Interest for an all Titanium Ikuchi?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
skeeg11

Re: Interest for an all Titanium Ikuchi?

Post by skeeg11 »

Airlsee wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:10 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:10 pm
If they go Titanium frame lock, then why not go all the way with an LC200N Salt? Looks like it would make an excellent bird & trout knife or even a pocket paring knife to go along with the SpydieChef. The Mantra 2 is my favorite EDC and as much as I like M4, I kinda wish they had done an LC200N version, too. The Ikuchi has thinner stock, but as the blade configurations on both are somewhat similar, I would pony up for a salty Ikuchi.

Most seem to bemoan the weight penalty of titanium as opposed to the FRN light weight models, but actually I like that they are so much more easy on the pockets.

Since we are just wishing for things and it seems like it takes Spyderco a few years of pre-production for TI models. I'll take the idea of an Ikuchi Salt framelock and ask that they use Vanax Superclean! It seems like it is a long overdue steel for Spyderco and an Ikuchi Salt would just be awesome in multiple ways, many of which you pointed out!
Even better. :smiling-heart-eyes
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

skeeg11 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:17 pm
Airlsee wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:10 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:10 pm
If they go Titanium frame lock, then why not go all the way with an LC200N Salt? Looks like it would make an excellent bird & trout knife or even a pocket paring knife to go along with the SpydieChef. The Mantra 2 is my favorite EDC and as much as I like M4, I kinda wish they had done an LC200N version, too. The Ikuchi has thinner stock, but as the blade configurations on both are somewhat similar, I would pony up for a salty Ikuchi.

Most seem to bemoan the weight penalty of titanium as opposed to the FRN light weight models, but actually I like that they are so much more easy on the pockets.

Since we are just wishing for things and it seems like it takes Spyderco a few years of pre-production for TI models. I'll take the idea of an Ikuchi Salt framelock and ask that they use Vanax Superclean! It seems like it is a long overdue steel for Spyderco and an Ikuchi Salt would just be awesome in multiple ways, many of which you pointed out!
Even better. :smiling-heart-eyes

I guess to be responsible I need to add that the machining not be too extravagant. Sandblasted and contoured Ti would be great if kept <~$300. It would be horrible if it became a knife with amazing machining but priced in the ~$450 range and didn't sell well, or was priced out of the user market.
So it goes.
Bazillions

Post by Bazillions »

The flipper wheel isn't the easiest to use with wet or greasy hands :thinking
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

A Ti vanax Icuchi or Ti LC200N would be über tempting. If they are made, I predict a quick seller even at a premium. I would still want it to be a XL Ikuchi though. Timascus Tikuchi?
Contoured and textured Tikuchi XL aka “Kraken” in Vanax or LC200N would be the ultimate.
Last edited by Fireman on Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

We may be getting into entirely new knife territory here. The thing about the Ikuchi I like most is the blade configuration from 2.5mm stock which is probably the one constant we all find appealing.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

skeeg11 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:49 pm
We may be getting into entirely new knife territory here. The thing about the Ikuchi I like most is the blade configuration from 2.5mm stock which is probably the one constant we all find appealing.
A larger Ikuchi does not need thicker stock. A filet knife is thin and long. A larger Ikuchi would be an elegant pocket paring knife or steak knife or anything you need an elegant slicer.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Fireman wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:57 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
A larger Ikuchi does not need thicker stock. A filet knife is thin and long. A larger Ikuchi would be an elegant pocket paring knife or steak knife or anything you need an elegant slicer.
I'm totally with you on a longer Ikuchi like knife
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Ok, if it will damage the Ikuchi somehow, let’s just make a Bow River folder since the blade shape is about the same. Not as elegant as the Ikuchi though.
Pocket Bow River?
Lock back for a more old school feel?
LC200N?
G10?
Like the Siren is to the Waterway…
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I really do like the Ikuchi blade shape as well as a lot of the other embellishments suggested which would probably make it an entirely different knife.
Karl_H

Post by Karl_H »

skeeg11 wrote:
Actually, I think the blade stock should probably be a little thicker (0.125" ?) to improve friction and comfort when flipping. However, I would appreciate a more thinly ground blade e.g., (0.08", 2mm).

Refine the lock bar tension, compression lock tab, contoured Ti scales, LC200N blade and we would have a great knife.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Karl_H wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:13 pm
skeeg11 wrote:
Actually, I think the blade stock should probably be a little thicker (0.125" ?) to improve friction and comfort when flipping. However, I would appreciate a more thinly ground blade e.g., (0.08", 2mm).

Refine the lock bar tension, compression lock tab, contoured Ti scales, LC200N blade and we would have a great knife.
All interesting stuff. Perhaps the OP could change the title to If you could design your own titanium Ikuchi.............. I'm all ears.
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

Even if it still had the steel insert liner compression lock, a ti-handled Ikuchi with an engraved texture pattern similar to this would be great:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUaqEQlsXZ3/

^^ It can even keep the currrent holes as elements integrated into the design.
KitsuneSan

Post by KitsuneSan »

Hopefully it comes in one of the next releases.