Which knife to get as a gift

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Netherend

Which knife to get as a gift

Post by Netherend »

The holiday season is coming around the corner and I would like advice on which knife to get my brother in law. There are so many great options. I welcome suggestions.

A little back story-
my brother in law is the person who originally turned me into a spyderco fan. Years ago he bought (H1) pacific and Atlantic salts for the whole family. He was an off shore diver and swore by spyderco salts . He mused about how he watched rookie’s destroy their knives out in the gulf . He once said “spyderco makes real work knives” He currently has a desk job but still uses his h1 pacific salt

When I saw him this summer I was excited to show him some of my collection of spyderco knives. I showed him my pm2, para 3, my native salt and Manix lw. He was in awe at the different locks handle materials and styles. He did not know about spyderco knives beyond the seki salts. I recently picked up a para 3 (g10)for my father in law for Father’s Day and he (my brother in law) asked me if I could pick up a knife for him for a future holiday/birthday. The question is; which knife?
Just one more knife...
VooDooChild

Re: Which knife to get as a gift

Post by VooDooChild »

Military
Pm2
Shaman
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Price and availability are key to the answer
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

I am looking to keep the spending under $200
Just one more knife...
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

I'd go Native Salt in LC200N. Lots of flexibility in terms of the use cases and the Salt would be a nice nod to his past history of diving.
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Kapara
So it goes.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

How will the gift most likely be used?
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
airborne91

Post by airborne91 »

I like the thin blue and red line knives. Its a double win. Cool knife and a donation to a good cause.
I got one for a buddy that is a retired police officer.
LS
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:06 pm
How will the gift most likely be used?
I'd factor this, as well as size of the knife, and which lock type seemed to peak his interest from yours that you showed him. If you can't narrow it down a bit, this thread is going to turn into a mess with 30+ suggestions!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

DansGearAddiction wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:16 pm
I'd go Native Salt in LC200N. Lots of flexibility in terms of the use cases and the Salt would be a nice nod to his past history of diving.
If you don't go with DansGearAddiction's excellent suggestion, a more general one that'd make a great gift is a Dragonfly 2 IMO. Not that you don't know any of the following, but: they're extremely useful in a well rounded way. Very well designed in both handle and blade for actual use, rugged and light, and they're neither too big for handling most people's normal daily tasks (even the para 3 is gigantic, weapon-looking overkill in that regard) nor too small to be of real and versatile utility. Lots of choices in colors and steels as well. And relatively cheap, without being cheap! Plus one of the best names among all of spyderco's knives.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

bleasure wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:18 pm
DansGearAddiction wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:16 pm
If you don't go with DansGearAddiction's excellent suggestion, a more general one that'd make a great gift is a Dragonfly 2 IMO. Not that you don't know any of the following, but: they're extremely useful in a well rounded way. Very well designed in both handle and blade for actual use, rugged and light, and they're neither too big for handling most people's normal daily tasks (even the para 3 is gigantic, weapon-looking overkill in that regard) nor too small to be of real and versatile utility. Lots of choices in colors and steels as well. And relatively cheap, without being cheap! Plus one of the best names among all of spyderco's knives.
If he has a desk job, this would be a great choice, especially the KnifeCenter Pakkawood scales exclusive!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Para 3
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:20 pm
If he has a desk job, this would be a great choice, especially the KnifeCenter Pakkawood scales exclusive!
yeah!!! i forgot about that one, it's so nice. i'd be more bummed i missed out on it by not pulling the trigger when I could have, but having a glow in the dark DF2 around halloween has made me the coolest person at every party. that said, i would LOVE to see other wood / materials along those lines
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

To have a starting point I have to speculate since we don t know which size / use scenario...

You say he still has and uses his Pac Salt and was only aware of Seki knives so far? Might be good if he tried something different in size, lock, handle material, country of origin?
So smaller, not a backlock, not Seki made?

This would actually point towards Para 3, or what I'd prefer Sage 5 (in CF for him?)?
Watu would be another great choice.
And I don't think one can' go wrong with a Manix (for him one of the G10 variants?) though some might say it is not that much smaller than a Pac Salt .
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Native Salt, if you can find one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Spydiechef
Pm2
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i think he would probably enjoy a caribbean. i'm making a lot of assumptions based on your story... if he bought pacific and atlantic salts, he's not worried about a knife being too big. if he loves the seki salts, he would probably love to stick with similar properties, but may enjoy something that is still capable that happens to also feature a different lock and better fit and finish. the caribbean has the same lock as the para 3 he seems to have liked in your story.

caribbean is the obvious choice in my mind, but the spydiechef might be cool too, since it's also a nicer salt knife. the spydiechef is going to cost more than you wanted to spend though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

As other said, that depends on the use the knife is gonna get, and the size that would be the most appropriate for it.
Since he was a diver, i'll speculate that he still likes to go around water a lot, and then the suggestion of the Golden made Native 5 Salt in LC200N is very good ! Ok it's still a backlock, but this backlock has nothing to do with the others, the Native's backlock comes from so many years of research, it's perfect.

To go towards other locks that still are IMHO safe to carry, the CBBL on the Manix 2 is pretty cool.
Though, for office carry and testing a new lock, the lil' native compression lock might be interesting too.

EDIT: The Carribean proposed by ladybug93 is very good ! That would join the native 5 proposition, but with a new lock.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Endless suggestions on this, depends on what direction you wanna go. Do you think he'd be better off with an office/gent's knife or something he's more familiar with? There are other Salt models now that are similar enough to what he's had but maybe more fancy, like a Spydiechef for example is a Salt model but being titanium it's nicer looking and feeling than yellow FRN. You should also think about size and laws and what he might get in trouble for carrying and what may be too big for his desk job. If he's still carrying his Pacific in the office then it's probably a non issue.

So, lots to consider. Seems like he could be happy with anything from a Military to something fancier like an Air or One Eyed Jack. My first thought was to get him something higher end than he's had since you said he's only familiar with Seki/Salt models, something from Golden with a premium steel. Speaking of steel, also consider what his sharpening abilities are? Is he going to be ok with Maxamet for example?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tap78

Post by tap78 »

Spyderco Caribbean
My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear