How "In Shape" are You?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Meat man

Re: How "In Shape" are You?

Post by The Meat man »

I guess I'll find out this coming Friday. Me and a friend want to see how far we can walk in one day. Our goal is 50 miles, but we are hopeful that we can overshoot that. It will most likely be a 24-hour challenge.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

My wife and I started walking for exercise a few years ago. We generally walk 2-3 miles per day during the week and then 5-7 miles per day on the weekend. I also exercise for about 45 min. to an hour daily (crunches/sit-ups, etc.). Seems to help, especially as I get closer to my 40's.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:55 pm
I guess I'll find out this coming Friday. Me and a friend want to see how far we can walk in one day. Our goal is 50 miles, but we are hopeful that we can overshoot that. It will most likely be a 24-hour challenge.
Please let us know how that goes. I'd love to get out there right with you but as said earlier in another thread I had a setback with spinal stenosis. Maybe someday, but not today.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:09 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Please let us know how that goes. I'd love to get out there right with you but as said earlier in another thread I had a setback with spinal stenosis. Maybe someday, but not today.
I'll do that! We are both pretty keyed up about it. I love a good physical challenge and this one should be fun. We are planning to walk on the Katy Trail, which is an old railroad line that stretches across Missouri. It's a nicely maintained gravel trail now, and should make for easy walking. Much of the Katy trail runs along the Missouri River, following in the footsteps of Lewis and Clark back in 1803.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

twinboysdad wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:28 am
My son is a budding middle school wrestler. I go live with him a few days a week since we are close enough in size now. I didn’t wrestle growing up and the cardio and strength demands are unreal. I did both Judo and BJJ in my 30’s and it is not even close to wrestling. I run with wife on Saturdays and strength train 3 days per week but never go heavy as I am high mileage and very close to 50. Pro tip- you cannot out exercise a crappy diet. Diet is crucial.
Son got invited to practice today at arguably best club in the state. One of the coach’s has a son my son’s age and I would put the coach between 44-48. He wrestled high school kids for an hour and a half, five minutes on and one off. I had to give him beast props on the way out, unbelievable cardio for an older fart like me
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I cycle about 20mi a day now. I did 40mi a few days ago and that wore me out, but I'm slowly getting back into exercise and working on getting back in shape.
--Jeremy
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

kerrcobra wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:15 pm
I cycle about 20mi a day now. I did 40mi a few days ago and that wore me out, but I'm slowly getting back into exercise and working on getting back in shape.
I have Kreitler Rollers and a decent bicycle. But I need a sheet of plywood to place under the rollers to protect carpeting and the wood floors here.

I just read that vigorous exercise is 3x better than walking at a good pace, so my target now is to get the rollers going and work on my core.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

kerrcobra wrote:
CONGRATS on the cycling!!! I used to avg 20 to 40mi per day back in the early 80's.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:24 pm
kerrcobra wrote:
CONGRATS on the cycling!!! I used to avg 20 to 40mi per day back in the early 80's.
Thanks man! It's been a hard journey, and there was quite a bit of laziness in there on my part, but after my motorcycle accident my perspective on life shifted, so I'm trying to be better and get back in shape and be healthy.
--Jeremy
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

kerrcobra wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:44 pm
Thanks man! It's been a hard journey, and there was quite a bit of laziness in there on my part, but after my motorcycle accident my perspective on life shifted, so I'm trying to be better and get back in shape and be healthy.
Wow, glad that you're OK. Knock on wood, I never had a serious motorcycle accident. Also at my age (61) and likely recovery rate, I'll stick to autos.

I'll be on the rollers by the 5th of October! I'll get a sheet of plywood and ride those Kreitlers like there is no tomorrow. I need to drop 50+ lbs because next year I plan to go back to walking.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:24 pm
kerrcobra wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:44 pm
Wow, glad that you're OK. Knock on wood, I never had a serious motorcycle accident. Also at my age (61) and likely recovery rate, I'll stick to autos.

I'll be on the rollers by the 5th of October! I'll get a sheet of plywood and ride those Kreitlers like there is no tomorrow. I need to drop 50+ lbs because next year I plan to go back to walking.
Thanks, man! I had my serious motorcycle accident 2 weeks after I bought my bike, and it was probably less than a month of riding.

As for cycling, I've now made it about 4-5 weeks straight of putting around ~80-100+mi on my exercise bike. I'll be ready to buy a real bicycle soon, but I don't know yet what kind I want.
--Jeremy
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

kerrcobra wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:58 am
Thanks, man! I had my serious motorcycle accident 2 weeks after I bought my bike, and it was probably less than a month of riding.

As for cycling, I've now made it about 4-5 weeks straight of putting around ~80-100+mi on my exercise bike. I'll be ready to buy a real bicycle soon, but I don't know yet what kind I want.
I've had 2 motorcycles and I laid them both down going less than 15MPH. I was very lucky, and that is an understatement. No more motorcycles for me.

As for the bicycles, look all over the Internet and see what is for sale there are plenty of options and prices vary widely like any other thing you are looking at to buy. If you live up North, get yourself some rollers and keep riding indoors through the Winter on the bicycle that you bought and train. I have Kreitlers and they are pretty good for the money.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:34 am
kerrcobra wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:58 am

I've had 2 motorcycles and I laid them both down going less than 15MPH. I was very lucky, and that is an understatement. No more motorcycles for me.

As for the bicycles, look all over the Internet and see what is for sale there are plenty of options and prices vary widely like any other thing you are looking at to buy. If you live up North, get yourself some rollers and keep riding indoors through the Winter on the bicycle that you bought and train. I have Kreitlers and they are pretty good for the money.
Thanks man. I was wondering what rollers were. I wish I lived up north or somewhere it was cold. I live in hot, humid Georgia. I've begun some bicycle research, and I see there are a lot of options out there.

Also, I unfortunately wrecked/flipped the bike at 80+mph.
--Jeremy
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

kerrcobra wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:24 am
Thanks man. I was wondering what rollers were. I wish I lived up north or somewhere it was cold. I live in hot, humid Georgia. I've begun some bicycle research, and I see there are a lot of options out there.

Wow! 80MPH. My brother had a bad accident on a motorcycle too.

I'll leave it up to you but I'm walking away while I can.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:16 am
kerrcobra wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:24 am

Wow! 80MPH. My brother had a bad accident on a motorcycle too.

I'll leave it up to you but I'm walking away while I can.
Yeah, man. That's probably the smart choice, and it's what my doctor told me to do too, but I still ride. I just don't get on highways or drive through cities anymore. Only scenic routes for me up in these mountains I live near.
--Jeremy
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

The Meat man wrote:
It's going to be a couple weeks now...I've come down with a nasty cold that's been going around. Pretty disgusting. There's a slim chance that next week will work, but if not then we'll probably have to wait until the end of the month. Oh well.
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

The Meat man wrote:
Well, last week it worked out after all. Wow. I knew it would be hard but I didn't suspect it would be THAT hard. We made it, but...ouch.

We started out at 6 am sharp. The air was crisp and cool and it was still dark. We maintained a brisk pace, the smooth gravel crunching under our shoes, talking as we walked. It was fun.

We got to the first town about 4.5 hours in. By this time we'd walked about 16+ miles, and our feet and legs were in a lot of pain. We stopped and took off our shoes and rested for 15-20 minutes. That felt good but made it harder to get back up and keep going.

After that it was sort of a pain endurance march. I didn't begin to get blisters until about 25 miles in, but we had a lot of muscle pain. Then I ran out of water, and it was awhile before we found somewhere I could refill.

About 29 miles or so in, we stopped and talked to a trio of bikers going the same route we were, but in the opposite direction. They were really nice, offered us food and water and later, after we'd parted, one of them biked back to us and offered some blister first aid if we needed any (which I did.) That was very considerate of them, especially to have biked a mile or so out of their way to help.

After that there wasn't much to do except keep putting one foot in front of the other. I started getting blisters on both feet; nothing really to do about them but keep walking. Eventually it got dark and we kept going. After dark, we saw lots of coons and deer, and a possum.

Finally, at midnight, we hobbled in to our destination trailhead, 18 hours after we'd started. Thankfully our ride got there about the same time, so we hopped in and drove home.

I thought the pain was bad during the walk, but it was nothing compared to when I got home! I could barely make it to the door, and it was after 2 am before I was able to fall asleep. Blisters, bad chafing, and muscle stiffness. It took a few days to get over the worst of it.

All told, we walked 50.9 miles in exactly 18 hours (including about 1.5 to 2 hours' worth of breaks.)

We learned a lot: pack more water, less food, more blister and first aid supplies, maybe chafing powder, wear better shoes, and probably most important, physically prepare. Lol. We hadn't done any sort of preparation training or anything, we just jumped into it cold.

I'm glad we did it. It was fun at first but became a real physical and mental challenge early on. All in all, I think I can say it was without a doubt the hardest thing I've ever done, both physically and mentally.
- Connor

Naperville

Post by Naperville »

UPDATE:

I tried walking back in August and found that I have a nasty case of spinal stenosis. I saw a few DRs and that is their conclusion.

In November, I'm buying a sheet of 3/4 inch thick plywood and will be getting on bicycle rollers in the house to drop 50lbs. I need the sheet of plywood to go beneath the rollers to balance the rollers on carpeting and catch sweat.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:26 pm
All told, we walked 50.9 miles in exactly 18 hours (including about 1.5 to 2 hours' worth of breaks.)

We learned a lot: pack more water, less food, more blister and first aid supplies, maybe chafing powder, wear better shoes, and probably most important, physically prepare. Lol. We hadn't done any sort of preparation training or anything, we just jumped into it cold.

I'm glad we did it. It was fun at first but became a real physical and mental challenge early on. All in all, I think I can say it was without a doubt the hardest thing I've ever done, both physically and mentally.
Great story. You are one heck of a trooper!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:43 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:26 pm

Great story. You are one heck of a trooper!
Thanks! I sure didn't feel like one, but it's nice to be able to say we did it. After telling some of our co-workers about our plan, we couldn't very well give up. ;)
- Connor