Spyderco is the Rolex of the knife world

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Accutron

Re: Spyderco is the Rolex of the knife world

Post by Accutron »

This thread needs more pics of non-Rolex watches...

standy99

Post by standy99 »

Spyderco is the Omega of the watch world

Plenty of watches in store. Plenty of watches with cutting edge technology.

Like Omega the Limited Editions sell out fast and are coveted

Rolex is unobtainium

I’m a watch collector more than knife collector and I have had both brands and both Rolex and Omega are similar middle level production watches.

A wise collector said this 20 years ago.

Rolex is marketing 101. Every Rolex you buy you buy a billboard somewhere in the world also.

We all know a knife brand that is similar to Spyderco but double the price due to marketing
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
kobold

Post by kobold »

If we insist on watch comparisons, to me Spyderco is really like Seiko.

With Seiko you get good quality for not much money and top quality for thousands of dollars with their Grand Seiko line. They have a lot of models, there is something for everybody.

They have a lot of iconic and widely popular models like the SKX007, the Alpinist, the Snowflake, just like Spyderco with the Military, the PM2, or the Delica.

Last but not least, they also made a lot of game changing innovations, just like Spyderco.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I’m not sure I can accept the generalization stated in the title of the thread when it’s based on the availability of a single model.

If you’re looking for tip strength, there’s a number of models that will do exactly what you want: Amalgam, Shaman, Lil Native, etc.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Blueboost

Post by Blueboost »

I'm so glad I made this thread...

Rolex is the king of production watches. The pm2 is the submariner of the knife world. The Paramariner is a thing, prove me wrong! Rolex movements are extremely well designed and thought out, they are my favorite to work with.

Who said I don't buy spydercos anymore, or don't love Sal and co. like family? It was painful to consider buying something other than a Spyderco after 30 years. My loyalty is not to be questioned, only my sanity.

More pics of knives and watches! Quartz/smart watches need not apply! I'll take some, but I'm currently driving, eating, and practicing flipping this new Benchmade thumb stud thing open and closed... Someone has put a peg where there should be a round hole!!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

These comparisons rarely work for me, the car ones don't either, but I agree with kobold that Seiko is closer, and I am a fan of both brands.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Hmmm. Perhaps, being a poor, I just don't relate to the analogy? :zany

Hah, truth be told, I actually haven't worn a wristwatch regularly since I got my first cell phone, about twenty years ago now.. carrying the time around in two places just started to seem redundant to me..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Blueboost

Post by Blueboost »

Just the tip?

Para2 VS c46 initial run

Para2 VS drop point microtech ultratech (notice I purchased drop point instead of the tanto thank you very much :winking-tongue )

Blueboost

Post by Blueboost »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:06 pm
I note the VG10 sprint I have coming does not retain the Appleseed, yet the taper on the spine at the tip seems about like yours. So are you declaring an actual loss of tip-strength with the change in design, or just holding to design principle?

Did production versions after the original Ti retain the Appleseed?
Yah, the sprint runs were different in a kind've a bad way. I chipped the tip on my hap40 sprint very quickly. They also used inferior washers imo (Teflon vs copper) so the blades are like spaced out from the scales. It would be great for water use. The Bob Lum Appleseed and tip finishing was a bit lost in final finish. The originals blade angles come together to realize this almost bullet like tip. Useable, and unbreakable, Its a true work of art. I don't think anyone knew what they had, it was way ahead of it's time. The sprints are amazing knives just not the same. The hap40 was so cool, with the laminated blade being a homage to the hamon line. Thats a great piece. I only sold mine to fund the numbered original Ti with the bombproof tip grind. All of the other original production versions I had came with it. I had a plain black g10 version and that one was my favorite for sure, the titanium version scales are thicker on one side leaving the blade offset. I cut some really questionable stuff with that original g10 Lum back in the late 90s early 2000's.. it saw things! I would pay serious money to get that one back.
Last edited by Blueboost on Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blueboost

Post by Blueboost »

Blueboost

Post by Blueboost »

Official knife/watch picture thread?
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Blueboost wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:33 pm

Belongs in "Off-Topic" or "Picture Gallery"

This entire thread has been click-baity, and that request put it over the top.
So it goes.
Blueboost

Post by Blueboost »

C46 the original Spyderco "tanto". Better than the rest. Nihonto is drop point. Do it right. Do it again.

Blueboost

Post by Blueboost »

Airlsee wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:38 pm
Blueboost wrote:

Belongs in "Off-Topic" or "Picture Gallery"

This entire thread has been click-baity, and that request put it over the top.
Oh please. that is obvious. You love this. You posted. You FEEL something. My post meant we need a watch/knife thread, not to turn this one into it. It will be boring, 10% of this forum posting the same pic of their Casioaks.

For Christ sakes, can we not let it roll? If this thread gets shut down I'm going to be pissed. Sal, Eric, you love it. Bob would love it. I have championed him on this forum for decades.

Two ideas.
Lets revolutionize the drop point folder. I'd like to call it the panty dropper, but I know that's not going to fly in 2021 so let's spitball other names.. in the meantime, I've had another revelation. Seriously, jokes aside for once.

The main idea. Which I should have stated a long time ago.
Blunted/tanto PM2 in H1. THATS the Paramariner! As a diver imo it's no problem making it a folder, I'd be fine with it. I've lost most fixed blades I carried on dives or got negative attention from territorial fish from the shiney bits. An above/underwater gentleman's folder. The watch forums (HUGE communities) just rampantly posting pics of their Paramariners with droplets and dive gear next to their watches. These are the last of our jewelry as men. And we want function. Even my swim trunks are cargo pants. I carry a knife at the beach in FL, it's crazy here. PARAMARINER.

The Rolex submariner of the knife industry.

I trust my extended family in Golden will kick me 5% back for the name, and/or are currently and quietly registering the trademark as we speak before closing this thread.
Last edited by Blueboost on Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Blueboost wrote:
As long as I don't see any :rocket * pics, I'm all for it! :zany

*d@mn - 87 new emojis and no eggplant..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
jdw

Post by jdw »

I have watched this thread without commenting and it is an interesting thread if you are in to collecting things; there I guess I get the comparison. If you just want to use something to tell you the time then it's much more practical to use the cell phone that you are carrying around than wearing some kind of statement piece even if the statement is "I am really into this". There are a few Spydie models that I don't normally carry that I will carry if I am going around other knife people, just to share. I guess this is the same kind of thing?

EDIT: Just take time to watch the sky.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
recoil

Post by recoil »

Quality never goes out of style, or loses value.
I wear and carry the highest quality tools I can afford,
Fortunately I purchased the watch 21 years ago when I could actually afford it.
Attachments
rollie.jpg
Blueboost

Post by Blueboost »

recoil wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:08 am
Man that is in amazing condition for 21 years old, the insert hasn't even began to patina. Looks like a service dial? Quality lasts. One of my favorite Spyderco models also. Great taste my friend! Let me know when you're ready for a tune up on that beauty.
recoil

Post by recoil »

Blueboost wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:24 pm
recoil wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:08 am
Man that is in amazing condition for 21 years old, the insert hasn't even began to patina. Looks like a service dial? Quality lasts. One of my favorite Spyderco models also. Great taste my friend! Let me know when you're ready for a tune up on that beauty.
Thanks Blueboost, I may take you up on that.
I have all 3 bezel variations for this 16710 GMT. As well as both bracelets. The only item ever replaced was the crystal.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Blueboost, I guess you do watch servicing and repair?