Are you even marginally prepared?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Re: Are you even marginally prepared?

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:44 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:32 pm
James Y wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:40 am
Granoo Fink wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:23 am

True. If you leave your social support to get out into the woods, alone or only with your family, you better hide well.

I agree. In such a scenario, if you’ve ever planned or even contemplated escaping the cities and getting out into the wilderness to get away from everyone, MANY other people, especially outdoorsmen or survivalist types, have the same plans too, and I’m betting that even the middle of the wilderness will become full of survivalist groups (and some individuals) establishing their own territories and living off the land, as well as transgressing on others’. And even a cabin or house that’s off the grid ‘in the middle of nowhere’ will be discovered sooner or later.

I am not saying not to do anything; I’m only saying that a lot of other people have already thought about the same things.

Jim

What I was talking about is if one lives in say a larger town or city.

That is not the place to be, that would be even worse than putting up with the survivalist types out in the woods.

Being around too many people would not be good, just saying.
Jim

I'm not even sure where I would fit into that, because I live in a city but don't live in an urban area, nor a small town out in the country. It's more a suburb area.

I do get along well with my neighbors, and I'm sure that at least some would probably band together. But you don't really know until or unless something like that really happens.

Inner city or areas like that, forget it. Those will look like The Purge the quickest.

Jim

Jim,

That is the point. ;)

The past 2 years or has shown me a lot about how a lot of people really are. :biohazard

Imagine if something really bad happened, I mean really bad like they are talking about here. :double-bang :double-bang

Chaos would come very quickly.

Other people would be the biggest issue by far.

Jim
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I wouldn't be worried about making it out of this scenario alive, but being in the center of DFW I would have to abandon my apartment (and the metroplex) pretty quickly and wouldn't expect to come back to anything that was left there.

So if the question is if we could homestead through this situation unscathed, then absolutely not. If we are talking about this on a worldwide scale, then nothing would ever be the same afterwards. There would be very few who were better off when it was all over...
So it goes.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Airlsee wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:08 pm
I wouldn't be worried about making it out of this scenario alive, but being in the center of DFW I would have to abandon my apartment (and the metroplex) pretty quickly and wouldn't expect to come back to anything that was left there.

So if the question is if we could homestead through this situation unscathed, then absolutely not. If we are talking about this on a worldwide scale, then nothing would ever be the same afterwards. There would be very few who were better off when it was all over...

Well it eventually would come back, I mean humanity came back after the dark ages, it only took around 1,000 years. :grin-smiling-eyes
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:20 pm
Well it eventually would come back, I mean humanity came back after the dark ages, it only took around 1,000 years. :grin-smiling-eyes

Yeah, I'm not saying society wouldn't come back slowly and in a new form, but that it would never be the same as it was before everything stopped.
So it goes.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Airlsee wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:25 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:20 pm

Yeah, I'm not saying society wouldn't come back slowly and in a new form, but that it would never be the same as it was before everything stopped.

Eventually it would progress back to the current form or something very close to it, but the time lost would be well, time lost, just like the dark ages.

Would just take a long time for it to happen, a very long time to restore order once again and get functioning Governments back in place etc. Then the 100's of years of restructuring etc. to get humanity and society back to were we are now.

Could take a very long time depending on how many people are left in the world before it started moving forward again.

Population would be cut down a lot due to starvation, unrest, diseases, plagues just like back in the dark ages.

Eventually humanity would come out of it, there would just be a lot less people than there are today.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I doubt anyone would be really prepared for what could come down the road in a total breakdown.

How many people would actually have the funding to really get what was needed to live the rest of their lives in basically isolation? Say 30 to 40 years and maybe with family members too.

With the total breakdown of society nothing would be the same as it is now. Nothing would work, no cars, power, no manufacturing, no food supply for the masses.

No Government, no police, no firemen, no hospitals, no medication.

And we would be talking about today, with todays population numbers, not back in the dark ages when the population was low compared to today.

There would be no place to hide that they wouldn't find you and there would be 10's of millions of people looking.

Then there would be the gangs that would develop all over the place taking control.

And all of this would go on for a very long time, could be and likely would be for 100's of years.

So we aren't talking about some weekend camping trip here were people would just go back to their normal lives in a few days.

We are talking about for the rest of their lives.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:29 am
I doubt anyone would be really prepared for what could come down the road in a total breakdown.

How many people would actually have the funding to really get what was needed to live the rest of their lives in basically isolation? Say 30 to 40 years and maybe with family members too.

With the total breakdown of society nothing would be the same as it is now. Nothing would work, no cars, power, no manufacturing, no food supply for the masses.

And we would be talking about today, with todays population numbers, not back in the dark ages when the population was low compared to today.

There would be no place to hide that they wouldn't find you and there would be 10's of millions of people looking.

Then there would be the gangs that would develop all over the place taking control.

And all of this would go on for a very long time, could be and likely would be for 100's of years.

So we aren't talking about some weekend camping trip here were people would just go back to their normal lives in a few days.

......yup.
I don't even wanna think about it.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:

Very true. I realize this is probably deviating from the original intent of this thread; this particular scenario we’re discussing now extends far beyond a few months, and is one that’s so cataclysmic that it’s permanent.

Some might say it would be good, because no more government to control our lives, etc. But leadership would happen again, one way or another, and would most likely be much worse, under gangs, dictatorships, etc. It would happen again, because of human nature. There is always an overwhelming desire for some to seize control of the rest of the people and all resources, and enough numbers below them who will help them to enforce it for their own benefit. There would be countless of these little fiefdoms.

Yes, there are many good people in this world, but those who have the most ambition and motivation to seize power tend to not be those types of people.

Another thing in such an earth-shattering event is the issue of guns. Which is something that many people imagine will get them through even a long-term (meaning permanently altered) scenario. With no more manufacturing, while it may take years, supposing that people are rationing, eventually the stores of ammo will run out.

What I am talking about is a scenario in which if such a thing ever happens, I hope I’m long gone by then.

Jim
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Yup...again Jim Y.
And, one thing that I think may be easy to forget is that it wouldn't take much to wipe a man out anyways.
I'm talkin about a single cut and, you have no triple antibiotic ointment even.
Ya know, I was tellin my wife the other day what a marvel neosporin really is.
That may sound silly but, imo, it's incredibly good stuff!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Anyone watch Jericho?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:24 am
Anyone watch Jericho?
I just saw the Wikipedia page for it. I'm going to have to track it down and watch it.
Last edited by Naperville on Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:19 am
What I am talking about is a scenario in which if such a thing ever happens, I hope I’m long gone by then.

Jim
Within the first month, hundreds of millions will perish if we have anything major happen. Most would die from lack of electricity, lack of clean water, lack of food, lack of warmth and cooling. Humans are pretty soft targets for Mother Nature.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

Very true. I realize this is probably deviating from the original intent of this thread; this particular scenario we’re discussing now extends far beyond a few months, and is one that’s so cataclysmic that it’s permanent.

Some might say it would be good, because no more government to control our lives, etc. But leadership would happen again, one way or another, and would most likely be much worse, under gangs, dictatorships, etc. It would happen again, because of human nature. There is always an overwhelming desire for some to seize control of the rest of the people and all resources, and enough numbers below them who will help them to enforce it for their own benefit. There would be countless of these little fiefdoms.

Yes, there are many good people in this world, but those who have the most ambition and motivation to seize power tend to not be those types of people.

Another thing in such an earth-shattering event is the issue of guns. Which is something that many people imagine will get them through even a long-term (meaning permanently altered) scenario. With no more manufacturing, while it may take years, supposing that people are rationing, eventually the stores of ammo will run out.

Jim

Jim,

Those who think it would be good are delusional at best.

They haven't actually thought it though past their own personal delusions.

What they are complaining about now would be nothing compared to what they would have to endure. :grin-squint

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:44 am
James Y wrote:

Jim
Within the first month, hundreds of millions will perish if we have anything major happen. Most would die from lack of electricity, lack of clean water, lack of food, lack of warmth and cooling. Humans are pretty soft targets for Mother Nature.

Just in the US alone would would be looking at around a 80% reduction in population before it would be over and that is a conservative estimate.
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

No. Not in the East coast with big cities and millions of people around you in the same bad shape and desperate.
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

Ankerson wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:18 pm
Naperville wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Just in the US alone would would be looking at around a 80% reduction in population before it would be over and that is a conservative estimate.
Especially in the big cities where I reside. Good luck trying to survive in such a crisis with elevated crime and total anarchy.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Josh1973 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:17 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:18 pm
Naperville wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

Especially in the big cities where I reside. Good luck trying to survive in such a crisis with elevated crime and total anarchy.

Those would be a wasteland before long.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I think we have touched on some of the issues, but I'll point out that all or most of these issues can be mitigated with planning and investing in food, water, possibly some tools for security, and more. You need 3 to 6 months of stores to make it through the toughest part. During this time you can plan what your next steps will be.

There is no need to roll over and give up. There are also entire forums on the internet dealing with prepping and survivalism that discuss these issues.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

So little faith in humanity.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:54 pm
I think we have touched on some of the issues, but I'll point out that all or most of these issues can be mitigated with planning and investing in food, water, possibly some tools for security, and more. You need 3 to 6 months of stores to make it through the toughest part. During this time you can plan what your next steps will be.

There is no need to roll over and give up. There are also entire forums on the internet dealing with prepping and survivalism that discuss these issues.
Everything you stated is true Naperville and it's good to attempt to be prepared with life's necessities. But even if you're able to stock up with 6 months or more of commodities and necessities it still doesn't address the issue of gangs and thugs who will soon figure out who has got food and other necessities when most people don't. Because most of the God-Less thugs I've ever encountered in my life that have no conscience or morals will think nothing of killing people in a heartbeat just to get their next meal>> and those types of people will think nothing of killing you, raping your wife or girlfriend and hijacking all of your belongings in very short order.

Because in a true survival situation that most of us modern Americans or any other modern society for that matter have no conception of a true meltdown. Because at that time most people will not even have a clue until it's way too late. Nothing short of barbaric mayhem will transpire if you have no Police, Firemen, Ambulances or any other emergency services that we currently take for granted that will not be available in a societal meltdown. Any aid that is normally available by making a 911 call will no longer be available>> you will truly be on your own to fend for yourself. You will have to help yourself against criminals and/or any medical emergencies that might arise in the event of a true, life threatening emergency. Then you have the huge problem of all of the coward people that will immediately sell out and turn into Judas-Goats in a feeble attempt to save their own hide>> or to sell you out for their own gain or their own survival. You will find out how many friends you really don't have if and when that time arises.

Right now as we speak in the comfort/safety of our own homes>> just take a hard look at big cities like Chicago right now with all of the Police and medical help available where the thugs and gangs are already killing people like game animals with very little help from the government entities>> and that's already happening now as we speak in a seemingly normal social order. Spydergirl hit the nail on the head when she mentioned the "Thug-Gang" problems that we will all inevitably face at some point during a survival situation. And you don't hear that addressed much during survival seminars. Nor do you hear of game plans to defend yourself if problems of that magnitude were to arise. Even if you are armed you will still have your limitations. Because in a scenario of total mayhem nothing will be available if you happen to run out of anything.

Very few people even have a clue of what could be on the horizon. You all better hope to God above that we can prevent a true meltdown.