Why are so many people concerned with perfect blade centering?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderGrill

Re: Why are so many people concerned with perfect blade centering?

Post by SpyderGrill »

If there was a torque sequence like bolting down a head on an engine to get the blade centered, maybe the knife maker should supply that.

Is every knife a mystery how its centered depending on the parts going together?

Ive got a Bechmade 940 perfectly centered, but action is not great
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I have a Serrata that came out of the mold slightly bent, and lots of grinding the blade made the blade look straight on the spine, but off centre at the edge nearest the ricasso. the thickness is around 3mm, versus 5mm of the "normal" ones...

I called it "Rhomboid"...

It is mine, and the slight tilt of the edge towards my left hand is not obvious in use, as it cuts just it should...

Off centre is not always an issue for me, if it cuts in a fashion that I cannot discern the "fault"...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:46 am

Well... true at this point...;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:46 am

People are giving an insight to what they appreciate, and what not, from both Spyderco and other factories.

All that can be summed up is that "glitches" that come as a result of uneven factory process are not looked at with happiness.

Folding knives are a very delicate product to machine, and thus issues stated in this thread can happen unless you have a very automated process (not sure how this applies in this industry, due to a number of hand made parts).
6inline

Post by 6inline »

Bill1170 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:34 pm
...matter separators second, it stands to reason that aesthetics will hold higher importance for those customers.
I laughed at your "matter separators" term. Very cool ;)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

6inline wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:09 pm
Bill1170 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:34 pm
...matter separators second, it stands to reason that aesthetics will hold higher importance for those customers.
I laughed at your "matter separators" term. Very cool ;)
It’s a good term, and not original to me. I think it comes from Sal Glesser, co-founder of Spyderco.
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

I think that a perfectly centered blade shows that the manufacturer took the time to build the knife with precision and an emphasis on quality. Sometimes, actually most times, it’s the little details that count. That being said, it’s not the end of the world for me if the blade is slightly off center, although it becomes a bigger deal to me the more I spend. Just my 2 cents.
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

Reject wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:03 am
So: :) you walk into a bricks and mortar store

You have the money in your pocket, ready to spend the top limit of your knife budget on your dream Spyderco knife.

They have several of the model you want in the display case.

The person behind the counter hands one to you look at. It looks fine: :eek: except! The blade is not centred.

:confused: What do you do?

Choices.
A. Yep! :D Close enough and buy it.
B. Ask to have a look at another, to see if the centring is better.

A and B are the only choices. :D No rambling essays on the philosophy of the choices of mankind or the quality of cutlery through history are required. Just A or B.

For me; B.
Absolutely B for me.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Case in point, I left this new Chief in s90v in the shop for this reason. Option B was not available and the knife is expensive. This was two weeks ago, and I can see it is still there.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kobold wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:51 pm
Case in point, I left this new Chief in s90v in the shop for this reason. Option B was not available and the knife is expensive. This was two weeks ago, and I can see it is still there.

I on the other hand would still have bought it anyway without any hesitation..... and my reasoning for this can be found in this thread about 100 times, so I better won't repeat it... :D ;)

But both your and my approach are perfectly fine anyway!! :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kobold

Post by kobold »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:25 am
kobold wrote:

I on the other hand would still have bought it anyway without any hesitation..... and my reasoning for this can be found in this thread about 100 times, so I better won't repeat it... :D ;)

I should add, it also had record-breaking blade play.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kobold wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:51 am
Wartstein wrote:
kobold wrote:

Ok... in THAT case I would have been hesitant... ;)
kobold

Post by kobold »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:24 am
kobold wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:51 am
Wartstein wrote:
kobold wrote:

Ok... in THAT case I would have been hesitant... ;)

Often, there is a correlation between the two, ofc. It is a shame thread-lockers are being used, otherwise a fix (or at least a trial) would be trivial. Sadly, I already ruined an expensive Spyderco trying to fight its thread-locker before... It is better to just move on. It's not like I don't have enough knives. :-)
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

I can easily tell you why I expect not perfect. But at least good blade centering.
I own a brand new S30V Native Chief that every time I use it for trimming a soft pine branch or cutting down one box. The blade goes from centered to risking shaving against the linerless G10 scales. I paid over $168 for this knife new at Knife Center. An authorized knife dealer.
So yes I get a little ticked when I can't keep a made in the USA expensive knife decently centered to the point the sharp edge is dragging on the handle liner when closed. And this knife is my lightest used knife. Maybe 5 times I have used it for a small chore. But it does hold a good edge. And is very ergonomic. I did fix the problem with blue Loctite for now.

(Make no mistake. I love my Native chief and in my opinion is easily Spydercos top 5 best designs.)

And yet I own two Cold Steel Pro lites and two Tuff lites. All 4 knives ran me $90. I own a $50 Ruike Tanto flipper And a $40 Ruike P801. And Even a $20 Benchmade decibel. All of those knives ran me just a bit over $200. And my single Native Chief was $168. Yet not one of those so called inferior made in Taiwan/China knives has ever went off center to touching the liner when closed after daily use. Remind you that the Cold Steels I mentioned above do not have liners. Just like my Native Chief.

Lemme put this in perspective. My Native Chief cost almost as much with shipping as those 7 cheaper knives combined I mentioned earlier.

So yes when I spend $168 not counting shipping and taxes. I expect some decent centering. And to hold it under reasonable use. :eye-roll
Last edited by Josh1973 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:19 pm
You pay to have your kitchen floor tiled and this is what you get. It doesn't effect performance one bit and it's purely cosmetic. Are you ok with this or would you complain?

OMG If I had done that tile job for my mother. She would have flipped out and possibly shot me lol.
But your post makes a perfect point. Thanks for sharing. Wish I had noticed this before now.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

People and companies hit the bar you set for them. At the university I was told repeatedly not to make the classes too difficult because the students were not smart enough to reach that high of a standard. Their students were at the level they set and most were far below it. My students all achieved the bar I set and most were beyond it. The same is true for manufacturers.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

As the one who started this thread I may say:

Better to let it rest in peace!

Has become a great example for running in circles and beating a dead horse a long time ago already...
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:07 am

Has become a great example for running in circles and beating a dead horse a long time ago already...
I got nothing against your opinion or views. Nor am I going to create an issue out of your post. I just stated my reasoning for disagreeing. And granted it was 7 months later I done that. I actually just now noticed your post. Being I rarely log on here. And enjoyed your post enough to comment. Even if I disagree. I am humble enough to know many will disagree with my opinion also. And I am fine with that. Stand by your opinion/facts. And F--k what I think. I respect individuality and free thinking. Not going with the trend, agreeing with me, or being a sheep.
Good post you made. Thanks for sharing.
Goodnight.
Josh.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Josh1973 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:49 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:07 am

I got nothing against your opinion or views. Nor am I going to create an issue out of your post. I just stated my reasoning for disagreeing. And granted it was 7 months later I done that. I actually just now noticed your post. Being I rarely log on here. And enjoyed your post enough to comment. Even if I disagree. I am humble enough to know many will disagree with my opinion also. And I am fine with that. Stand by your opinion/facts. And F--k what I think. I respect individuality and free thinking. Not going with the trend, agreeing with me, or being a sheep.
Good post you made. Thanks for sharing.
Goodnight.
Josh.
My apoligies, should have been clearer:

In no way I intedet to say a bad thing about your indeed very sensible comment and actually really appreciate your opinion!

It's just that I think in general this discussion was indeed a "beating a dead horse" already when it ended half a year ago.
But I was not referring to you personally and your comment at all.

And aren't we actually of the same opinion?:

- I clearly mind off centered blades when this has functional implications, like almost rubbing the scales like in your case
- But I don't get the obsession over 100% perfect centering and making this a - for me - useless and artificial "quality" criteria.
Many people wouldn't even notice slight off centering if they weren't told that this shall be a " thing" imo.