Sal, why is ZDP-189 being phased out in favor of K390?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Toucan

Re: Sal, why is ZDP-189 being phased out in favor of K390?

Post by Toucan »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:17 am
Toucan wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:19 am
If ZDP stopps getting made I might have to seriously consider ponying up for a Rockstead of some sort. They've always been a "grail" knife sort of thing for me, but jeeeeez those prices.
Other than my love for titanium and wharnies, this knife has ZDP-189 steel. Such a rare steel to find these days, it was a no brainer! I got it around a month ago, could still be available at montereybayknives. It's the Slayback flipper.

Talk about serendipity, I just saw that knife won "best production knife" or something like that at Bladeshow this year. I was sleeping on it because I think I saw the M390 variant, but a nice ZDP folder for $200ish is pretty sweet. Looks like they are sold out for now. Luckily I just was recently gifted a 420j-clad ZDP Caly3.5, so full size ZDP folder is checked for now. If they do a new batch I will seriously consider it, thanks for sharing.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Toucan wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:18 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:17 am
Toucan wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:19 am
If ZDP stopps getting made I might have to seriously consider ponying up for a Rockstead of some sort. They've always been a "grail" knife sort of thing for me, but jeeeeez those prices.
Other than my love for titanium and wharnies, this knife has ZDP-189 steel. Such a rare steel to find these days, it was a no brainer! I got it around a month ago, could still be available at montereybayknives. It's the Slayback flipper.

Talk about serendipity, I just saw that knife won "best production knife" or something like that at Bladeshow this year. I was sleeping on it because I think I saw the M390 variant, but a nice ZDP folder for $200ish is pretty sweet. Looks like they are sold out for now. Luckily I just was recently gifted a 420j-clad ZDP Caly3.5, so full size ZDP folder is checked for now. If they do a new batch I will seriously consider it, thanks for sharing.
I just saw on IG that the Slayback won best factory EDC knife at Bladeshow West. I came here to tell Rick but you beat me too it

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
z1r

Post by z1r »

Was at the SFO today, checke dout the ZDP Stretch and the SS stretch. Gonna have to pick up one ofthe ZDP's before they're gone. I have a feeling that ZDP would skin a couple of hogs before needing to be touched up!

Then, later, I'll get a SS K390! Then I won't need to choose.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That's awesome! I loved it at first sight when Julia posted hers, but even better in hand. Admittedly, I havent really used it much, but it's a quality piece and the action is so smooth. I'm glad it won that award, and as someone that has one, it doesn't surprise me!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
sal

Post by sal »

We were told that Hitachi was going to phase it out, but I see some makers are still able to get it. Don't know if it's old stock or what. We've got an order in for Caly 3.5 in ZDP laminate that has been accepted. ???

sal
gspam1

Post by gspam1 »

[ZDP-189 got the "most overrated steel" award on KSN; it certainly doesn't have a number of physical/chemical attributes more prominent, V-focused steels have. ]

What is KSN? Googling doesn't get me anything knife related. Thanks!
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

gspam1 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:52 pm
[ZDP-189 got the "most overrated steel" award on KSN; it certainly doesn't have a number of physical/chemical attributes more prominent, V-focused steels have. ]

What is KSN? Googling doesn't get me anything knife related. Thanks!
Knife Steel Nerds. Larrin Thomas, designer of Magnacut
z1r

Post by z1r »

sal wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:55 pm
We were told that Hitachi was going to phase it out, but I see some makers are still able to get it. Don't know if it's old stock or what. We've got an order in for Caly 3.5 in ZDP laminate that has been accepted. ???

sal
Fingers crossed.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Gspam,

Welcome to our forum.

Regarding, ZDP, we've been using it for decades with excellent response. We'll be sorry to see it go, if it goes.

sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

sal wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:55 pm
...We've got an order in for Caly 3.5 in ZDP laminate that has been accepted. ???

sal
On a side note it's nice to hear you're trying to do another run of the Caly 3.5. It's a really nice knife
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

ZDP was one of the first steels that really lit my fuse when it came out. The others were BG 42 and M2 HSS. I considered BG 42 a true stainless "super steel" and then along came ZDP with higher hardness than any other stainless and amazing wear resistance. I couldn't get enough of those Caly jr's and Jess Horns both selling right around $62 which was good even then. I think I eventually ended up with 5 Jess Horns and ended up giving most away. For me knives rarely wear out and I can't recall breaking any even going back to when I was a kid. In fact I just recently found my very first knife ever on a box I was going through.

Really I'd take K390 anyday over ZDP but I will still always respect ZDP. It set new standards for me.

Joe
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

No complaints from me at ZDP being phased out... Have owned it in a Delica (twice), a Caly 3, Caly 3.5, and a Ladybug. Sold all of them.

It's non-stainless enough to spot after cutting up fruit if not cleaned relatively soon after, and while it cut for a while with a relatively polished edge it was sometimes frustrating to sharpen to that polish and never did seem to take a quick low-grit edge well. Never much tested the toughness but was generally careful not to with a ~64 HRC steel.

Bring on the K390, or the HAP-40 if Japanese steel in the Japanese models ever becomes an issue again.
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

Skywalker wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:00 pm
No complaints from me at ZDP being phased out... Have owned it in a Delica (twice), a Caly 3, Caly 3.5, and a Ladybug. Sold all of them.

It's non-stainless enough to spot after cutting up fruit if not cleaned relatively soon after, and while it cut for a while with a relatively polished edge it was sometimes frustrating to sharpen to that polish and never did seem to take a quick low-grit edge well. Never much tested the toughness but was generally careful not to with a ~64 HRC steel.

Bring on the K390, or the HAP-40 if Japanese steel in the Japanese models ever becomes an issue again.
I agree. I don’t see any real advantage to ZDP-189 over alternatives like K390 (Bohler) and HAP40 (Hitachi), unless you are using alumina whetstones. Even then, I would not be surprised if HAP40 is actually easier to sharpen on alumina whetstones.

I believe it is main reason for existing is that it can be better sharpened on traditional Japanese Waterstones than steels containing harder carbides. If you have diamond or CBN abrasives for sharpening, I don’t see the appeal.
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

I will always have a soft spot for zdp, it holds a razor edge quite a while which I really like in pocket knives - clipless like manbug or dragonfly with clip removed. It is not necessarily as stainless as most would like, but with a little extra care did ok by me.
sal

Post by sal »

ZDP was a watershed steel when it came out and was for a while. 3% Carbon, 20% Chrome with alloys like Niobium. In the blade steel world, it was, in my opinion, flight.

sal
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

If zdp does in fact go away, maybe a "final run" sprint?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:24 pm

I vote for a sprint of the Jester, Endela, Wharnie Dragonfly.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
z1r

Post by z1r »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:39 pm
GarageBoy wrote:

I vote for a sprint of the Jester, Endela, Wharnie Dragonfly.
Wow, I totally second this and would ACTUALLY buy all three!
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

GarageBoy wrote:
This thread led me to thirsting for a Stretch 2 in ZDP, so I'd vote for that theoretically, but less selfishly a line that hasn't been green/ZDP'd would be pretty neat - again, theoretically. Currently exhaustively looking for a good used green Stretch across the internet. Not only the perfect scale color, but a unique steel I want to use before it becomes too difficult to, and the overall design is incredible. Looks like a Noldorian weapon, I'm obsessed. I want to know more about this line if anyone can point me to a thread on its design or production history; esp curious how it got its name.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bleasure,

I guess when it comes to history, you're stuck with me.

I designed the first "Hunter" model in 1983. A 3" drop point blade in Gingami 1 (though marked G2 - another long story). Stainless scales. Tip down clip. I changed the blade shape and we made a number of variations with 3" blades. We added, then removed Kraton from the scales (inset) and clip. Also made FRN versions. Made them with and without serrations. Maybe a half dozen+ versions. called them "Pro-Hunter", changed to "Pro-Venator" (another company was using the name Pro-Hunter). Some years ago, I stretched the design to 3.5" blade, changed the blade shape again. We made G-10 versions and FRN versions. Still a drop point. That's when the name was changed to "Stretch". Revised the design again to improve the handle for larger hands which became the "Stretch 2". Still with a drop point blade. Then I designed a straight spined version of the Stretch 2 and made a sprint run with a white FRN scale to test response. Then we added a K390 version to the Straight Spine Stretch 2. Then I again lengthened the size to a 4.0" blade with a Straight Spine which we are currently tooling up for a FRN version. While the 4.0" blade version is large for some jurisdictions, I believe the larger version is a very highly refined folder that the Afi (aficianado) might appreciate. I've carried the prototypes quite a bit and I'm looking forward to getting a first production article. We'll probably make a few in different steels.

Hope that helps?

sal