Accessory : suggestions for a Spyderco keyring/keychain

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Araignee

Accessory : suggestions for a Spyderco keyring/keychain

Post by Araignee »

You know, I'm a sucker for goodies :zany

After browsing that thread about the Spyderco stickers, I thought it'd be cool to have Spyderco keyrings too.

Keyrings are useful for all sorts of reasons... whether it's to sort one's many sets of keys, to offer small gifts to friends and colleagues, or (for Spyderco) as merchandising items to promote the company.

And just recently, the online reseller where I bought my new Spyderco knives gave me a free SpyderCoin 2021 as a commercial gesture ; to apologise for a sending a pouch in the wrong colour (i.e. not the one I had ordered - but which the staff chose to send anyway). It's something which I certainly appreciate, and the SpyderCoin is well-made... however I have no use for it. Now, if instead the staff had a SpyderRing at their disposal and had sent me one instead, I'd have been happier.

Looking at the Spyderco website, there doesn't seem to be a company branded keyring currently on offer.
Additionally, I've spent some time using the search function of the forum - but haven't come across such a keyring which would have been made in the past.

There are cool Spyderco lanyards for sale, but neither their price nor their use are in the same ballpark.

So, anyway, below are two designs which I offer for consideration :

SpyderRing version A

SpyderRing version B

Pardon my crude design skills, however I think these are pretty much representative of what I envision.

There's just one thing I wasn't able to draw : the relief of the various curves, given -of course- the keyrings would be embossed, so as to provude a quality, 3D feeling under the fingers.

The keyrings would be sized reasonably, around 4 cm wide (1,5748 inch). They would ship with a split ring and perhaps a carabiner too.

Here's hoping that Sal and the team will be thinking positively about releasing a bug-style keyring :crossed-fingers

(And now that I think about it, just like with the SpyderCoins, there could be yearly SpyderRings as well. That is the sort of stuff I could see myself collecting - their inherent practicality would lessen the guilt of accumulating needlessly :beaming-face)
VooDooChild

Re: Accessory : suggestions for a Spyderco keyring/keychain

Post by VooDooChild »

My Spyderco keychain is called the manbug salt.
;)
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I think it would be cool to have one. I'd go one step further and make it a tool with the two torx bits that Spyderco uses for their knives. Tighten your pivot anywhere as long as you have you keys. Im thinking it would sell well
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:20 pm
;)
*Stands up to initiate slow clap* - perfect answer, sir! :rofl
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

You already have your keyring. Drill a hole in that coin, run a split ring through it... and voila!

Playing with the idea above by Albertaboyscott, it would drive the price up, but I love the idea of a key chain spider with a hex hole in the head and two wiha bits bungeed in its abdomen.
PStone

Post by PStone »

I dig the idea. I remeber reading once that Sal's inspiration for the clipped knife was a little frog keychain that clipped onto the top of your pocket. It made the keys more accessible instead of digging into the bottom of your pocket.

Point being, I would absolutely be into something like this. And I hope to see a clip integrated somehow.

And a neck lanyard to go along with it too!
Danke

Post by Danke »

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Yeah not the first time this has been mentioned

I made my own

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Albertaboyscott wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:27 pm
I think it would be cool to have one. I'd go one step further and make it a tool with the two torx bits that Spyderco uses for their knives. Tighten your pivot anywhere as long as you have you keys. Im thinking it would sell well
bobnikon wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:11 am
Playing with the idea above by Albertaboyscott, it would drive the price up, but I love the idea of a key chain spider with a hex hole in the head and two wiha bits bungeed in its abdomen.
Nice suggestions :star-struck
That would render the SpyderRing series even more functional.

However I worry that if the Torx bits were "built out", i.e. permanently exposed, they could quickly deteriorate.
Or, if they were removeable and carried within the keyring - how to ensure that they wouldn't be lost ?

I've been thinking about a slip-joint arm lodged in-between the two sides of the keyring, with a non-removeable Torx bit on its end :

However, assuming it's technically feasible in the first place, I don't think two such arms could be implemented on the same keyring.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

PStone wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:07 pm
I dig the idea. I remeber reading once that Sal's inspiration for the clipped knife was a little frog keychain that clipped onto the top of your pocket. It made the keys more accessible instead of digging into the bottom of your pocket.

Point being, I would absolutely be into something like this. And I hope to see a clip integrated somehow.

So if I understand correctly, one side would be the bug logo, and the otherside would be a clip.
Kinda like those fridge magnets which are capable of holding notes - but for the pocket :thinking

Yes, this could be both useful and fashionable. One more SpyderRing model in the line up :hand-over-mouth
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Danke wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:17 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:31 pm
Yeah not the first time this has been mentioned

I made my own

Nice to see a legacy model and a home-made one :cheap-sunglasses

Although that official model looks plasticky and gimmicky. I'd rather have a solid, metal one ; and without a cheap light as I have my own AAA keyring light.

Sharp Guy, did you cut out yours out of a metal sheet ?
It makes me think that, along with the wooden Delica which Spyderco has released, perhaphs they could release the files for a 3D-printed model. Printing your own (plastic) knife, how cool is that ?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Araignee wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:53 pm
Sharp Guy, did you cut out yours out of a metal sheet ?
I made it on a 3D printer
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
PStone

Post by PStone »

Araignee wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:46 pm
PStone wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:07 pm

So if I understand correctly, one side would be the bug logo, and the otherside would be a clip.
Kinda like those fridge magnets which are capable of holding notes - but for the pocket :thinking

Yes, this could be both useful and fashionable. One more SpyderRing model in the line up :hand-over-mouth
Well basically, yes. I’m envisioning your first two designs being 1/8” thick steel. And then tapped for a small spoon clip like on the small stainless clipitool knives. That way it could be removed for those not into the clip.

Or even SharpGuy’s 3D printed version with a homage to the older style integral clips on the backside. I know you’re not into the plastics, but I can see that being just as cool.

I can even envision the SpyderBug cutout like the forum bugs. But then bend the two front legs downward to form a pocket hanger from them.

And also package it with a neck lanyard….
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Here’s the way I roll. :winking-tongue
Attachments
C59697FA-1E8C-46AF-B059-C33F0724CD3B.jpeg
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Got this from the bayImage
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:00 pm
Got this from the bay

Nice!
So it goes.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Those scales are really something else!!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:20 pm
;)

Ditto!

More precisely, Manbug Lightweight Salt Sheepsfoot SpyderEdge H1. Very handy!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:10 pm
I made it on a 3D printer
Nice DIY project :cheap-sunglasses
So the material is PLA I presume. Did you think about posting the files on Thingiverse ?
PStone wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:28 pm
Well basically, yes. I’m envisioning your first two designs being 1/8” thick steel. And then tapped for a small spoon clip like on the small stainless clipitool knives. That way it could be removed for those not into the clip.

Or even SharpGuy’s 3D printed version with a homage to the older style integral clips on the backside. I know you’re not into the plastics, but I can see that being just as cool.

I can even envision the SpyderBug cutout like the forum bugs. But then bend the two front legs downward to form a pocket hanger from them.

And also package it with a neck lanyard….
I like your imagination, especially the concept of having the bug's front legs acting as a clip 👌

I'm not sure I understand your small spoon clip proposal zo. It would be a normal keyring on both side, except it'd feature additional little holes to mount a clip ? That'd be ingenious and versatile, with the caveat that such a keyring wouldn't look good without the clip, as it'd show empty holes.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Pokey wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:03 pm
Here’s the way I roll. :winking-tongue
Not too pocket friendly but at least it doubles as a mug :grin-sweat
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:00 pm
Got this from the bayImage
Gurls that's dope ! :smiling-heart-eyes Do you have a reference for this particular keyring, perchance ?
I've tried looking it up, without avail. Seems like I didn't use the right keywords.