Describe the upsides and downsides of your favorite knife in a single statement.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
metaphoricalsimile

Re: Describe the upsides and downsides of your favorite knife in a single statement.

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Pokey wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:29 pm
Ok, now do it in knife Haiku

Five syllables in the first line
Seven syllables in the second line
Five syllables in the third line

;)
Para 3 Lightweight
flash, off-center blade, lock stick
Perfect EDC
twinboysdad

Re: Describe the upsides and downsides of your favorite knife in a single statement.

Post by twinboysdad »

Dragonfly Wharncliffe, elegant yet utilitarian- never a reason to not carry and capable of generally anything a folding life should be asked to do
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Endura K390, reground - best functional knife I own, but a little boring sometimes.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Manix 2 Maxamet - Love the steel, very comfortable handle, very lightweight yet solid with my favorite lock. Big downside = unable to disassemble or even remove the blade in case of rust buildup.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Can I make it two knives? Since they are both technically the same knife, only differing in scale material/slight ergonomics...

Para 3 LW - Corrected almost all the flaws in the G10, great comfortable contoured ergonomics and proper clip position, yet extreme centering issues; Para 3 G10 - Perfect size for me, yet terrible clip placement and rough chamfering on the newer exclusives, need aftermarket redesigned scales to be perfectly comfortable.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

Tuff: Great in every way except that there’s no left handed model. The DLT exclusive is my favorite knife.
PocketShredder

Post by PocketShredder »

Stretch 2: I prefer its deeper choil over that of the original Stretch, but it lacks the distinct "locked-in" feeling of the original's handle.
Image:bug-red-white
"All God's critters have knives."
razehound

Post by razehound »

Spydiechef:

Rustproof framelock with a great action, hindered by it's passive blade profile.
-razehound :spyder: Spydiechef, Paramilitary 2, Para 3 LW, Salt 2 SE, Spydiechef, Para 3 LW

I'd rather get caught with it than without it...
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Kapara - Wonderful action, fits great in the pocket and a really useful blade shape but the compression lock is difficult to engage while maintaining a sturdy grip
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

T.J. wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:46 pm
Tuff: Great in every way except that there’s no left handed model. The DLT exclusive is my favorite knife.
I've always been a little grumped up about that, to the extent that I've never bought one. It's one of the very, very few Spydies that can't be easily closed one-handed with the left hand. However I did buy Schempp's carbon fiber Balance. It's also an obligate rightie, but it's so cute & well designed I couldn't resist... and it can be leftie-one-handed closed if you unlock it with your thumbnail and push it against your leg, or you can just switch hands :winking-tongue.

My haiku:

Manix 2 G-10
Best lock and ergonomics
File off liner jimps
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

m2lw: most perfect knife design ever, except for pins
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

My the upside is favorite folding knife is always a Spyderco (with FFG) the downside is deciding which of my Spydercos I want to carry that day as they all have strengths and a lot to love about each of them.

In general, while I am becoming more enamored of the M4 Arctic PM2 the Enduras and flippers as just so good I cannot say I like them any less or more.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
Matus

Post by Matus »

pm2 k390: My wife likes it too ...
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

The Brouwer* is an ergonomic and aesthetic masterpiece, but that pocket clip.....

*idk that I can actually commit to calling the Brouwer my "favorite" Spyderco, but it is up there for me and this was the first thought that popped into my head while reading through this thread haha..
:zany
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
RustyIron

In haiku

Post by RustyIron »

Blinding glint of steel.
Lightning fast, flick it open.
Ouch, cut my finger.

z1r

Post by z1r »

Albertaboyscott wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:26 pm
Manix2 g10 rex45. Upside- Great ergos, rock solid and excellent steel.
Downside- I only bought two
Lol. I love mine, except that it is heavier than I care for on most days and does require a fair amount of pocket space.

My Favorite, the K390 Endela. Great blade, legal length, handle fits my hand nicely, disappears in pocket til you need it. Only downside if you care about such things, it is not flashy, just utterly dependable. Like it so much, I bought a spare and hope to find another at the Seconds sale.
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

Chaparral: Amazing all-arounder, but needs a plain G10 option (not Sun & Moon)
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

z1r wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:13 pm
Albertaboyscott wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:26 pm
Manix2 g10 rex45. Upside- Great ergos, rock solid and excellent steel.
Downside- I only bought two
Lol. I love mine, except that it is heavier than I care for on most days and does require a fair amount of pocket space.

My Favorite, the K390 Endela. Great blade, legal length, handle fits my hand nicely, disappears in pocket til you need it. Only downside if you care about such things, it is not flashy, just utterly dependable. Like it so much, I bought a spare and hope to find another at the Seconds sale.
I like my endela a lot too but prefer g10 models. I've been carrying a manix xl, benchmade adamas, and cold steel ad10 the last few weeks and never notice the weight. I'm a tradesman so usually have tools hanging off belts etc so no big deal to add a bit more. I'm not even sure about legal length restrictions. I'm 50 and it's never come up. I guess if it did I could say it's for work. Cheers
dkelley661

Post by dkelley661 »

I'm currently favoring a DLC M4 Chief mainly due to the blade but I alway feel trepidation when using while in company of others.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Accutron wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:52 pm
Naperville wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:13 pm
My favorite Spyderco folder is the Native Chief, and I'd like it to open when I draw it from my pocket.

I contacted 5X5 Combat Solutions and they said that they would start working on an opening system for that knife next!!! :party-face

I'll buy at least 2 maybe 4 of those opening systems.
That's very interesting news.
Should be the best "waved" knife available.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/