Mid-sized Native?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
z1r

Re: Mid-sized Native?

Post by z1r »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:58 pm
kobold wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:18 pm
A crude transform tool job in Gimp.
Based on this image, I would bet that it well sell very well. Good job!

I agree that it might steal some sales from the Chief which would sadden me.
Since I can't carry a chief due to length restrictions, anther way to think of this is that this would generate a sale that otherwise wouldn't happen. ;)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:13 am
JSumm wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:30 am
I am looking for mid-sized backlock from Golden. Decided against the Native. The handle was too small if not using the choil. The Chief was too large when using the choil (a lot of handle) and there is no lightweight option. I think a mid-size in this very good series would be just right.

I understand that the Chief will still be too long for you then, but there will be a lightweight option (linerless FRN instead of linerless G10, just as it is with the Native 5 and Native 5 LW).
Assuming no new model in the mid-sized range, a lightweight Chief would definitely peak my interest. The blade length is great, but there is a lot of handle left even when not choked up. I think I would prefer a mid-sized if given both options. If only the chief in FRN will be available in the future, then that would be my first Golden backlock!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:35 am
Wartstein wrote:
JSumm wrote:

I understand that the Chief will still be too long for you then, but there will be a lightweight option (linerless FRN instead of linerless G10, just as it is with the Native 5 and Native 5 LW).
Assuming no new model in the mid-sized range, a lightweight Chief would definitely peak my interest. The blade length is great, but there is a lot of handle left even when not choked up. I think I would prefer a mid-sized if given both options. If only the chief in FRN will be available in the future, then that would be my first Golden backlock!

The FRN Chief has been confirmed already and as far as I have been told could be seen already at bladeshow (or some other show, not sure which one)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:38 am
JSumm wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:35 am
Wartstein wrote:
JSumm wrote:

The FRN Chief has been confirmed already and as far as I have been told could be seen already at bladeshow (or some other show, not sure which one)
Yes, I handled it at Blade Show 2021! It seemed like it was a finished product with the finish of the FRN. I am really itching for a Golden Backlock in the lightweight configuration. I think a Mid-Sized would be my preference, but if not on the Horizon I would not hesitate to get a Chief in FRN. As long as it is not deep carry, I don't think one would be able to tell the difference in pocket.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

z1r wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:28 am
JRinFL wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:58 pm
kobold wrote:
Based on this image, I would bet that it well sell very well. Good job!

I agree that it might steal some sales from the Chief which would sadden me.
Since I can't carry a chief due to length restrictions, anther way to think of this is that this would generate a sale that otherwise wouldn't happen. ;)

Agreed and good point.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Here's the lightweight prototype, as shown at Blade 2021. The production version will not be M4.

Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

Accutron wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:22 am
Here's the lightweight prototype, as shown at Blade 2021. The production version will not be M4.

I am fairly certain that is the Native Chief LW (4.08” blade). Different scales not a new design.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Karl_H wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:47 pm
I am fairly certain that is the Native Chief LW (4.08” blade). Different scales not a new design.
Correct. Other people above were talking about the Chief LW prototype, so I provided the pic.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Accutron wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:10 pm
Karl_H wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:47 pm
Correct. Other people above were talking about the Chief LW prototype, so I provided the pic.
I like.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Accutron wrote:

All this talk about the Chief in FRN is pulling me off the Mid-Sized Native train.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
PStone

Post by PStone »

Accutron wrote:

Nice pic! Definitely interested in that.

Off topic: Is that the longer Enuff in the background? Can’t wait to see that in a reveal.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

PStone wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:46 pm

Off topic: Is that the longer Enuff in the background? Can’t wait to see that in a reveal.
The pic is not my own. It's a frame taken from Knifecenter's video.

PStone

Post by PStone »

Accutron wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:52 pm
PStone wrote:

[youtube]…
I remember now. I forgot about that video. Thanks for posting it. Watched it again. Eric did say that even though those weren’t in the reveal, they were in the pipeline. Maybe we’ll see both soon. I could be misunderstanding though.
mpc2

Post by mpc2 »

I am hereby showing my interest.
I want to really like the Native 5, because it is aesthetically beautiful , extremely ergonomic and simple. But it is consistently too small for me. Similar to the endela splitting the difference between delica and endura, I´d say there is definitive room for a nief or a chative.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Since this thread has been resurrected, I'll join the discussion and add my support to this. Native 5 is my favorite but there are times a little bigger knife would be good but the Chief is just too much for my medium sized hands. Would totally take the place of a back lock para 2.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I still think this is a short-sighted redundancy but maybe with the new expansion in Golden this is something they might think is worth the investment?
-Nick :bug-red
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Same, since the Native chief extends the distal taper, it is a better slicer than the N5 (wich is to my eyes the only department the Native 5 is lacking in sometimes, especially after a dozen of sharpenings).

A mid-size Native would also benefit from it I guess !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Now that I have a LW Native, I’m definitely more aware and supportive of the possibility for a Mid-sized Native.
I would really prefer it kept some kind of swedge if it is created. I think it adds something to the design. The lack of swedge on the Native Chief and Police 4 probably made things a little simpler, but also less… cool and arguably is one of the few places where I think the new versions are worse off than their previous.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Accutron wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:52 pm
PStone wrote:

Has there been any further update to which blade steel will be used for the Chief LW? In this year's Shot Show video, Eric now mentions it will be releasing in BD1N, as opposed to S30V mentioned from the Blade Show 2021 "whispered reveal" (linked in quoted post by Accutron). This is dangerously becoming more confusing to "soft reveal" models multiple times way ahead of schedule, regardless of excitement and is kind of becoming a buzzkill, IMO.

*For BD1N reference; right around the 8:00 mark of this video:

Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

kobold wrote:
Don't mind me if I'm bumping this thread, but I've gotta say that this Lil' Chief proposal looks HOT 🤤