Contest: New Forum Spyderco Shopping Spree

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ET

Post by ET »

I've always felt that the Spydernuts on Bladeforums were teased. For example, the Lum, plain edge Terzuola and Spyderwrench are nowhere to be seen at my local knife stores. And weren't we supposed to get diamond sleeves for the 204 or was that a dream I had?

The product line also seems so overwhelming that stores never have the exact model I'm looking for. They'll have the combo edge, or the fully serrated edge, or the plain edge Delica instead of the plain edge Endura that I really want. This is probably a catch-22 complaint cause the more knives I want, the more likely they're not in stock. And if Spyderco were to reduce the product line, I'd probably complain even louder.

And I'm not sure if Spyderco is making a huge profit margin off of me or if it's the store or if it's the exchange rates, but knives here in Toronto seem awfully expensive. When people ask me how much a knife of mine costs and I tell them, they usually look at me like I'm crazy. When I try to look at the situation from a non-Spydernut view, I see what they mean. This'll probably be why I'll never get to own a Bob T or a Civilian.

Another gripe relates to the black clips. It's not enough to stop me from buying a Spyderco but it does peeve me. Why does the paint always chip off? Is there no way around this at all? My brother bought a Native a little while ago and within a week I looked at it and the paint around the edges had already worn through. The stainless steel clips are a way around this problem but I'm sure there're others complaining.
FullerH

Post by FullerH »

I am not a fan of the raptor style of blade as in the Civilian, the Merlin, or the apparently lamented Matriarch. While the StarMate is my absolutely favorite folder, I can pass on the hooked blades.
v34

Post by v34 »

All blades should have 50/50 serrated option I would have bought a Centofante and a military if they had that option. It is heresy to say this but the best Spyderhole knife ever made is the Benchmade Mini AFCK. I await the Military junior with bated breath.
dalerich

Post by dalerich »

The only Spyderco knife that I did not immediately want to purchase was the Wenger. I was not impressed with the look and "feel" of this design. I know this is a sacred area for all the Wenger lovers out there but that is why there are so many excellent Spyderco designs available. One other blade that sort of fits in this catagory is the Toad. It is a cute knife but I cannot understand the relativily high sticker price. Great knife but a little more pricey than expected.
Joel McNamara

Post by Joel McNamara »

Great question. Here's a couple of my personal reasons.

Tip-down. Yup, individual preference. I started seriously considering Delicas and Enduras as a self defense tool after taking an Erik Remmen class back in the 90's. Myself (and a fair number of other folks who are obsessive about training, whether by profession of avocation), consider tip-up to have better ergonomics in a small to mid-sized (read legal) folder, during a defense situation. In a stressful encounter, it's critical to have established enough muscle memory for your training to automatically kick in. Over the years, all of my training has been done with tip-up models. Yes, there are some Spydies I lust over, but have passed on them because they are tip-down. A Spyderco is meant to be carried, and not sit on a shelf. Fortunately, situational awareness greatly reduces the chances of actually using your knife for defensive purposes. However, I do enough SAR, EMS, and fire-related activities to really need to rely on a consistent, quick, and reliable deployment. Can't afford for that muscle memory to get confused thinking it's an Endura when it's really a Military.

Tactical perception. I'll admit, I'm a tactical kind of guy (you probably gathered that from the above comments). But the reality is "tactical black" doesn't always cut it in the real world. Sure when I'm doing things with my martial arts, LEO, military, or fire buddies, anything goes. But when I travel in the US and abroad or am among the blade-phobic, a lot of people get freaked out by those black handles, aggressive blades and handle shapes, and serrations (sigh). I've had to pass on buying Spydies as gifts in the past, because of this. Take someone who doesn't belong to this forum and isn't an avid knife collector. Show him or her the catalog page on the Spyderco Web site. My hunch is they're going to make a comment about all of the scary looking knives. I know, tactical has done quite well in the industry. But I sense an upcoming need for non-threatening, classy knives that can function as everyday tools (and still meet the self defense needs of those of us who believe more in a Sun Tzu versus Rambo approach to tactics).

My two cents.

Joel
Couteaux

Post by Couteaux »

Basically it's cost. I tend to really like the higher dollar designs of your knives - and just can't afford them! I'm always looking for good used ones when I'm out and about!

Thanks for the constest! VERY generous!

BTW - I just got my new Khalsa model (found a really special deal) - its AWESOME!

Bob Mikus
Munky_v2

Post by Munky_v2 »

My main reason that I have turned down buying a spydie is price. It's not that they cost too much, it's that I don't make enough. I purchased the Merlin becasue it is such a cool knife, but I had to work overtime to afford it. Now I am saving for an Endura.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Joyce,
I don't buy stainless Spyderco's because they feel heavy and
slippery to me. I won't buy a Civilian because it actually
scares me.
I just received my Shabaria, however and I think it's the most
beautiful knife that Spyderco has ever produced.
Thanks for the contest
Doc
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

My first post and it is an article...

I have carried and used endura and delica knives for the last 10 years. They have been good knives. My next purchase will be a spyderco; most likely a Goddard lightweight with plain edge.

I'm not a big fan of serrations even though the spyderco ones are better than the rest. Sharpening them is a pain (I have the small 4 stone ceramic file set) and I generally prefer clean cuts. The teeth also scare people and attract attention; a bad thing IMO. I get enough attention pulling out a knife with a blade over 2 inches that opens with one hand. I can always sharpen a plain edge using a very course stone to get microserrations, if needed. I traded a full-serrated endura 5 years ago and will probably trade my 50/50 delica soon. No more serrated for me (no offense Sal, the knives are great). Unfortunately, the stores seem to only stock the serrated or 50/50 edges.

Having used tip up carry for 10+ years, I prefer it strongly over tip down carry. I also don't like the idea of having to "drop" a tip down folder to open it rapidly. I can have a good grip on a tip up knife before it leaves my pocket.

It is desirable to have very little handle sticking out of my pocket. Place the clip as close to the end as possible to minimize the amount that shows.

I have a concern about the tip strength of the more pointy blades. That is a reason the goddard lightweight appeals to me. I also like drop point shaped blades. I haven't broken the edura or delica tips, but I have avoided any prying chores.

Cost is always an issue, but having the FRN handled versions available covers my needs for now.

Slayer (name is from online FPS games;I'm really a nice person unless provoked)
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Wow. What a question. Price is definitely an aspect, but not frequently because Spyderco knives are affordable compared to other manufacturers.

Combo-edge if that is the only model a dealer has - I'd rather not.

Lately, the amount of handle above the clip. I like my knives the deeper in the pocket the better.

Dean
jrollins

Post by jrollins »

My credit card is maxed out :-)

That and I'm waiting for some new models to come out. I REALLY want a Meerkat!!!

John Rollins KD7BCY
http://jrollins.tripod.com/
http://www.geocities.com/jrollins.geo/
lear

Post by lear »

Being new to knives, I haven't had a chance to handle any.
MarcoD

Post by MarcoD »

The only thing that's ever stopped me is lack of funds and/or spousal approval.
NCBlades

Post by NCBlades »

I already have that model!

My wife was with me that day!

My wife had the check book that day!

We have a baby on the way!

We need diapers worse than another knife!

The baby has outgrown yet another pair of shoes.

Another knife? When are we going to build a house?

And on and on and on>>>>>>>>..............

By the way, Thanks Sal.
michael

Edited by - NCBlades on 7/28/00 9:30:29 PM
Leo Daher

Post by Leo Daher »

Being a southpaw and a big fan of Spyderco, the only thing that sometimes prevents me from buying your excellent knives (of which my wife and I have quite a few) is the possible unavailability of left-handed models. The Civilian and the Police are two that quickly come to mind, but they sure aren't the only ones I haven't bought for that reason.
That being said, I just love your ambidextrous folders, such as the Endura and the Delica. Keep up the good work!

Regards,

Leo Daher
gaijin

Post by gaijin »

The only reason I would not buy another Spyderco knife is that there are too many Band-Aids on my fingers from playing with the knives I already have that I can't type in the order. It comes out looking like fdhfdsbjk hui ;aughsf ;au ;o;Ojhdsvfu!!!!!
V-1

Post by V-1 »

One thing would be if I already have a comparable Spyderco. For example I have a G-10 Standard so I never picked up a G-10 Rookie. Also, AUS8 on some of the high end knives. Other than that nothing.

Thanks for the chance!
sal

Post by sal »

Joyce - great contest!

Great info. Thanx from R&D.

sal
ceg

Post by ceg »

Didn't buy a Spyderco cause I knew I'd win one in a contest....

Lack of information - years ago, didn't buy Spyderco because I didn't understand convenience of clip, hole and serrations. Got to try it to believe it.