S110v - waning popularity?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spook410

Re: S110v - waning popularity?

Post by Spook410 »

And after a fruitless search for 'delete'... Double tap..
Last edited by Spook410 on Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Double tap..
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Jeez.. the dupes..
Last edited by Spook410 on Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

What the heck? Double tap..
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spook410 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:30 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:34 am

No desire though for "chinese folder low end steels" here.
Any more that would be D2 and 9CR18mov which are pretty decent steels that are perfectly adequate for normal and reasonable personal knife requirements. Nothing wrong with VG10 either.

Aficionado's like those lurking about a forum discussing Spyderco's excellent products look for and appreciate the nuances of different knife steels. Particularly high end stuff like S110V that will dazzle us with it's tolerance for abuse. But the market never sleeps so it will be interesting to see what happens at the different price tiers in the market.
Thanks for your reply!

Perhaps we need to define what "chinese folder LOW end steels" does exactly mean... to me certainly not something like D2 (which I actually like a lot, and don t even think is SUPER easy to sharpen), but really more the "tending towards butterknife" steels.

Yes, I obviously like to "discuss Spydercos excellent products" in very detail too... just have not gotten THAT far particularily into steels like some others here. I am glad that there are REX45 / HAP 40 offerings, which for me where I stand now are just about perfect, as long as corrosion resistance is not a concern (which it is not for me).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spook410 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:32 pm
Apologies.. no simple way to delete inadvertent/duplicate posts?
There is no way at all for forum members to delete posts... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

So an advanced average Joe can probably get away with a s110v knife, and a DMT coarse/fine and be good for a long time, right?

Or at least the gauntlet with it's CBN/diamond and Spyderco fine combo
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

GarageBoy wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:26 am
So an advanced average Joe can probably get away with a s110v knife, and a DMT coarse/fine and be good for a long time, right?

Or at least the gauntlet with it's CBN/diamond and Spyderco fine combo
Yes, diamonds and angle control. I used DMT angle guides, Smith diamond stones (coarse and fine) and a strop loaded with green polish for a long time with no problems. I'm not using the DMT Diaspray on my strop, and it works great.

I think there's a reason Spyderco offers S110V as a production steel option while a lot of other trendy alloys don't make the cut.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:23 pm
Spook410 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:30 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:34 am

No desire though for "chinese folder low end steels" here.
Any more that would be D2 and 9CR18mov which are pretty decent steels that are perfectly adequate for normal and reasonable personal knife requirements. Nothing wrong with VG10 either.

Aficionado's like those lurking about a forum discussing Spyderco's excellent products look for and appreciate the nuances of different knife steels. Particularly high end stuff like S110V that will dazzle us with it's tolerance for abuse. But the market never sleeps so it will be interesting to see what happens at the different price tiers in the market.
Thanks for your reply!

Perhaps we need to define what "chinese folder LOW end steels" does exactly mean... to me certainly not something like D2 (which I actually like a lot, and don t even think is SUPER easy to sharpen), but really more the "tending towards butterknife" steels.

Yes, I obviously like to "discuss Spydercos excellent products" in very detail too... just have not gotten THAT far particularily into steels like some others here. I am glad that there are REX45 / HAP 40 offerings, which for me where I stand now are just about perfect, as long as corrosion resistance is not a concern (which it is not for me).
I was thinking 8Cr for low end Chinese folders, but the other poster is correct, 8Cr has been largely surpassed and D2/9Cr become the default steels on lower end Chinese folders (e.g. not WMT blister pack, but not WE, Kizer, Artisan Cutlery, etc.) It's happened over the past few years, but if you haven't noticed, go to your favorite large knife vendor and filter by D2.

As for Rex 45 being a perfect steel, that's become a bit hard to swallow since larrin's testing showed that it basically matched 20CV in CATRA and toughness measurements, but totally lacks the prodigious corrosion resistance of 20CV. 20CV a perfect steel for EDC? Maybe. 20CV striped of it's corrosion resistance a perfect EDC steel? :winking-tongue If you say so.

You were correct in your other post though, the real way to answer your questions about using/sharpening S110V is to get some and actually try it.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Was S110V ever popular?

Sure, it’s had its advocates. I’m not one, even though I do like my S110V PM2 and Native5.

But the steel’s sharpening challenges have proved daunting to many, even here on the forum.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”