How do you use your spydiechef?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sethwm

How do you use your spydiechef?

Post by sethwm »

Subject says it all. I’m legitimately curious if folks EDC it. Sure, it can cut whatever, it’s a sharp thing. But it’s shape is perfectly suited for chopping.

I have mine as a travel chef knife. No pocket time.
VooDooChild

Re: How do you use your spydiechef?

Post by VooDooChild »

Edc, especially if its wet out.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:31 pm
Because of the steel? Or the ti scales do well in the wet?
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

I EDC mine often. Mostly fruit/food duty and havent had to resharpen, yet. At home, if there's a ton of cardboard, I will opt for the beater $35 ZDP Delica, though.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

sethwm wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:31 pm
Because of the steel? Or the ti scales do well in the wet?
Its part of the salt series so it holds up to wet conditions very well. Actually last time I carried mine was out on the boat a week ago. Mine has been in the saltwater several times as well.

But yes the steel and scales are what helps it in wet conditions so much.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

EDC, especially during rainy days, and for cutting stuff around the yard. I don't use folders for food prep.
Attachments
spydiechef_05.jpg
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Am I the only one wondering where I can get a ZDP delica for $35?
z1r

Post by z1r »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:31 pm

Yeah, I paid more like $70 for mine! Forgot I had one, thanks for the reminder! Wish I had picked up a second.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Despite its name and blade configuration I don't think it was intended to displace any kitchen knife except in case of emergency where you might end up cooking at a friend's house who has a block full of butter knives. In that case it can be a godsend. Sad to say that actually happens quite frequently. Granted, it's not for everybody, but because of the positive blade angle and no flat edge, most are inclined to dismiss it and overlook or underestimate its utility.

It is not meant for rugged or rough use. Slicing is its forte. LC200N is very easy to sharpen and maintain and takes both a hair scaring polished edge or a toothy low grit biting edge. Your choice. Most of the year, mine has a polished hair scaring edge and I carry it when visiting friends just in case. Does just fine with forward slicing push cuts as one would do with a chef's knife and I can rock it mincing garlic. Come fall big game hunting season, I very lightly put a minuscule 600 grit diamond micro bevel on the apex for a slightly toothy bite. Smooth polished secondary bevel with a slightly toothy apex works very well for skinning big game. As a folding pocket friendly skinner, it has NO peers. Impervious to blood & guts and the elements. If you don't have one in your arsenal, it would fill a unique niche.
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:31 pm
Iirc I got it off ebay, it was new but had the most absurdly asymmetric and crooked edge grind I've ever seen on a Spyderco.
It took forever to thin and even out with an Edge Pro, but has been great ever since.
PStone

Post by PStone »

I use mine as my going out to eat knife. Whether it be friends/family house or a restaurant. Absolutely love it in this role.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I’ve come to conclude that the SpydieChef really is purpose-built, and that purpose is not one of general utility. I ceased carrying it long ago because I found its angle of attack too shy.

Since our kitchen is well-stocked in knives, I’ve moved my SpydieChef into the galley of our camper-van where it preps food on cramped surfaces just fine.

EDIT: I forgot to say that I could make my SpydieChef perform as a general-purpose EDC knife by employing different grips. After all, my very distant ancestors did wonders with just micro blades that were literally chips off a block of conchoidal tool-stone. But there are so many other Spydies that are simply better suited to tasks in general.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

IMO, it is better suited for EDC than kitchen use. There is a learning curve to using it.

You have to hold it in an unusual way to use the tip effectively. Try using a pinch grip and holding the knife sideways. The positive blade angle and edge curvature make using it in a sabre grip much worse than a pinch or precision grip.

I now only use it with a pinch or precision grip. I no longer use it with a saber or hammer grip.

The blade is too short to be very useful on a cutting board. The blade is too thick to make it a great paring knife. The lack of serrations make it a poor choice for use on plates.

I consider it a jack of all trades, master of none.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

It also makes pretty decent feathersticks.
Attachments
spydiechef featherstick 01.jpg