I think I’m going to do it!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheGiant80

I think I’m going to do it!

Post by TheGiant80 »

I think I’m going to suck it up and finally order a Police 4 in HAP40/SUS410 with Pakkawood scales.

If anyone has a reason why I shouldn’t do so, speak now or forever hold your peace!

;)
SG89

Re: I think I’m going to do it!

Post by SG89 »

Do it 👍🏻
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:23 pm
I think I’m going to suck it up and finally order a Police 4 in HAP40/SUS410 with Pakkawood scales.

If anyone has a reason why I shouldn’t do so, speak now or forever hold your peace!

;)

the SUS410 cladding scratches pretty easily, just be warned. A thought if you're more into collecting stuff. Discard this if you're planning to use this and not keep it as a safe queen.

Other than that, go do what you want with your money. ;)

edit: cool, post #1234. :')
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:30 pm
Do it 👍🏻
The lead enabler chimes in haha

It's not like we're going to say...Nooooo don't do that!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:38 pm
the SUS410 cladding scratches pretty easily, just be warned. A thought if you're more into collecting stuff. Discard this if you're planning to use this and not keep it as a safe queen.

Other than that, go do what you want with your money. ;)

edit: cool, post #1234. :')
Thanks for the heads up about the cladding, but this thing is going to definitely be a user! I carry a lot of H1 as well, so scratches are o.k. by me!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

nerdlock wrote:
...the SUS410 cladding scratches pretty easily, just be warned. A thought if you're more into collecting stuff. Discard this if you're planning to use this and not keep it as a safe queen.
I have a few HAP40/SUS410 knives with the cladding that show a lot of use. I kind like how it gives the knives your own personal history with it. Thinking about it, I have 4 or 5 more that still look like new including two Pakkawood knives. I just don't carry those for some reason. I think I have a bit of hang up because they're so nice and I already have other models that are pre-scratched. I guess I need to get over it and get those initial scratches on those so I can carry them lol
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:54 pm
nerdlock wrote:
...the SUS410 cladding scratches pretty easily, just be warned. A thought if you're more into collecting stuff. Discard this if you're planning to use this and not keep it as a safe queen.
I have a few HAP40/SUS410 knives with the cladding that show a lot of use. I kind like how it gives the knives your own personal history with it. Thinking about it, I have 4 or 5 more that still look like new including two Pakkawood knives. I just don't carry those for some reason. I think I have a bit of hang up because they're so nice and I already have other models that are pre-scratched. I guess I need to get over it and get those initial scratches on those so I can carry them lol

Not totally hating on scratching on the cladding steel issue - my VG-10s and LC200Ns are scratched from regular EDC use lol (granted, they're not clad steel but still scratches about the same). But I do get it that there are some folks who really want a pristine blade so I just thought I might put that one out here.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:48 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Do it 👍🏻

My problem is I’m a serial flip-flopper. I decided three months ago I needed a new blade. Over-researching, over-analysis, overwhelmed by choice; I still haven’t chosen a knife to buy. The P4 Pakka seems like a modern twist on a traditional work knife, which I find infinitely appealing. Just wanted a little last-minute input in case others have horror stories to share..
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

The Pakkawood scales are very smooth, theres almost no grip compared to peel pley g10 or bidirectional frn.

The ergos are good enough so this may not be a problem.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:56 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:54 pm
nerdlock wrote:

Not totally hating on scratching on the cladding steel issue - my VG-10s and LC200Ns are scratched from regular EDC use lol (granted, they're not clad steel but still scratches about the same). But I do get it that there are some folks who really want a pristine blade so I just thought I might put that one out here.
Definitely good info on your part!
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:58 pm
The Pakkawood scales are very smooth, theres almost no grip compared to peel pley g10 or bidirectional frn.

The ergos are good enough so this may not be a problem.
Slick scales. Okay that’s really good to know, thank you.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

My HAP40 Endura is constantly competing with my HAP40 Stretch for the title as my personal best folder of all times and all brands...

Knowing your size: The Police wouid probably be for you what an Endura is for an average sized person, so YES: Do it!! :smlling-eyes

On the steel(s): Said it before, I really love how HAP40/SUS410 shows use and character, signs of the "life" of a knife, making it a real personal item over time: SUS410 by the scratches it gets, HAP40 by its patina.
And perhaps I should also mention that the steel performs great ;): In edge retention, toughness and "sharpenability".

On the scales: My two HAP40 folders are in burnt orange frn (a color I really like), certainly the more practical choice than pakkawood.
That being said: I'd take them in wood without any hesitation, I think the ergos of Endura, Stretch and Police are so good that slicker scales don't matter too much and just add to the personal character that the steel already gives.

I think Vivi has a Police in Pakkawood, perhaps you could pm him on how he likes the scales.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

No Boye Dent...no bueno
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

Pakkawood scales are smooth but I find them to have more grip than smooth carbon fiber. They always feel secure to me.
Im assuming mine was a one off but, my Endura came with zero Loctite so it started falling apart midway through a work day. But after adding some it’s a great user and shares pocket time with the FRN versions.
I say go for it.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I don’t have this particular Police model but must say it’s a beauty . I’ve owned a few over the years presently only have the G10 model but eventually will get a SS model mainly because I still prefer the blade style . Don’t worry about the scratches gives knives some character. Enjoy your buy ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:48 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Do it 👍🏻

Yeah, really. It's like we're all in a multi-step program to help you with your addiction, but no one's made it past the first step. :squinting-tongue
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

You only live once, go for it! Especially if you don't mind the scratches, because they will happen EASILY. I used mine ONE day at work in the warehouse and you would have thought that I had the knife for 10 years. I had the Delica version of this for a bit, I liked the knife and the scales. I was pretty lucky that both sides of the scales seemed to match each other perfectly too.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Go for it! I've been kicking the idea around myself....lead the way!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Do it.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Even based on nothing but that picture, I agree, do it!