Watu spring tension

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

Watu spring tension

Post by gull wing »

Got my Watu yesterday and it's great, feels great in hand, the blade slices like a Calypso Jr.
I have a question for you who have one. Is the spring tension a bit stronger than your other compression locks?
I have a little problem opening the blade (just a little too much detent).
I have a lot of problem pressing the lock lug in to unlock. *

* I have a LOT of compression lock knives. None are near as "heavy" in the spring tension as my Watu.
On my other knives the blade detent is just right.

Another item, what is this going to do to the pivot system???
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
JSumm

Re: Watu spring tension

Post by JSumm »

I would rather have the stronger detent. My Watu is too weak. In fact, I don't carry it often because it came open in my pocket multiple times. How hard is it to pinch the blade towards the tip when closed an open it up? Doesn't take much pull for mine to open. I have noticed something about the shape takes a little different movement to flick open. It may just be the weak detent on mine. I have to think about it a little more otherwise it will not lock up when flicking it. I find the stronger the detent, the more it will fly out with a force able securely lock up when flicking.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

That's interesting JSumm. One too strong, one too soft.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

gull wing wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:23 pm
That's interesting JSumm. One too strong, one too soft.
I tend to lean towards back locks now. And the CBBL on the Manix due to its strong tendency to want to stay closed. I also have the Kapara from Taiwan. It has the strongest detent of any compression lock I have had. I actually prefer that one. Now I have heard on this forum that some people have experienced light detents on the Kapara and hated it. It is odd that individual knives can very like that. Even from the same factory.

That is a big reason why I tend to prefer the back locks these days. Never had a weak detent on those. I have had very loose pivot screws from Seki back locks, but even then the back locks maintained a strong detent.

How long have you had the Watu? By the way, the Watu and Kapara are 2 of my favorites from a footprint standpoint. Basically the shape of the blade and handle, and how the choil is mostly in the handle.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Not even a week.
The Watu is not the most beautiful and shapely knife, but I love "the package". It is quite comfortable when using it. I've cut 1x2 pine stick and no pain happened. The 20CV is sharpened so very well. The thin handle is also a plus.
;) Don't tell anyone but I've lessened the spring a tiny bit. It's perfect now.
Don't try this unless you have experience in knifemaking.

I don't carry lockbacks anymore, my hands are too old. :-||
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

gull wing wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:26 am
Not even a week.
The Watu is not the most beautiful and shapely knife, but I love "the package". It is quite comfortable when using it. I've cut 1x2 pine stick and no pain happened. The 20CV is sharpened so very well. The thin handle is also a plus.
;) Don't tell anyone but I've lessened the spring a tiny bit. It's perfect now.
Don't try this unless you have experience in knifemaking.

I don't carry lockbacks anymore, my hands are too old. :-||
I think the Watu is the Pinnacle of neutral handle. It is very comfortable. Glad you were able to tweak it. It is a keeper.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm confused here, there isn't a spring in the Watu is there?? I did a scale swap on mine and don't recall this, seemed like a pretty basic compression lock design.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

The lock lug IS a spring.
The SS liner is cut, bent, and heat treated, therefore a spring. FYI you can also use titanium as a liner and lock lug spring, only you don't have to heat treat titanium.
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I have been awfully tempted to order one of these. At first I disliked the look, but now find it attractive, and one can’t argue with the blade steel. Does the choil wack your finger upon closing? It looks like it would.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Muscle memory teaches you to get it out of the way before it closes, just like the Shaman for example.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick