Question about Salt/Spydie Chef

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Soanso McMasters

Question about Salt/Spydie Chef

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Are the hardware and lock mechanisms rust proof or rust resistant on the Salt series and the Spydie Chef? Has there been any talk of a mini Spydie Chef? Thanks in advance!
Pancake

Re: Question about Salt/Spydie Chef

Post by Pancake »

Spydie Chef is a part of Salt series, so the whole knife should be extremely rust resistant.
Long time ago, there were some reports of the locking surface having some discoloration, but again, it's a frame lock made from titanium, titanium does not rust (as in rusting like steel). So the whole knife is fine.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Most chefs that have had rust issues were either pre cqi or had contamination issues from the factory. (Particles from other steels getting on the blade from the tooling used, etc)

Some people have gotten rust on the blade, this is pretty much contamination. Should come off with a good cleaning and not come back.

I can tell you lc200n certainly holds up to saltwater use. Outside of the mules, which may have had their own issues, I will say that rust on the blade itself comes down to contamination or extreme scenarios. I have lc200n salt knives from Golden, Taichung, and Seki, and they have all seen plenty of saltwater use and the blades never have issues.

As far as the Chef goes, its not perfect but its pretty good. Mine is a 1st cqi model, so it has a ceramic detent ball but the hardware isnt blacked out. I do have some light corrosion on the hardware. The standoffs and screws/ clip screws. Its fairly light corrosion. Frankly its not bad enough for me to worry about it.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Soanso McMasters

So a salt 2 lock back such as the native won’t have rust issues with the hardware or lock either? Same wit any of the green FRN models?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

According to Spyderco, ALL parts of the Salt Series are highly corrosion resistant.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Soanso McMasters wrote: So a salt 2 lock back such as the native won’t have rust issues with the hardware or lock either? Same wit any of the green FRN models?
I make no guarantees of any kind but from what I have seen, both personally and online, the frn salts dont seem to have any issues with any parts of the knife including the lock or hardware.

I have seen discoloration near the hardware of one of my frn salts, but upon disassembly there wasnt an issue.

Unless you are planning on using this knife as a dive knife or something, then I would recommend just getting what you like. If you want the Chef then get that.
Soanso McMasters

Spydiechef has been ordered. It’s a bit bigger than I prefer but I love sheepsfoot blades and am really looking forward to checking out the LC200N. I think a native 5 salt will have to go on the wishlist as well.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Good move.
I really like the contours of SpydieChef, I think it's way better looking then Slysz Bowie. I think you will be satisfied.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Agreed - love the Spydiechef too. It's taken over my pocket since I got it a few months ago.

In LC200N, I also have a Caribbean and a Pacific Salt 2. The Caribbean is great, but it's a big beast; too large for me as an EDC. The Pacific Salt 2 is good in the pocket, but the finger bumps don't quite line up for my fingers, so the ergonomics are just OK.

But the Spydiechef beats them both as an EDC. From your comment, I don't know what size you prefer. It's not too big in the pocket, but the sharpened edge is much longer that one would expect, due to the shape. It also doesn't waste much space in the handle; great blade to handle ratio if that's important to you.

I was also surprised by the ergonomics. It's very comfortable in hand, even though it looks like just two vaguely rectangular slabs of titanium; no chance of misaligned finger bumps. The handle just works in every grip I've tried; overall very comfortable. Also, the shape of the handle near the blade makes for a nice pinch grip. It's also easy on the pocket with the smooth scales.

Also, it's just a nice design in my opinion; just aesthetically pleasing to my eye. Open, closed, half-open, just nice lines; the way the scale cutout matches the Spydiehole, etc.

There are a few minor negatives, but none have bothered me much. The way the framelock covers half the Spydiehole will have you alter your opening technique. Mine has some lockstick, but it seems most framelocks do anyway. The blade is a little thick for food prep (despite its name), but it still works, just a bit of wedging. I've read of some who had some rattling from the lanyard hole, but mine didn't.

My copy was practically perfect out of the box, and the sharpest Spydie out of the box as well.

Anyway - I rambled on too long, but I agree the Spydiechef was a good choice. Many here have claimed it their favorite for good reason.
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
Soanso McMasters

Jason Paul wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:18 am
Agreed - love the Spydiechef too. It's taken over my pocket since I got it a few months ago.

In LC200N, I also have a Caribbean and a Pacific Salt 2. The Caribbean is great, but it's a big beast; too large for me as an EDC. The Pacific Salt 2 is good in the pocket, but the finger bumps don't quite line up for my fingers, so the ergonomics are just OK.

But the Spydiechef beats them both as an EDC. From your comment, I don't know what size you prefer. It's not too big in the pocket, but the sharpened edge is much longer that one would expect, due to the shape. It also doesn't waste much space in the handle; great blade to handle ratio if that's important to you.

I was also surprised by the ergonomics. It's very comfortable in hand, even though it looks like just two vaguely rectangular slabs of titanium; no chance of misaligned finger bumps. The handle just works in every grip I've tried; overall very comfortable. Also, the shape of the handle near the blade makes for a nice pinch grip. It's also easy on the pocket with the smooth scales.

Also, it's just a nice design in my opinion; just aesthetically pleasing to my eye. Open, closed, half-open, just nice lines; the way the scale cutout matches the Spydiehole, etc.

There are a few minor negatives, but none have bothered me much. The way the framelock covers half the Spydiehole will have you alter your opening technique. Mine has some lockstick, but it seems most framelocks do anyway. The blade is a little thick for food prep (despite its name), but it still works, just a bit of wedging. I've read of some who had some rattling from the lanyard hole, but mine didn't.

My copy was practically perfect out of the box, and the sharpest Spydie out of the box as well.

Anyway - I rambled on too long, but I agree the Spydiechef was a good choice. Many here have claimed it their favorite for good reason.
I generally prefer a sub 3 inch blade but the Spydiechef isn’t egregiously over that mark. I’ve also got a techno 2 that should arrive tomorrow. I deploy my knives left handed so I’m hoping both are easier to Spydieflick with the left hand. I then use the knife with either hand.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:02 am
Jason Paul wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:18 am
< SNIP >
I generally prefer a sub 3 inch blade but the Spydiechef isn’t egregiously over that mark. I’ve also got a techno 2 that should arrive tomorrow. I deploy my knives left handed so I’m hoping both are easier to Spydieflick with the left hand. I then use the knife with either hand.
Right, it has a long sharpened edge despite the heel-to-tip length not being too long, due to the curve. It's an odd blade shape for some things, but it's an advantage for others. It's better for EDC than I thought it would be.

On the deployment - for the Spydieflick, left-handed would actually be better than right-handed on the chef; you'd actually have access to the unobstructed Spydiehole on that side. For me (right-hand Spydieflick), I have to deal with the half-obstructed side (due to the framelock).
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

SpydieChef is the most spydieflickable knife I own. As a leftie you will love it. :smiling-heart-eyes
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I've wanted one for a while now. I also want a Salt 2 and Pac Salt 2 LC200N. I think I want those more, so I am still deciding. So many great knives from Spyderco.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

cabfrank wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:20 pm
I've wanted one for a while now. I also want a Salt 2 and Pac Salt 2 LC200N. I think I want those more, so I am still deciding. So many great knives from Spyderco.
Yeah, my budget is sub $150 per knife so I am shopping the salt 2 or pac salt 2 !
Buying 2 knives for the price of one is where I am at in my use
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

No rust here. The Spydiechef is a fantastic EDC. I like it even better than the Sage 2 in that role, and that is high praise indeed:

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Large handed chefs want an XL Spydiechef!
Supersize the Spydiechef!
Whilst I am on my Oliver Twist and impression,
Folding Spydie Cleaver?
https://youtu.be/7tOkpntQtBM
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Fireman wrote: ...
Folding Spydie Cleaver?
Spyderco Roc
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:34 pm
Fireman wrote: ...
Folding Spydie Cleaver?
Spyderco Roc
I was thinking something more kitchen orientation than the Roc and larger. Just my way way out there hopes.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.