Resilience Lightweight - First Impressions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Resilience Lightweight - First Impressions

Post by vivi »

I got my CE Resilience Lightweight today.

Carried it while doing some chores around the house, then took it out to some woods and cut up some wood shavings etc. for a fire.

Here are my first impressions.

Right away I noticed it felt lighter than the G10 version. I weighed mine and got 4.4oz for the LW and 4.9oz for the G10.

Not a huge difference, but 4.5oz is about as heavy as I like for an EDC. Heavier than that and I find I reach for the knife less. So this should see more carry time than the G10 version.

Compared to the G10 model again, the feel in the hand is much better in my opinion.

I've always liked the roomy, neutral handle on this model. It feels just right for my hand size.

Here it is next to my Yojumbo. I've carried it every day since I got it. Both are these knives feel like the perfect size for me.

The FRN version, as expected, has more rounded edges and superior contouring around the lock release area, making it even more ergonomic:

I had briefly considered the idea of putting the G10 scales on this knife and keeping everything else the same, but after handling the FRN scales I changed my mind immediately. These feel really, really good.

Lock-up is secure with no play, just like my G10 example. The lock-up is about 50%, which is later than my G10:

The action initially felt pretty rough.

Seems like there's a lot of silicone grease in the pivot. Looked like a set of plastic washers at first glance.

It's gotten better cycling the action and using the knife throughout the day, but out of the box it was not nearly as smooth as the G10 model.

This is expected to a degree when compared coated vs uncoated blades, but it felt like the difference was larger than that alone would account for. I have not played with the pivot yet, so maybe it'll feel better after adjustment.

Centering is good.

One issue I've run into is like the Police 4 the clip snags a bit when set to tip up:

I've been carrying the Yojumbo the last 3 weeks and even with the extra coarse G10 it doesn't snag on my pocket as much.

Not a huge deal, but I wish they'd extend the smooth part of the scales further down the handle on these large FRN models.

Out of box sharpness was ok. Scrape shaving sharp on the PE part with a pretty polished apex. Not very grabby when slicing plastic tubing and cardboard. The serrated part came very sharp, sharper than the PE. Between the high initial sharpness and the very acute geometry the SE portion glides through anything I've cut.

The edge is a little uneven, both with respect to each side of the PE portion, and how even the bevels are ground on a given side. Not a big deal as I'll reprofile it this weekend anyways, but not the best edge I've seen even compared to Cara Cara's.

I sliced up some cardboard, plastic tubing, shrink wrap, carved wood, and some other odd jobs throughout the day.

The knife carries well and cuts efficiently. That half ounce weight loss makes a big difference for me at least, and the more rounded scales feel much nicer in my hand.

I think combo edge will work well with the blade length. There are enough serrations to bite into any material, and a sweeping PE belly that'll do all the food prep and fine slicing I need. Only question is which degree of polish to give each part of the edge?

I see this becoming a regular part of my rotation. I liked the original Resilience, but it's heavier and a little less comfortable in my hand. I also like the option of teeth. Hopefully someday down the road, the SE version can be reconsidered.
:unicorn
rwk

Re: Resilience Lightweight - First Impressions

Post by rwk »

Nice first impressions review, thanks! Looks like another great knife.

I like my G10 resilience very much, would like to get a lightweight to go with it.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Glad ya got one vivi, and
Looking forward to hearing more about it.

u.w.
vivi

Post by vivi »

u.w. wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:07 pm
Glad ya got one vivi, and
Looking forward to hearing more about it.

u.w.
Been excited for this release since I saw it in the reveal. Now I just need some Swicks and I'm set for now :cheap-sunglasses

The action feels much better after flushing out the grease and putting a drop of mineral oil in the pivot.

Put a quick edge on it too.

Took it down to about 12 degrees per side. 200 grit stone followed by two passes per side on a spyderco fine ceramic stone. good combo of toothy and polished. polished the serrations up as well with the corners of the fine rods.

Excited to cut some stuff with it tomorrow.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:32 pm
I got my CE Resilience Lightweight today.
......Not a huge difference, but 4.5oz is about as heavy as I like for an EDC. Heavier than that and I find I reach for the knife less.
......Compared to the G10 model again, the feel in the hand is much better in my opinion.
..... Looked like a set of plastic washers at first glance.
Thanks for the review!

I have the little brother Tenacious lightweight (in S35VN though)

- I do like and notice the a bit lighter weight (same as a Stretch 2 or Pm2) - actually I´d wish for an even lighter, almost linerless version (so built like a Millie, but in FRN, and with the weight of a Manix 2 LW) - viewtopic.php?t=90301 and the nice FRN contouring. They did a good job with creating those LW versions!

. Plastic washers? Are you sure?
If so, the S35VN versions most likely have another upgrade than just the steel over the 8CR versions: I am pretty sure that my S35VN Tenacious has phosphor bronze washers. Did not have it apart yet, but watched a disassembly vid..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

another great review! i'm waiting impatiently for the s35vn version. i'll probably swap the scales because i'm not a fan of the blue at all. maybe i can find some contoured micarta instead.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:38 am
another great review! i'm waiting impatiently for the s35vn version. i'll probably swap the scales because i'm not a fan of the blue at all. maybe i can find some contoured micarta instead.
Will you get the combo edge like Vivi did?

Actually now I think I should have gone with the comboedge even with the shorter Tenacious S35VN (got it in PE), After all it still has a cutting edge like an Endura, so there´d be enough length of both PE and SE.
(I know what this forum will tell me: "Just get another one, this time in CE" :beaming-face )
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Theldraskien

Post by Theldraskien »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:16 am
. Plastic washers? Are you sure?
If so, the S35VN versions most likely have another upgrade than just the steel over the 8CR versions: I am pretty sure that my S35VN Tenacious has phosphor bronze washers. Did not have it apart yet, but watched a disassembly vid..
I have both in G10 and my Resilience has plastic washers while the Tenacious has bronze. Always seemed odd to me.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:54 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:38 am
Will you get the combo edge like Vivi did?

Actually now I think I should have gone with the comboedge even with the shorter Tenacious S35VN (got it in PE), After all it still has a cutting edge like an Endura, so there´d be enough length of both PE and SE.
(I know what this forum will tell me: "Just get another one, this time in CE" :beaming-face )
i said in the past, if i were to carry a combo, it would be this one because the blade is long enough to get an effective amount of each edge. i'm probably going to go with pe though. the pe resilience gives me a reason to also carry my pac salt or caribbean with it. :winking-tongue
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Thanks for the write-up Vivi, and great pictures. This has taken me one step closer to buying a Tenacious LW.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Surprised at the lukewarm response this has been getting. I know a lot of people are holding out for the S35V run but these look great and take an amazing edge.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I am looking forward to the S35VN model. Hopefully the washers are upgraded, too.
vivi

Post by vivi »

skeeg11 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:37 pm
I am looking forward to the S35VN model. Hopefully the washers are upgraded, too.
lol, it has bronze washers. I just said at first glance all that silicone grease looked like a washer.
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Very cool…I might give this one a look at some point.

I really like my resilience. It’s kind of like someone crash landed a millie into an endura then slapped cheap price tag on it. It resides in my category of knives that I’m not afraid to use as hard as I please in the worst possible conditions. There’s ALWAYS a place for that tool in your box.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:59 pm
Surprised at the lukewarm response this has been getting.

I was 100% on board until the full SE version was cancelled. This does look like a good model for a combo edge, I just think I have other models I'd reach for first. I'm holding out hope that someday the factory figures out how to do it in full SE, I'm still surprised the Seki factory can do a full SE Aqua Salt but China can't do a Resilience.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:14 pm
vivi wrote:

I was 100% on board until the full SE version was cancelled. This does look like a good model for a combo edge, I just think I have other models I'd reach for first. I'm holding out hope that someday the factory figures out how to do it in full SE, I'm still surprised the Seki factory can do a full SE Aqua Salt but China can't do a Resilience.
Said it before: Even more surprising that they can't do a full SE Tenacious (just a CE) in S35VN... but can in 8CR... :thinking
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

vivi wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:48 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:37 pm
lol, it has bronze washers. I just said at first glance all that silicone grease looked like a washer.
Whew! Thanks for clearing that up Vivi.

I have no problem with fully serrated 8Cr13MoV as it seems to do yeoman's work in the Byrd line. When it comes to PE, I guess I'm a little more persnickity and since I have this gut feeling that Spyderco is on the verge of upgrading their budget/value line steel, I'm gonna hold off a bit for things like the Astute in their value line.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

vivi wrote:
Surprised at the lukewarm response this has been getting. I know a lot of people are holding out for the S35V run but these look great and take an amazing edge.
i'd probably grab one, but i already have the g10 version. i thought about getting the blacked out version, but i have too many other knives i want more. if i buy one that's low on the list, i'll have to wait longer for the others.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:27 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:14 pm
vivi wrote:

Said it before: Even more surprising that they can't do a full SE Tenacious (just a CE) in S35VN... but can in 8CR... :thinking

Wait are you saying there IS a full SE Resilience coming in 8CR? I must have missed that?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Hey Vivi, thank you for pics and good reading.
Resilience is a tad big for me, but I was looking at Tenacious s35vn yesterday, nice knife for sure.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45