Sal - YOU are not listening to us

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

Re: Sal - YOU are not listening to us

Post by RamZar »

A piece of thin cardboard between the clip and scale should do the trick. This is what Benchmade does.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I prefer tip-up, but whatever Sal and Eric decide is fine by me. I'd just change the clip position if necessary.

If I were collecting I'd do like @RamZar and put a piece of cardboard below the clip.

Why is there no popcorn emoji? :thinking
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

RamZar wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:56 pm
A piece of thin cardboard between the clip and scale should do the trick. This is what Benchmade does.

Maybe the new stickers that Spyderco ships with every new knife nowadays can be sandwiched in the clip, makes the stickers more functional. Simple fix. 🙂
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Jared

Post by Jared »

Perhaps_OCD? wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:42 pm
Lots of defensive posts. No one has yet to say they prefer tip down. Odd.

I guess people have different ways of showing their support for a company? Everyone in my family got a spyderco last Christmas. Women got delicas, men PM2's. But hey I guess some of you upping your post count on a forum over something you all would prefer to be changed is one way to promote the brand...
I do prefer to carry the PM2 tip down, as well as the Endura and a few other models. Somewhere around 3.5” of blade length, I generally migrate one way or the other. Under that I tend to carry tip up, over that I tend to carry tip down when there’s an option.

Now, certain knives there is no option, like the Manix 2 or the Military. On those, I just carry the knife whichever way is necessary and drive on.

I personally just don’t get too wrapped around the axle about the whole thing. The exception being the Para 3. I was all set to buy a Lynch clip for my Para 3 until I moved the clip to tip down carry. Saved myself about $20 that day.
Jared

Post by Jared »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:08 pm
In my time on this earth, IRL I've never seen any knife owner swap a knife clip, let alone own a T6 bit... I'm in the land of Case knives or gas station specials tho.
Quoted for truth.....

I have a friend, super nice guy. He’s a mechanical engineer and also serves as a volunteer firefighter. He got married recently. I bought him a thin red line Rescue for a wedding gift since in their entire registry I could tell he hadn’t picked out a single item.

He loves the knife. He’s also a lefty. He also never moved the pocket clip. So he’s carrying a knife setup for right handed tip up carry in his left pocket. Next time I see him, I’m gonna change that for him, or I’ll have another mutual friend who lives down the road from him fix it.
anycal

Post by anycal »

If Eric prefers it that way, then let him change it to tip down, after he gets a new one from the factory, configured the way it should be. Tip up! :winking-tongue
Peter
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I prefer tip-down on large knives like the Military and Police. I've owned a couple PM2's but don't care for the design.

In my opinion, your thread title it is not only false, but disrespectful. Clickbait gone too far.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:48 pm
Perhaps_OCD? wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:38 pm
Naperville wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:34 pm
We like the clips with the blade tip-up. This OCD guy is just another Blade Forum reject.
I like the clips with the blade tip up too buddy!
I'd recognize those fingernails anywhere. You're Nick Shabazz aren't you! You even used proper grammar and called me "buddy."

:cheap-sunglasses
Almost Immediately hearing Shabazz made me read this whole Trollmaster 3000™️ thread, even a text based decoy Shabazz has entertainment value, and its nice to see some unbridled, irresponsibly placed passion! Stir it up Perhaps One Crazy Dude! *eats popcorn with Earth Balance butter substitute*
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

Cheddarnut wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:59 pm
Naperville wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:48 pm
Perhaps_OCD? wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:38 pm
Naperville wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:34 pm
We like the clips with the blade tip-up. This OCD guy is just another Blade Forum reject.
I like the clips with the blade tip up too buddy!
I'd recognize those fingernails anywhere. You're Nick Shabazz aren't you! You even used proper grammar and called me "buddy."

:cheap-sunglasses
Almost Immediately hearing Shabazz made me read this whole Trollmaster 3000™️ thread, even a text based decoy Shabazz has entertainment value, and its nice to see some unbridled, irresponsibly placed passion! Stir it up Perhaps One Crazy Dude! *eats popcorn with Earth Balance butter substitute*
Make no mistake, this factory Nicked (haaa get it) PM2 is still a solid gem, especially with the solid (haa) brass handles. BUT it is a flawed gem like a Benchmade 940, Griptilian, you get my point.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Perhaps_OCD? wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:29 pm

The data we have available. There is none showing the contrary. The likely reason almost every knife over $100 is tip up (including Spyderco's) AND the forum polls reflect it, is because its what people want.
Am I reading the highlighted part correctly? You're saying of the three polls you provided links to no one voted for tip down?

Two hundred fifteen people responded to the 3 polls. Of those 215 people 72 stated they wanted the PM 2's to come from the factory tip down. Then there are the other two in the poll that wanted no clip installed at all. Those preferences are contrary to tip up.
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

Pokey wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:18 pm
Perhaps_OCD? wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:29 pm

The data we have available. There is none showing the contrary. The likely reason almost every knife over $100 is tip up (including Spyderco's) AND the forum polls reflect it, is because its what people want.
Am I reading the highlighted part correctly? You're saying of the three polls you provided links to no one voted for tip down?

Two hundred fifteen people responded to the 3 polls. Of those 215 people 72 stated they wanted the PM 2's to come from the factory tip down. Then there are the other two in the poll that wanted no clip installed at all. Those preferences are contrary to tip up.
Go back and read buddy. We were talking about the majority. It’s right above where you got that. The minority prefers tip down based on the poles and pretty much how the entire knife industry views clip placement.

We’ve also found in this thread that the clip placement is due to Eric’s preference. So Sal is indeed not listing to customers.

This thread is pretty much wrapped up.

Spyderco’s clip placement has nothing to do with what the customers want. It’s Eric’s preference.

Benchmade smartly puts cardboard under the clip.

Spyderco is going to get back this knife under warranty. This is the only PM2 out of 21 I own that I’ve ever sent in. That is pretty impressive, and is a sign of their excellent. I am perhaps OCD and have high standards.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

How many thousands and thousands of PM 2's has Spyderco sold? And, 142 people that responded to 3 polls is a majority?
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

Pokey wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:35 pm
How many thousands and thousands of PM 2's has Spyderco sold? And, 142 people that responded to 3 polls is a majority?
When it is more than half of those that responded yes Pokey; that is what a majority is. It’s literally how people use the word. We don’t have data on the others. Are you assuming that means they’re all tip down? Or are different? What data do you have to show this.
Demon85z

Post by Demon85z »

I do run tip up solely for the reason that my first spyderco gifted to me,was a saber grind combo edge delica. I based everything off of that knife for draw, muscle memory says tip up for me. I bought 4 pm2s this month and because of this thread I'm going to challenge myself to carry the knife the way spyderco intended on it for the pm2 platform.I am at a point where I have total faith in the brand. Who knows this challenge may lead me to change all of my knives to tip down, or I may decide, hey I guess that's why they have 4 options on it...its personal preference that I appreciate. I will say that usually (especially on the titanium models) they put a clear plastic spacer in to prevent the clip marring the finish, perhaps for the very reason of customizing where you finalize the clip . The copper didnt come with one that I remember but I have not moved the clip yet to see if mine is marked like yours. I would be willing to bet if you mailed the knife in requesting the clip to be tip up and the scales either replaced or buffed out they would do it. They 100% stand behind every product and do genuinely care about their customers.
:bug-red-white I collect them all, and use them all! I use the excuse, "I'm trying to find the perfect one", but in reality, they are all perfect in their own way!
Cali HogHead

Post by Cali HogHead »

dkelley661 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:15 pm
and don't forget the dudes in California....are clips even legal there?
They AREN'T legal here! Unless they aren't concealed, are less than 2 inches in length, and have a rounded end.

Joking aside, your post made me laugh harder than I had all day. Thank you.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Cali HogHead wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:11 pm
dkelley661 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:15 pm
and don't forget the dudes in California....are clips even legal there?
They AREN'T legal here! Unless they aren't concealed, are less than 2 inches in length, and have a rounded end.

Joking aside, your post made me laugh harder than I had all day. Thank you.
In case anyone is confused about the knife laws in California, see California Penal Code Section 17235. California does not have any size limit for folding knives concealed or openly carried so long as they're folded. If you carry it in the open and locked position it's considered a dirk or dagger which is more restricted and must be carried openly (I don't know why anyone would want to do that). Carrying a folding knife in the folded position with a clip is not a restricted at all. OTF's, full autos and switchblades are not legal. That's it.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Los Angeles, San Francisco and Oakland go beyond California law by restricting blade lengths to under 3 inches. Some Cities and Counties have further restrictions than the State in certain locations. Chicago and Boston are other examples.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Not sure if this thread is meant to be taken totally serious??

So much is just wrong here:..

- "We" (forum members) are not "the customers"
- It wouid be weird if a company based its decisions on two or three polls where a few hundred people participate
- It is not easy anyway to design a meaningful poll. For msny reasons, just one being that normally the people who want a change will participate in larger percentages than those who are fine with a situation anyway.
- And so on....

For the record: Yes, I personally prefer tip up too, in any foldee so far (would like to have that option on the Millie too)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

RamZar wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:53 pm
Los Angeles, San Francisco and Oakland go beyond California law by restricting blade lengths to under 3 inches. Some Cities and Counties have further restrictions than the State in certain locations. Chicago and Boston are other examples.
So, California law says knives have to be tip down?

(just kidding)

I am a tip up guy and HEY, I've got two PM2 sitting here next to me, both still in the factory tip down setup.
I need to get my Torx drivers and fix this pronto. I've been carrying these for months and never noticed.
Shows how vital and important this is, eh?
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

RamZar wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:53 pm
Exactly. Denver does the same thing while most of Colorado is unrestricted. I find that to be the case in a lot of the large cities I travel to as well.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.