Sal - YOU are not listening to us

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Perhaps_OCD?

Re: Sal - YOU are not listening to us

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

Jared wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:54 pm
Perhaps_OCD? wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:39 pm
Naperville wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:14 am
Matus wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:13 am
The second most overstated thing by most men is how long it takes to open a pocket knife that is not in their preferred configuration ...
When you're being assaulted every millisecond counts.

I think in one of Michael Janich's DVDs he covers tip-up carry, and having studied a little of Escrima and Arnis, I'll always carry a fixed blade or tip-up.
There’s also a retention aspect I believe as well. I want as much of my hand on my gun when I draw it and same with my knife. I could be doing something wrong, but I feel like I have to reposition the knife a lot more when it’s tip down. Doesn’t matter sitting at my desk opening an Amazon package, but (as I’m sure you know based on your posts) under stress fine motor skills go to ****, the less repositioning required the better.

This is something my Force Recon best buddy has drilled into my head. I don’t use slide releases anymore after he explained this as the reason they, Seals, and Delta unanimously do not.

There’s also the whole crossover you touched on between pulling a knife from a sheath and pulling a knife tip up. The handle is in the same position, and opened the blade will be too.
If you have no fine motor skills under stress, how do you expect to isolate the trigger finger from the other fingers on your hand when needing to shoot? That is most certainly a fine motor skill, and squeezing all fingers sympathetically is a known cause of lousy accuracy when firing a handgun
It’s about reducing the need for fine motor skills, it was never claimed none were required. The logic is under stress muscle memory is important, more simple movements are easier to learn to do correctly every time. Why add a slide stop to the mix when racking the slide fast as possible is something you already need to have down pat to clear a jam. Trigger pull is incredibly important there’s no argument with that.
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

dkelley661 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:27 pm
I have yet had the need to pull a gun or even "god forbid" pull my knife out in a time of stress, but my wallet is another story. I raised three daughters and have one heck of a hot wife, so my experience luckily has been how I carried my wallet. I found fold up back pocket was the most useful position while retrieving under stressful circumstances.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH! That’s ******* awesome! Congrats on the beautiful family BTW. Lucky man.
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

dkelley661 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:27 pm
I have yet had the need to pull a gun or even "god forbid" pull my knife out in a time of stress, but my wallet is another story. I raised three daughters and have one heck of a hot wife, so my experience luckily has been how I carried my wallet. I found fold up back pocket was the most useful position while retrieving under stressful circumstances.
I like a fold down myself :zany
Last edited by rwasham on Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

Edited for Error
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

Got my first para 2 and I actually prefer it tip down. It feels really good, and i feel secure with that configuration. I’m with Eric on this one.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

*yawn* TLDR

olywa

Post by olywa »

Time for this thread to die...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

olywa wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:35 am
Time for this thread to die...
Exactly!*

* Yes my post contributed, sorry.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Perhaps_OCD? wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:25 pm
This is PM2 number 20 for my collection.
If you only got it to collect, then why change the clip to begin with? Doesn't make any sense.

I think you have to be crazy to think Sal doesn't listen to customers. He's the most interactive business owner I've ever seen and he's constantly talking to customers on the forums.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I’ve been carrying my new blacked out PM2 tip down and honestly like it. I’ve always converted my others to tip up but I’m going to leave it as is for now.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I’m disappointed that this thread made it to 8 pages. Shoot, I’m disappointed that it made it off page one.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:15 am
I’m disappointed that this thread made it to 8 pages. Shoot, I’m disappointed that it made it off page one.
I guess we haven't had a mentally challenged troll to rip on in a while.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

This is a train wreck of a thread. This reeks of an instagram/facebook user looking for likes of their pictures they post.
Complaining about a factory installed clip position when you have 4 options is just ludicrous.
Complaining about the slightest imperfection in a copper scale that will disappear with 2 month of use is also ludicrous.
Quit safe queening your knives and start using them.
As South Park said about the Book of Mormon....dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

Superflex wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:00 am
This is a train wreck of a thread. This reeks of an instagram/facebook user looking for likes of their pictures they post.
Complaining about a factory installed clip position when you have 4 options is just ludicrous.
Complaining about the slightest imperfection in a copper scale that will disappear with 2 month of use is also ludicrous.
Quit safe queening your knives and start using them.
As South Park said about the Book of Mormon....dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb
This may come as a surprise….. but a lot of Spydercos ARE collectible. Have you heard of the limited runs called “Sprints”. There’s also a vendor specific kind called “Exclusives”.

I buy 2-3 knives a month, mostly Spydercos. Should I stop collecting and just use handful? Would that make me a better customer? Oh wait… that logic doesn’t check out.

I use all my knives, but there’s a lot to spread the use around on.
sal

Post by sal »

Just because we do not do what everyone asks us to do does not mean I'm not listening.

sal
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

👍 sal drops the mike!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:06 am
Just because we do not do what everyone asks us to do does not mean I'm not listening.

sal

Really big difference between "listening" and "obeying". Customer says jump, Spyderco says what steel? That's how it works right?

😉
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Here’s my hot take, I’d prefer it if the 4 way clip became a 2 way clip. As in right / left tip up only.
I carry everything but the military tip up and really dislike the screw holes over the pivot area.
They become a dust trap and looks very aesthetically unpleasant to the point of ruining some of the nicer models.

Imo ymmv kthxbye
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

w3tnz wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:48 am

Imo ymmv kthxbye

Too late your opinion differs from mine so we will now exchange in huge wall-of-text posts quoting each other and picking apart each other's arguments in a downward spiral of no less than 3 pages of posts. In the end we will agree to disagree when one of us loses interest and stops trying to force the other to change their opinion.

Ready set go.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David