Anyone ever accidentally launch your knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Popsickle

Anyone ever accidentally launch your knife?

Post by Popsickle »

So admittedly I was being an idiot, but I just accidentally launched my Spyderco Tuff through the living roo. Yes, it bounced off multiple objects and went kind of far…..

ZERO damage to the knife. Love it

Anyone else accidentally just absolutely launch your knife by mistake?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Anyone ever accidentally launch your knife?

Post by Doc Dan »

No, I don't flick my knives. I think it is dangerous.

I have dropped a few and was almost stabbed in the foot by a liner lock that came open on the bounce. I don't do those, either.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This is a big reason why we don't flick. That, and premature wear.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Sort of.

I had three or four X-acto knives on a tabletop at work yesterday and snagged them with my sleeve. Naturally, gravity being a law, (not a suggestion,) one launched off the table and headed down towards my foot. It landed tip down in my shoe.

Luckily, I had a pair of Keen shoes on that are made of thick leather, so the tip didn’t hit the fleshy bits.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:37 am

I have dropped a few and was almost stabbed in the foot by a liner lock that came open on the bounce. I don't do those, either.
Yeah, I rarely flick and when I do, it is only those models that are super easy. That's probably why I don't get upset like many do about how certain G10 models are easy to flick whilst their FRN counter parts aren't. I just use my thumb in the spydie hole and open a tiny bit more slowly. Never had a situation where flicking it open would have made any difference in resolving a situation.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

z1r wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:46 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:37 am

Yeah, I rarely flick and when I do, it is only those models that are super easy. That's probably why I don't get upset like many do about how certain G10 models are easy to flick whilst their FRN counter parts aren't. I just use my thumb in the spydie hole and open a tiny bit more slowly. Never had a situation where flicking it open would have made any difference in resolving a situation.
I also find the solid lockup sound of a slow roll to be more pleasing too. A Shaman, or Native Chief sound great to me with a slow roll lockup :cheap-sunglasses

-Rick
Matus

Post by Matus »

When you guys say 'flick' you mean trying to open a knife by just by a wrist movement without using the tab or a spydiehole?
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Matus wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:48 am
When you guys say 'flick' you mean trying to open a knife by just by a wrist movement without using the tab or a spydiehole?
I think of it as when you flick it open with some finger vigor haha! With either your thumb or middle finger.

*I'm totally guilty of fidgeting with my Smock* But that's really about it for me.

-Rick
Matus

Post by Matus »

Well, flicking a knife like PM2 does not make much force, so the chance of me loosing the grip of the blade is basically zero. Now trying to do the same with Chief is a different story. I once tried spydie flick and failed spectacularly. The tip of the knife gently cut my palm on during the attempted opening - which failed - and then cut my tip of the finger on the way back. Both injuries were very superficial, but lesson learned :D
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I have been guilty of this behavior but I don’t do often. I haven’t ever launched one. Like everyone I’ve had a drop or two. When I get a new knife I open it with a slow thumb roll, and sometimes a Spydie drop, CBBL’s sometimes with a wrist flick if I am in a hurry. The trick of opening rapidly with a finger flick on a frame lock doesn’t feel natural to me. So I don’t do that.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
z1r

Post by z1r »

I only "flick" knives that I can just use my thumb for. If I have to get any wrist action involved, I won't try to flick, too much energy involved which might lead to an unintended launch. My LW Manix 2 is a great example of this. My Hap40 version I can work the detent on and ever so slightly move my wrist and it opens. But the LW version requires a vigorous flick of the wrist so I just do the "slow" roll with my thumb. Doesn't really bother me because once open, it cuts the same, lol. My s30v m2 is almost too easy to open/close. It is so drop shutty that the blade actually bounces back open. But boy does it open easily!

That said, I do have other brands of knives with a flipper and I love to flick those open, but they do so with such ease, much like the smock which I have yet to buy.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I have to admit that I flick all of my Spydies all the time and with all fingers (pinky in a reverse grip of course) - regardless of the locktype, but mostly backlocks. Just cause the vast majority of mine feature that locktype.

Unnecessary? Sure
Silly? Perhaps, but I enjoy it ;)

BUT: I never even came close to launching a Spydie while flicking it open.
Not very likely anyway, if you imagine the typical "flicking" motion. Not really tossing the knife AWAY from you

I can recall some accounts here where people "launched" comp.lock knives while closing them in the typical comp.lock pinch grip method. Never happened to me too, but it is much more likely to launch a knife in that scenario (than while flicking it), cause it actually gets somehow tossed AWAY with this motion.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Launched?! No. I've dropped a knife a time or two (usually closed), but never sent one into orbit..

I always thumb-roll open as well.. I have many knives and rotate my daily carry frequently.. the thumb-roll allows me to open a variety of knives (Spydiehole, differently-shaped thumbstuds, etc.) in a way that is uniform and generally pretty consistent across platforms. Consistency is safe.. maybe a little boring haha.. but I've never sent a knife flying across a room! :winking-tongue
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
James Y

Post by James Y »

Launched a knife? Never.

I have accidentally dropped knives a few times, a couple times just getting my foot out of the way in time.

I used to flick knives a long time ago but stopped. I stick to the basic thumb open. IMO, it's far less stressful to the knife's tolerances over time than flicking it.

Jim
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I sent the cap of $300 fountain pen flying across a room once. Was sitting in those college chair desk combos where the desk flipped up. Elbow in the wrong spot and next thing I know, I had to walk across the room to find my pen cap (and hope that no one saw it because they definitely would either either dragged it out with their foot or kicked it over to me)
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Popsickle wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:21 am
So admittedly I was being an idiot, but I just accidentally launched my Spyderco Tuff through the living roo. Yes, it bounced off multiple objects and went kind of far…..

holy smokes flicking is my pet peeve
Watching YouTube videos with people flicking knives really is annoying !
to me gives me a major case of monkey but , what happened to make you launch a knife by flicking? :zany :zany
The thumb hole works for me
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Nope.

I've dropped a few knives, and have been cut by being careless before, but never launched a knife across the room. I don't really even know what would cause something like that...maybe if it was laying on an unstable board and something else falls on the opposite end, creating a see-saw effect?

I'd be interested to hear how you managed to launch a 7oz knife.

I don't have a problem flicking my knives, but it's not something I need to do or really even attempt on some models.
So it goes.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

S-3 ranch wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:55 am
Popsickle wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:21 am

holy smokes flicking is my pet peeve
Last edited by S-3 ranch on Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i very rarely lose control of my knife, but i just threw my bbbarfly across my desk at work. so much for inconspicuous fidgeting.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Yep, I've sent a Ladybug flying trying to middle finger flick it.
-Nick :bug-red