Touching up a serrated edge on the go?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sonorum

Touching up a serrated edge on the go?

Post by Sonorum »

Now and then I need to touch up an edge during the day. A plain edge is usually taken care if with something like a spyderco double stuff and my question is what you guys use for serrated edges? I still haven't found a method I'm totally satisfied with.
/ David
ZetaH

Re: Touching up a serrated edge on the go?

Post by ZetaH »

For me dc4 is a good option
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Double stuff or Gatco Triceps (ceramic). A Lansky serration sharpener is another low cost option.
FK

Post by FK »

Spyderco Double Stuff 2 ???

Regards,
CK
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

One single brown or diamond/cbn rod would do it if you don't mind carrying something like that and you trust your ability to freehand it. Otherwise if weight isn't a concern the Goldenstone works great.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kobold

Post by kobold »

I have DoubleStuff, DC4 and a Victorinox Dual-knife sharpener for on the go.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

You could also deliberately break a brown sharpmaker rod in order to get a more portable, shorter pieces for SE sharpening on the go.

That being said: One of the advantages of SE is exactly that it does not need touch ups as frequently as PE imo.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
araneae

Post by araneae »

I keep a ceramic file slip stone in my desk at work and have another in the kitchen drawer. Works great for SE touchups.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm going to stick to my guns on this one. My Spyderco 701 Profiles are an excellent portable sharpening tool for serrated edges. They work very well in the field and on hunting and fishing trips. I do hope at some point that Spyderco brings back those 701 Profiles again. I was lucky and get 3 extra sets when I found out they were going to discontinue them.

I'm also looking very forward to the progress on the GOLDENSTONE. I've been working with a medium grit version of the GOLDENSTONE recently and it does a great job in the field.

Those Doublestuff stones can't be beat either.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

What I've used is a DC4 and a DMT folding double sharpener. I haven't thought about the victorinox one, that's interesting!

I sharpen freehand, edge towards me and switching hands depending in what side I sharpen. How do you guys do it? What technique do you use?

If i ever need new stones for the sharpmaker I'd probably break the stones if got, I really like Spydercos stones, but they are a bit big to carry along as they are now.

I'll probably get a Double stuff as well. As I said, I really like the finish I get from the Spyderco stones.
Last edited by Sonorum on Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/ David
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

I got to thinking of what methods one could use because this weekend I found myself at my in-laws house breaking down a lot of boxes (I'm usually put to work) which dulled my knife quite a bit and I forgot my usual pocket sharpeners at home.
/ David
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

I really wish they would make the 701MF profiles again! I have 2x double stuffs (one for home and field) and the other is in my briefcase because I cannot abide a dull knife anywhere even if it’s a a coworkers.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
kobold

Post by kobold »

This technique can be used w/ all stones I guess:

Vivi also made a video about two months ago.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10