squeek (2.0", and maybe a larger version in the future (3.5 for which I already have a prototype, and a possible 4.0").

But at this time, I think the "family" deserves to see more blade shapes, colors and steel types as I feel the world Slipit market is growing.

sal
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

**Updated 3 November 21**

So far our polling (see above) out of 35 votes has been…
80% preference for the shorter Urban AND a new Metropolitan
15% preference for the longer Urban and NO Metropolitan
4% preference for the shorter Urban and no Metropolitan
Last edited by ChrisinHove on Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
archangel

Post by archangel »

sal wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:02 am
Hi Doc,

That is my current plan. (which was the original plan). Change the shape of the blade on the 2.5" Urban (Lower the point) Use the same shape on the Metro, then add drop point and Warncliffe blades.

The Slipit was my baby from the beginning and most thought I was nuts, (not that I'm not), but I saw the need and it has served many to date. The UK family will be the UK (3.0", Metropolitan (2.75"), Urban (2.5"), Squeek (2.0", and maybe a larger version in the future (3.5 for which I already have a prototype, and a possible 4.0").

But at this time, I think the "family" deserves to see more blade shapes, colors and steel types as I feel the world Slipit market is growing.

sal

Oh yeah, and please go for the 4" as well!! :grin-big eyes

Thank you Sal!
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal wrote:
Hi Doc,

sal

I am ok with a 2.75 Metro as long as it keeps the K390 Urban blade shape and is ground very thin behind the edge. The wharnie variant will be very interesting. Denim blue FRN would be nice also ...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Great question Sal.

My view is that there isn't sufficient differentiation between the Metro and the UKPK/Urban models respectively to justify its inclusion. Without the Metro in the line-up there is then no need to artificially shorten the blade length on the Urban to ensure it doesn't compete with that model.

More broadly, if you're keen to expand the line-up, could you ever conceive of a choil-less Slipit? I've tried to love the UKPK since it first came out but I just can't get on with the way the choil forces my hand into a particular grip. However the slipjoint mechanism engenders such confidence that I would be more than happy using one without a choil - and most Brits grew up using SAKs so we're well used to the risks! Anyway a modern take on the old fashioned sailor's knives (eg with a modified sheepsfoot shape like the Salt 2) would be very functional and the blade shape wouldn't encourage the type of stabbing action that is most likely to cause the blade to fold.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Hi Doc,

sal
We were trying not to say anything. Hahaha! Just kidding.

I appreciate what you had to say. The K390 blade shape was just right and the overall knife was splendid. I think that knife spoiled us as to what the Urban could be and was. Happy accident. Also, the SPY-DK is a really nice knife and the handle is very Urbanesque. I like it. So, I, for one, would be quite happy if another model had all of the lovable attributes of the K390 Urban.

That 3.5" is intriguing, too. What will it be like? Will it be a larger SPY-DK/Urban, or do you have another design in mind?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Need a Pingo reboot in this discussion
Nate

Post by Nate »

Selfishly, I already have plenty of 2.6” Urbans, so I like the idea of moving it to 2.5 and introducing the Metro. Agree with the current shorter blade profile looking a bit off. Tip too high, shape too “chubby” like the Squeak vs. the leaf UKPK…*

Would also still love to see the Metropolitan rolled out in an interesting sprint/exclusive steel and color combo to start with rather than with a plain vanilla black/n690, etc, though I’d probably still be in for one regardless.

*eta, my impressions of the shortened Urban blade are based on pics of the s90v exclusive. Not sure if the new s30v one is really any different or if it’s just growing on me, but I might have to pick one of those up and see for myself.
Last edited by Nate on Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder:
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I think one of the main reasons that we were all upset at the change was that the K390 was just so right. We were spoiled and it got us hooked. Then, the QC issues began on later models and after that they shortened the blade and changed the profile. It sort of left us with the wind out of our sails. Many were hoping for more Sprint Runs in the K390 pattern and that just suddenly went away as a possibility.

However, now Sal is talking a Metropolitan, again, after a long hiatus. That gives hope. Will it be a Maniago knife? If so, they need a kick in the butt on the F&F. A move to Taichung or Japan or Golden would be a good thing to think about. No issues with any of those. If it is Maniago, fit and finish will make or break the new model...and fixing the pivot.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Sal Glesser, I appreciate your listening to us, even if what we want is not feasible. Thank you.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I just want to put the idea out of a version of the lambsfoot blade shape. I'd love to see Spyderco's take on the classic English lambsfoot.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

Im a brit expat Sal, i much prefer the 2.61" as per the k390 version over the 2.5 - i have both, its still far enough away from the ukpk to be viable - the 2.5 just looks and feels squashed

id happily take a 2.75 over the 2.61 and i will never buy a 2.5 again - the wife now has it
but i would also buy a ukpk along with a 2.75 - maybe because ive big hands ?!

i would love the top of the blade to be flat, similar to the para line, ive considered grinding mine, asthetically AND slighly slimmer carry
cheers
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
Matus

Post by Matus »

I must admit when thinking about the latest S90V version - it is indeed more the proportions of the blade then the length of the cutting edge that kept me from getting one. If the blade length should be kept at 2.5", then the blade needs a little reshaping (less height and less belly)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I would love to see some more comp locks or premium liner locks in this size range as I love sub 3 inch blades. I have a chicago and cat and both have great small knife ergonomics but I’d gladly pay twice the price for better steel and better actions.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I hope Sal got the feedback from the European members that he needed. I look forward to future designs.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:20 am
I just want to put the idea out of a version of the lambsfoot blade shape. I'd love to see Spyderco's take on the classic English lambsfoot.
I would love this, particularly in the slightly roomier Metropolitan handle.

Maniago still need to up their game, though. Although the finish & grind on the HH LW’s is better, I am seeing evidence of wide variation in spring strength/pull.

I’m not sure that customers buying multiples of a product in the expectation of having to return at least one is what you want.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

K390 & AEBL blades were pretty much OK.

Reading between the lines seems to me that Spydeco made this shorter at 2.5" with rounded belly and high tip just to make place for a metropolitan at 2.75".

As for the Maniago quality I'm pretty sure Spyderco gets the level of fit and finish they are paying for as per Service Level Agreement.

If they are able to make solid titanium handles at good quality they are able to align some scales and the back of the
blade with the spring and so on, if they don't bother and Spyderco doesn't notice this is probably because if fits in that SLA.

I'd pretty much prefer Urban at 2.61" as it was before but with a better fit and finish.

But since Spyderco wants to introduce the new model this is more like an informative topic and the only concession they will make for the 2.5" Urban is lowering the tip.
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Not Brit at all but being European we face some difficulties related to edged tools restrictions. I do like where this discussion heads and would like to thank you for listening to all of us. If more Slipit knives are on the way and Urban is ahead of some CQI (blade shape correction, spinning pivot...) then I am really excited.

Urban is one of my most carried and used knives ever, I have K390 (wish this one was regular run in current K390 lineup) and AEB-L. Love both of them and need to buy basic model as well. In case more colours and variations are considered, then :party-face

Lenght on new model would not bother me but that weird blade shape is keeping me away from buying it for now. Probably will buy it though and will see if I love or hate it :discguised .
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:03 pm
I think one of the main reasons that we were all upset at the change was that the K390 was just so right. We were spoiled and it got us hooked. Then, the QC issues began on later models and after that they shortened the blade and changed the profile. It sort of left us with the wind out of our sails. Many were hoping for more Sprint Runs in the K390 pattern and that just suddenly went away as a possibility.

However, now Sal is talking a Metropolitan, again, after a long hiatus. That gives hope. Will it be a Maniago knife? If so, they need a kick in the butt on the F&F. A move to Taichung or Japan or Golden would be a good thing to think about. No issues with any of those. If it is Maniago, fit and finish will make or break the new model...and fixing the pivot.

So, now we are waiting for the Metro. I wonder how long....
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red